Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Lens?

Good Morning,

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a new camera and I am going to suggest a Kr, but I am not sure of a lens. She wants it to shoot at concerts to commence with so it will have to be a zoom heading into the 250mm or 300mm range. I am going to give her a monopod that I do not want so that she can shoot at a slow speed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

11-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If price were no object then a constant f-stop zoom like an f4 or f2.8 would be best for low light concerts. I'm guessing that if its her first dSLR and a K-r then cost is an object. The 55-300 kit zoom is remarkably good for its range but its aperture gets pretty small at the long end - goes to f5.8 pretty quickly. With high ISO on the newer Pentax cameras that might work for her. The other way to go is to get an older manual focus lens like a 135/2.8 or even an 85/1.4 but that poses the challenges of manual focus. How about a K-01 - they're dirt cheap now and their low light ability is supposed to be the same as the K-5 AND they have focus peaking if she wants to go with a fast manual focus lens, but she looses the optical viewfinder.
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's hard to get a long lenses into concerts... but hey. There are just a pile of issues. For low light a K-x might be better. You probably want a pretty fast lens...but I'd see what venues she wants to shoot to see if she'd need that much focal length. Unless she's shooting from the boonies, a Tamron 70-200 2.8 might be the best bet. But most of our concert shooters are shooting with much shorter lenses. I'm sure you'll here from them soon.
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's hard to get a long lenses into concerts... but hey. There are just a pile of issues. For low light a K-x might be better. You probably want a pretty fast lens...but I'd see what venues she wants to shoot to see if she'd need that much focal length. Unless she's shooting from the boonies, a Tamron 70-200 2.8 might be the best bet. But most of our concert shooters are shooting with much shorter lenses. I'm sure you'll here from them soon.
Good point. The old MF 135s are pretty descent and very small for their reach. Several venues around here allow NO PROFESSIONAL CAMERAS. Whatever. So my K-x is but how about the K-01? I think that many of the security are power-tripping and have no idea so a camera with no viewfinder might just get past when a K-x might not (although some have said that their white K-x gets through because everyone knows that real cameras come in black only)

11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A 70-200/2.8 would be very good for shooting concerts. If she is able to get close enough to the front, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 would be another good choice. While I have the 55-300 and love using it, it is a hindrance when it comes to low-lighting events. I love using it for sports, birds; anything outdoors. But when it comes to indoor concerts, I don't enjoy using it.
11-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Most concerts I've been to don't allow "professional cameras", generally this means a camera with a removable lens.
11-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess we should asked to start: When shooting at concerts, will she be an ordinary patron with a normal ticket? Or will she have a press/photographer pass and allowed to stand in designated areas? If she's just a normal patron, then something like the Pentax Q might be more useful. While it supports interchangeable lenses, she may be able to get away with it because it doesn't "look" like a professional camera.
11-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
I guess we should asked to start: When shooting at concerts, will she be an ordinary patron with a normal ticket? Or will she have a press/photographer pass and allowed to stand in designated areas? If she's just a normal patron, then something like the Pentax Q might be more useful. While it supports interchangeable lenses, she may be able to get away with it because it doesn't "look" like a professional camera.
That, and a smaller lens (stealth mode!) will grant more bang for the buck when viewing distant subjects. Even a simple 50mm would give about a 265mm equivalent. A 135mm on the Q would be 715mm or so equivalent.

11-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A white K01 with some hellokitty graphics might get in or a yellow pikachu one. And then use the 40xs as a front. once she gets in, bring out the 55-300. I'm pretty sure she'll be able to get some decent shots from the K01 even if she pushed the ISO to its limits(As long as she shoots RAW).
11-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Here in Sweden most of the camera restrictions at concerts are diminishing, to my great joy! Why limit the free advertising at all? I had most joy with the DA70 at concerts in the crowd, as I'm always in front and like the small lens in the pushing crowd. The DA60-250 would be great though when you got some free movement, maybe with a wideangle like the DA15/DA21 in the pocket.