Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

35mm zebra Flektogon - no auto switch problem

I have a Zeiss Jena 35mm f2.8 zebra Flektogon. The problem I have is that it has no auto/manual switch. When I turn the aperture ring nothing happens because the pin on the back is out and not in. There is a pin on the side which you can depress to close the aperture but it's hardly convenient - it's linked to the pin on the back.

I can imagine a solution which is some kind of adapter that covers over the pin and depresses it. Is this done?

Any other ideas?

11-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by les24preludes Quote
I have a Zeiss Jena 35mm f2.8 zebra Flektogon. The problem I have is that it has no auto/manual switch. When I turn the aperture ring nothing happens because the pin on the back is out and not in. There is a pin on the side which you can depress to close the aperture but it's hardly convenient - it's linked to the pin on the back.

I can imagine a solution which is some kind of adapter that covers over the pin and depresses it. Is this done?

Any other ideas?
Yeah, if you can remove the mount then you you can put a little sleeve (taken from an electrical wire, for instance) on the pin and then replace the mount and this will hold the pin down always so that aperture will open and close with movement of the ring. This is easily reverseable, but can also be risky because you are in danger of the mount falling apart, losing the little ball bearing that is usually in there to make it click, etc. Also some lenses are not easy to take apart in this way. Another solution is just to not take anything apart but just put a dab of super-glue at the base of the pin and then hold the lens pin down for a while to dry. That's usually what I do, also reverseable using acetone, but I have never tried to reverse it as I have had no need to...
11-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les24preludes Quote
There are M42 adapters that have a pin-depress feature, but they are hard to come by and quite expensive. The surgical solution may be your best option.

Steve
11-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The adaptor you want is the bower one sold by B&H. It has a flange at depresses the pin, but be ware that this adapter needs a little surgery before use. The screw that holds the locking spring in place is usually too long and jams on the threads of your lens, and the spring itself is genially not the right shape and needs filing so it does not dig into the base of the lens whe screwed down tight.

Many people just remove the spring and be done with it.

Also this adapter does not work with many super tak's and SMC tak's that have the ability to work with spot attic F and SPII that have open aperture metering, because of a funny little bump on the tip of the lens.

I have modified all my auto only mounts using a 1/8 inch(3mm) piece of pen refil as the spacer. Depending on the lens no disassembly is required and I put a slit down the tube to ease removal

11-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The adaptor you want is the bower one sold by B&H.
Lowell, I don't believe that B&H stocks that item any more.

Steve
11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lowell, I don't believe that B&H stocks that item any more.

Steve
That's too bad it has been a year or so since I got mine. There is a UK company also that makes one, I recall it being available when I got my bower one from B&H

Personally though I like blocking the pin with a sleeve.
11-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Depending on the lens no disassembly is required and I put a slit down the tube to ease removal
No disassembly? How do you manage that? Usually there is no wiggle room whatsoever around the pin -- doesn't it need to get into or under the mount?
11-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No disassembly? How do you manage that? Usually there is no wiggle room whatsoever around the pin -- doesn't it need to get into or under the mount?
Some lenses have the pin exposed under the lens mount, in that case there is no need to disassemble. I had one such lens but on others, I took the mount off.

The tamron M42 adaptor also has no A /M switch, and can be modded without disassembly for the same reason