Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens Storage

Let's say I had a friend who had accumulated - say 40 - nice lenses and wanted to know the best ideas for storing them. I have been - excuse me - my friend has been using old camera bags but it's hard to remember what is in each bag. Are they any other good ideas? It would also be best if my wife - I mean my friend's wife, did not see the scope of this collection.

11-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your friend shouldn't use a glass humidity controlled case then because when your wife visits him she will be able to see all then nice lenses.

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-16-2012 at 09:33 PM.
11-16-2012, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have a friend that is in a similar situation. This said friend has been investigating things such as Ikea draws to store them and getting foam inserts with cut outs for each lens. Each lens has its spot, and is not rattling round in bags bashing into each other. He feels that the best place to keep them is in a garage or somewhere the better half is not inclind to look.***

***Note - If (reads: when) the wife were to discover this storage, spare pillow and blankets are stored in the cupboard, and the couch is a suitable place to be for the next couple of nights.
11-16-2012, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Your friend could get/make a dry cabinet, cover the outside in tin sheet, paint it red and lable it flammable chemicals do not touch.

11-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #5

I think your friend should just man up and tell his wife, this is how it is.

But whatever your friend decides, i understand those silica gel things are good to keep the moisture away when storing photographic equipment

Last edited by markl62; 11-17-2012 at 12:46 AM.
11-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #6

Make sure to at least store them with some sort of electronic moisture dehumidifier to prevent any nasty mould spreading.
11-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
You're not married, are you?

11-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your friend could store them at my house, well away from the prying eyes of said wife.

Regards
11-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Your friend could store them at my house, well away from the prying eyes of said wife.

Regards
And I guess to ensure they still function, take them out occasionally to test them
11-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think your friend should get one of those big glass display cases with the light bulbs and the mirrors and all of those bits and tell their wife "Look what I bought us, I'm taking this side, the rest is yours."

Then if the wife protests you can feign frustration about how you bought her such a nice present and she's rejecting it? WTF?
11-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
I agree, but then again if my boyfriend confessed he had a secret stash of lenses.... I'd jump him in excitement.

It might be easier to confess rather than face that ackward conversation when you come home and your wife is waiting for you, with your collection spread out on the table.
11-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
I agree, but then again if my boyfriend confessed he had a secret stash of lenses.... I'd jump him in excitement.

It might be easier to confess rather than face that ackward conversation when you come home and your wife is waiting for you, with your collection spread out on the table.
Or tells you that she loaned them to someone else.
11-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Oi! If you are ever in Australia, I have a secret stash of lenses!
11-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have (I mean your friend has) three separate problems:
1) Protecting the lenses from physical damage. Hard cases with foam cut-outs or bags with separate compartments or individual lens cases are best for this.

2) Protecting the lenses from damp / fungus. While it might be tempting to store them in the garage / basement to avoid issues with #3 this is not optimal unless you live in a very dry climate. I've seen too many lenses with fungus growing in them to discount this issue. Best thing is a dry cabinet of some type either in a warm dry room or a separately heated or de-humidified closed box. Silica gel packs will work, but remember they only work until they have absorbed all the moisture they can, after that they are useless. You can dry them out under low heat in the oven to re-use but if you don't they lose any usefulness after a fairly short time depending on the humidity.

3) Storing them away from prying eyes. Not my place to give anyone marriage advice, but I'm going on 32 years with the same woman and I never buy anything without discussing it. Why just the other day I was browsing the ol' ebay thing and noticed a very nice FA*250-600. Honey, I says, can I buy a new lens? Sure, if you need it she replies. Now I may have neglected to mention it cost $3,500 but hey I DID let her know, right?

I have a closet in my studio with 2 shelves dedicated to lenses and other gear. The room is warm and dry and the lenses are carefully arranged on the shelf. I keep what I'm using in my go bag and swap that around depending on what I'm working on.

And no I didn't get the FA*250-600. Just because it would have been OK with the wife doesn't mean I need it or can afford it.