Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably asked a million times but

Not about my lenses. Ok? Ready now?

I have a family portrait shoot coming up soon. These are the lenses I have that I would consider being useable:

Pentax DA L ll 18-55mm f3.5
Pentax 50mm f2
Pentax 28-80mm F zoom Macro f3.5
Sears (Samyang) 135mm f2.8 (sharpest of all of my lenses)
Quantaray 70-300mm Macro f4.5

I know I'm probably going to have to buy another lens for this shoot, but if I didn't do that, would any of the above work for a family portrait? This portrait will be done outside at the beach/Atlantic Ocean.

11-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I know I'm probably going to have to buy another lens for this shoot, but if I didn't do that, would any of the above work for a family portrait? This portrait will be done outside at the beach/Atlantic Ocean.
If you've got plenty of space, the 50/2 should work fine.
But I wouldn't want to deprive you of an excuse for LBA!
11-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
But I wouldn't want to deprive you of an excuse for LBA!
Thanks. My thoughts too.
11-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #4

I'd say the 50, as well, though the 135 would work well if any individuals or couples wanted a shot.

11-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Fifty And....

Hello Photolady,
I agree with taking the 50mm, it's a very capable portrait lens. But I'd also bring the DA-L 18-55mm, simply because it's WR and you will be on the beach. The possibility of blowing sand and sea spray might make this a better choice.
After looking at your flickr photos- nice macro and bird shots, BTW!!- you could try a composition like your "Seascapes + Birds" photo. With a tripod of course, so you can be included!
JMO,
Ron
11-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
I'd say the 50, as well, though the 135 would work well if any individuals or couples wanted a shot.
Agreed ... the 50mm and the 135mm for closer portraits ... J
11-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Agreed ... the 50mm and the 135mm for closer portraits
I think these would be best as well. But remember that a big part of portraiture is getting a good background, good lights (diffused or reflected), and coaching the subject to "pose"

11-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Photolady,
I agree with taking the 50mm, it's a very capable portrait lens. But I'd also bring the DA-L 18-55mm, simply because it's WR and you will be on the beach. The possibility of blowing sand and sea spray might make this a better choice.
After looking at your flickr photos- nice macro and bird shots, BTW!!- you could try a composition like your "Seascapes + Birds" photo. With a tripod of course, so you can be included!
JMO,
Ron
It's not WR! But the DAL 18-55 is still useful for wide shots.
11-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all. Yeah, ihasa is correct, my 18-55mm isn't WR.

So, the overall consensus is the 50 and the 135. Sounds good, that way I don't have to buy anything. And for those who don't know, this isn't my first portrait shoot. Before was with film and I had different lenses.
11-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know the F28-80 lens, but based on focal length I think I might want to give that a try as well. As you may know, with film 85mm was thought to be the right focal length for portraits. For our cropped sensors, I find that comparing 50, 55, 58, 70, and 85mm head shots, I prefer 55-58mm (as in my DA*55 and my Voigtlander Nokton 58). If you are doing group shots, Forget all of this and you need wider. However, you've got the range in your lenses to cover it.
11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Tim. This shoot consists of father, mother, and two children. I was thinking composition would work with mother and father in back, children in front, providing the children are not taller than the parents. Not written in stone this idea and I'll probably change that before or during the shoot. Or maybe one that way, and a few more some other stance. This won't happen right away because right now the beach is closed to traffic with the high tide we have now. Actually, I'm not sure when it will take place, we're (myself and clients) are just talking about doing this.

I do want the shoot to go well for them too, not just me.
11-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I've found myself accidentally taking great portraits with my 135mm before, so definitely worth considering if you have the space to use it.

EDIT: The Quantaray is a rebranded Sigma 70-300 if I remember right. If so, that may be worth taking as well. I've found mine does a pretty decent job for on-the-fly portraits (never actually used it staged). These were all shot with my 70-300mm. (Most at the same time because again, its not my first thought of lens when I know I'll be shooting people)

Last edited by Sagitta; 11-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.
11-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I have a family portrait shoot coming up soon. This portrait will be done outside at the beach/Atlantic Ocean.
Generally, you don't want a really sharp lens for portrait work ... but your location might change that depending on quality of the light. If your shoot is midday the light will likely be flat yet pretty contrasty. If this is the case, bright clothing and reflectors to add some modeling might be in order. A sharp lens and bright clothing, to me, go together.

I think any of your focal lengths might work fine depending on how much working space you have, both in front of and behind your subjects. The longer the lens, the more the sense of depth will compress; conversely the shorter the lens, the greater the sense of depth.
11-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
If your shoot is midday
I never shoot midday. This will be a morning or afternoon shoot. Bright colors are good, yes, but I also will tell them no whites. Like I already said, this isn't my first portrait shoot. I had a full running business a few years ago, where I idid family portraits, seniors, and children, all in the outdoors with natural backgrounds.
11-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The 50 or the 135 unless your family is as many and as wide as mine; then for sure it is time to buy the 15. Just for the family and not for any personal satisfaction.