Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I never shoot midday.
I mentioned it because we have reached that time of year in the northern hemisphere where morning and afternoon are pretty short. I don't know how far south you are, but here at the 47th parallel, on a sunny day, you'd be lucky to get an hour of softer light at each end of the day. That is, if you have a sunny day.

If you are willing to share, I think a number of us would like to see a sample of what you finally end up doing and your rationale for your choices.

11-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I live far enough south that we have sufficient light throughout the day, enough so that, even at four in the afternoon it's still daylight. I said I don't know when this will happen, they may opt for a spring or summer shoot.

The sharing part, probably.
11-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

If you are going to be at a beach, staying further from the water and/or keeping your back towards it would be one way. In that case, if you plan to keep your distance, you may like having some longer FL to play with. They would also help disolve the background.

On a whim, and for lack of any other lenses with me that moment, I shot this one of our neighbor's little one with a 180mm Leica on my *ist DS in our yard. This is straight from the camera. She was too close and filled the viewfinder, but I could not resist. Her parents were delighted, needless to say.
Attached Images

11-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Agreed ... the 50mm and the 135mm for closer portraits ... J
I agree since it is at the beech.

11-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I never shoot midday. This will be a morning or afternoon shoot. Bright colors are good, yes, but I also will tell them no whites. Like I already said, this isn't my first portrait shoot. I had a full running business a few years ago, where I idid family portraits, seniors, and children, all in the outdoors with natural backgrounds.

I don't like to either but sometimes I don't have a choice. I was visiting these folks at the village between 11am and 2pm. It made for some frustrating shots but had no choice.

Last edited by Blue; 11-20-2012 at 06:32 AM.