Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #46
Banned

Original Poster
Pictures of children, cats and flower macros are all automatically bad. There are virtually no exceptions to this rule.
They're so bad i can't even look at them.

11-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by runslikeapenguin Quote
Pictures of children, cats and flower macros are all automatically bad. There are virtually no exceptions to this rule.
They're so bad i can't even look at them.
LOL. Ok.
11-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Thank you. This is what I mean- I don't know the drive for people to cover for Pentax, whether it be the SDM or decentering. We're supposed to be helping one another and denial of problems being used to nullify the problems of others (as above in the thread somewhere) is just plain weird.

It would be nice if people put more pressure on Pentax- in public, interviews, etc. At the least, the German market is not holding back in their complaints, as well as leaning on consumer authorities to get resolutions with Pentax.
I figured this would happen.

I don't and have not ever covered for Pentax. I wrote letters and emails, and called on the phone. When the second round of SDM failures occurred I wrote an email to the president of Pentax Imaging that I was going to send him and the president of Pentax Japan my 16-50 and 50-135, both of which failed a month after the replacement warranty was up, to use as paper weights. Both were replaced within a week or so.

If you don't like the lenses Pentax makes, don't buy them.
11-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
But once again, I haven't got a clue of who you are and why you took it as if the internet was talking directly to you.
Nice. Maybe because you only joined in June?

I was an early adopter of the 16-50, and caught a decentered sample. It was immediately replaced under warranty, and that replacement copy is still going strong. After a while, like Norm mentioned in his own experience, other lenses in my collection were more appropriate for my needs. A need to "thin the herd" placed the 16-50 into another forum member's hands, who I'm pretty sure is still using and enjoying it. It did take a lot of great shots for me, and there are times I would still find it useful, enough so that I'd probably buy another if I had a bit more discretionary income. This thread started out with a lot of good constructive comments about a particular lens, both pro and con, but seems to be degenerating into yet another name-calling and SDM-bashing exercise. Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, take your pick. I think it's been pretty well hashed-out by now.

11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Lets get this thread back on task regarding the DA* 16-50mm by discussing the pros and cons objectively or the thread will be closed.
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do think SDM discussions get old pretty fast. Life is inherently risk and if the riskiest thing about your life is the fact that you own a couple of SDM lenses, I would say that you are in pretty good shape.

11-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #52
Veteran Member

A Perfect Application for the DA*16-50

One of the virtues of the 16-50 is the weather sealing, of course. At the time, I only owned that, and the DA*50-135, and it was a great two-lens kit for motorcycle touring. In a case like that, zooms are just a lot easier to deal with and use while on the road exploring unknown locations. I plan on doing a lot more motorcycle touring and camping in the near future, thus my renewed interest in possibly re-acquiring a 16-50.

I was reading a "ride report" on another forum, about a guy's motorcycle trip from Arizona to Alaska, which has really sparked my imagination. He's a fellow Pentaxian, using a K5 and the DA*16-50 (plus a couple others), and came up with some really amazing shots:

WAY UP NORTH - To The Arctic Ocean & Back to Arizona - ADVrider

So it all depends on your needs. Tamron and Sigma equivalents are also good lenses, but, at least for what this gentleman did, it was the perfect choice, and I don't think you can argue the quality of his work. (And I hope those of you that follow the link enjoy the thread! )

11-20-2012, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

I know the DA.*16 50 is supposed to be wr. Mine went into the drink, all 4 feet of it, and still working now! What SDM problem? If it was Tamron or Sigma, I am not sure. ..... pentax are tough SOB!
11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
One of the virtues of the 16-50 is the weather sealing, of course. At the time, I only owned that, and the DA*50-135, and it was a great two-lens kit for motorcycle touring. In a case like that, zooms are just a lot easier to deal with and use while on the road exploring unknown locations. I plan on doing a lot more motorcycle touring and camping in the near future, thus my renewed interest in possibly re-acquiring a 16-50.

I was reading a "ride report" on another forum, about a guy's motorcycle trip from Arizona to Alaska, which has really sparked my imagination. He's a fellow Pentaxian, using a K5 and the DA*16-50 (plus a couple others), and came up with some really amazing shots:

WAY UP NORTH - To The Arctic Ocean & Back to Arizona - ADVrider

So it all depends on your needs. Tamron and Sigma equivalents are also good lenses, but, at least for what this gentleman did, it was the perfect choice, and I don't think you can argue the quality of his work. (And I hope those of you that follow the link enjoy the thread! )
Thank you for the link, what a great adventure they had and fantastic reporting they did.
11-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #55
Veteran Member

16-50 @ 16mm @ different aperture. Edited in LR4 with identical settings (pardon the over saturation);

11-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #56
Veteran Member

We don't seem to have permission to go to those flicker pages and see the large image - can you allow us?
11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #57
Veteran Member

done.
11-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Thanks.

To me, this thread is trying to address two different things simultaneously - the SDM failure, and the image quality.

As far as the SDM failure goes, the SDM poll thread should answer that. I believe most of the current SDM lenses lack failure, even the 16-50.

As far as image quality goes - we know this lens isn't as sharp as the 17-50s, and some copies can be pretty bad. That being said, sharpness isn't everything.
11-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
16-50 @ 16mm @ different aperture. Edited in LR4 with identical settings (pardon the over saturation);
The saturation didn't bother me at all, but oh, that white balance. Unless you have a dark blue Pentax lens cap?
11-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #60
Veteran Member

haha, it was a rush job. And perfectionist I am not. Seriously though. Under good sun it really shines. Check out the scales on this heavily cropped image;

Last edited by lightbulb; 11-21-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Closed Thread