Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are oily aperture blades something that should be addressed?

I have a Pentax A series lens that I really like and use quite often, but it has some oil on the blades. Everything else is fine, it works well, and the oil doesn't seem to be causing any problems (at least any that I can notice).
I got a cleaning quote for $50-65 dollars, a price that I'm willing to pay, but I was wondering; are oily blades really that big of a problem? Will it just get worse down the road if I don't attend to them?

Thanks.

11-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm sure others can give a better answer, but based on some of the postings I've read, the oil can become a problem if it makes the blades sticky and slow to respond. The easiest way to test this would be to take a series of shots at fixed lighting using a range of shutter speeds and apertures. If you find that at the faster shutter speeds the images are becoming over exposed then you have a problem that needs fixing.
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'm sure others can give a better answer, but based on some of the postings I've read, the oil can become a problem if it makes the blades sticky and slow to respond. The easiest way to test this would be to take a series of shots at fixed lighting using a range of shutter speeds and apertures. If you find that at the faster shutter speeds the images are becoming over exposed then you have a problem that needs fixing.
I'll have to try that; thanks for the suggestion!
11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Use the AE-L button and Av mode. You can zip through all the full stops pretty quickly that way.

The other possible problem with oil is that it's not just on the blades. It might be on the inner lens surfaces too. The most likely surfaces on a prime are the ones on either side of the aperture blades, because they are the most exposed.

11-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I have a Pentax A series lens that I really like and use quite often, but it has some oil on the blades. Everything else is fine, it works well, and the oil doesn't seem to be causing any problems (at least any that I can notice).
I got a cleaning quote for $50-65 dollars, a price that I'm willing to pay, but I was wondering; are oily blades really that big of a problem? Will it just get worse down the road if I don't attend to them?

Thanks.
I’ve had a few K series lenses that were over exposing at times, I sent them to Eric and he determined they had oil on the aperture blades. He CLAed them and they work perfectly now. It cost about $30-40 per lens.

Phil
11-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you have glistening oil on the blades it can also cause starbursts and and weird flare off of light sources in night photos. Also internal reflections or off the sensor are possible with digital so you may get ghosting. Rare, but it happens, so it can affect IQ...
11-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In my opinion oily blades should be addressed as early as possible. I've seen some uncared for lenses that have the aperture blades stuck completely together. For myself I found that cleaning them are far easier to do when they are somewhat moveable then completely frozen. Also this occurs when the grease from the barrel mechanism separates and the oil could eventually get on the glass portions which could cause unwanted degradation of image quality.

If your willing to spend the money might as well get it serviced as soon as possible and have a refreshed lens to play with then continuing to use a lens and play roulette with time.