Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

Bro's new buy. Looking for Specs: Gemini 135mm f2.8

To make a long story short, my bro switched from a old(er) low-end Canon (rebel or something) to Pentax due to the price of gear vs quality. He was able to sell his canon and 2 basic lenses easily. He managed to win a k10d on eBay with a 18-55 kit lens with no money out of pocket. The k10d is a no brainer vs the model he had. After some shipping issue with the new eBay seller, the gear arrived. Lo and behold, the k10d came with multiple batteries & charger, WR kit lens & a Gemini f2.8 135mm lens.. All unlisted on ad! the seller was a newbie for sure and could have sold all these items for more. All for a lil under $200 bucks. Major score in my book. Too bad I already have a k10d (& k-r) haha. He may join forum soon but I wanted to help him out.

Any specs on the Gemini 135mm f2.8 lens? Couldn't find any info on it on reviews. It has a Metal K mount, manual focus, aperture ring, no "A" setting. Any Good?? Comments welcome.

11-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gemini was the brand name of an importer and was sold through retailers like Service Merchandise. It could have been made by any of the Japanese factories that made 135/2.8s in the '70s & '80s.
11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picture of the lens might help. Most likely it is a re-branded made in Japan. Could be Chinon or Makinon or Cosina or any of several others. I'm not familiar with Gemini but in that era lots of companies had 'house brands' made by third party companies. Sears, JC Penny, Wards, and many others were in the camera business and sourced lenses from many places.

Most likely the optics will be average at best but the only way to tell is test it out. It is not worth much dollar wise but a 135mm f/2.8 is still a nice prime until you need / want something better.
11-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

As noted above, the Gemini is a "no-name" generic 135mm. That being said, it may be a perfectly acceptable performer. Japanese 28mm and 135mm lenses from the 70s and 80s are consistently pretty good. I thought there might have been a post about your brother's lens on the "Off-Brand Club" thread, but could not find anything. When your brother gets a chance, that might be a good place to share a few photos.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31353-off-brand-club.html

Steve

11-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Most of those old random-brand primes are quite decent, but nothing special. Probably has the usual aberrations you find with any lens of the period.
11-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a bit of information from the web. About a year ago I picked up a Tak 135/2.8 for very little. Finally got around to using it and its a wonderful lens, to the point that I am now wondering why more folks don't use them?
11-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is a bit of information from the web. About a year ago I picked up a Tak 135/2.8 for very little. Finally got around to using it and its a wonderful lens, to the point that I am now wondering why more folks don't use them?
There are SO many old 135s out there, and they are mostly really cheap (compared to other focal lengths) that if you are an old lens buyer it is hard not to accumulate them. I have a Focal (sears) 2.8, an SMC Tak 3.5, an Auto-Tak 3.5 (early version with spring-loaded doohickey on the side designed to operate aperture on very early "auto" bodies -- you cock it like a gun), a Mamiya/Sekor 2.8 (great lens, but you have to file the aperture ring down), a Vivitar 3.5, some no-name preset model, and a couple of other broken ones I can't remember. Each of them was under $10 or came as a freebie (in my mind, anyway) with something else I was buying. (I've sold about 5 of them as well -- these are just the ones left over). And they are all pretty good...
11-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The Flickr link goes to two images that are pretty impressive and which I believe were taken by a forum member. I will ping him and perhaps he will jump into this discussion. Looks like your bro' may well have a winner!

Steve

11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Tell him to take it out and shoot with it. I have a JC Penny 135/2.8 that came in a grab bag of lenses that seems pretty good with the limited shooting I have done with it. I can remember seeing Gemini lenses years ago somewhere, I just can't remember where.
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Tell him to take it out and shoot with it. I have a JC Penny 135/2.8 that came in a grab bag of lenses that seems pretty good with the limited shooting I have done with it. I can remember seeing Gemini lenses years ago somewhere, I just can't remember where.
Gemini lenses were sold at Service Merchandise. They may have been sold at other discount retailers as well. I seem to remember Hills and Ames selling Gemini. I had a Gemini 28/2.8 and still have a Gemini 80-200.