Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shooting at night / leon signs

I wanted to go out one night a shoot some leon lights in town down Vancouver Canada. A buddy is in the sign business and he wanted some shots of the older leon lights. What would a good lens be for night, no flash? Also looking at buying a micro and I notice most of you use primes. Any recommendations for my K10? Thank you JIMBO

02-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I wanted to go out one night a shoot some leon lights in town down Vancouver Canada. A buddy is in the sign business and he wanted some shots of the older leon lights. What would a good lens be for night, no flash? Also looking at buying a micro and I notice most of you use primes. Any recommendations for my K10? Thank you JIMBO
You are really requesting an area that has not been discussed here, but should be.

What I think you are looking for is "bokea" and I can only recommend a F 50 1.7 mounted on a tripod with remote shutter release. You will have to manually set the camera settings to the lens and find the best that suits what you are attempting to capture.

I hope this makes sense,
02-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would recommend a tripod for such task. However, taking picture of a bright light source (i assume we are talking about neon sign) would give you 2 results:

1. If the shutter is slow, the sign will be too bright to see any detail of the sign. But the surrounding area would be somewhat visible.

2. if the shutter is fast, the sign will be bright enough to see the detail of the sign, but the surrounding area would black out.

However, this would depend on the brightness of the sign to find a compromise exposure setting. Or you can use HDR technique to get the best of both world. And if you use a tripod, slow lens would be acceptable, though fast lens would give you less noise due to shorter shutter time (in my experience, the K10D started to show noticable noise at >25s shutter).

And you mention about micro, which I don't understand the connection with matter at hand.
02-11-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What's a leon light? Do you mean neon light?

Also what's a micro? Are you referring to a macro lens?

I'm not judging your spellings, I just want to be clear before I make a comment.

02-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Try to shoot between 15 minutes and 45 minutes after sunset. Like that, you'll have enough light to brighten up the background and still see the neon light effect pretty well.
02-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Leon Signs

Leon signs must be what The Professional practiced shooting but not with a camera.

Just Kidding...Sprags
02-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Leon signs must be what The Professional practiced shooting but not with a camera.

Just Kidding...Sprags
Great movie the kicked off the career of a great actress. Ok, enough of that, sorry for going off topic.
02-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

get a tripod if you want commercially usable images.

02-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I have taken some hand held with my Tamron 28-75 that I was happy with. Commercial shots I would agree with the tripod recommendation though.
02-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Forum Member

Sorry, but you're 50 years late :

Equinox Gallery - Fred*Herzog

I think the above photo was taken using Kodachrome (ISO 10).

---------------------

I would shoot multiple exposures on a tripod, and then do some HDR magic in post processing if what you're after are street scenes of buildings with neon signs. It'll be a bonus to take these shots when the streets are slick with rain (extra reflections).

If you're what you're after are closeups, then maybe a middle-range f/2.8 zoom for handhelds?
02-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I agree with the other poster who said to go out at around dusk, and shoot the sign at that point, unless you are really wanting to have only the sign exposed and the remainder blacked out.

I was in Times Square this weekend, and even at 4:45 it was dark enough that the signs were a little over exposed for the surroundings. Only had my P&S but shots turned out well enough.

You may want to take shots bracked at 1 stop increments, about every 10 minutes until you get the exposure you want, in terms of detail and backgrouond.

With respect to lens, any lens will do, it is all a question of distance, surroundings and what all you want in the frame
02-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Try to shoot between 15 minutes and 45 minutes after sunset. Like that, you'll have enough light to brighten up the background and still see the neon light effect pretty well
Thanks for the help. I do have a tripod and will be using. Will post some shots on how I made out. JIMBO