Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting impatient for that DA* ~16-80!!

And I wonder if I'm the only one? The lens roadmap states "2013 or later", but I sure hope early 2013. I dearly want a weather-sealed zoom to complement my 50-135, but the overall consensus on the DA* 16-50 is that the IQ is not worthy of it's high price (unlike the 50-135). So I guess it's a waiting game ... still. Just thought I'd air the closet regarding my impatience, but I also hope that a Pentax insider will read this!

11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was hoping for 16-85 but 16-80 works. I have been eagerly awaiting news on this as well. Sadly, I suspect it will be too pricy for me anyway but it sounds like the perfect focal range for me. I like my 16-50 but way too often it is just a bit too short.
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was hoping for 16-85 but 16-80 works. I have been eagerly awaiting news on this as well. Sadly, I suspect it will be too pricy for me anyway but it sounds like the perfect focal range for me. I like my 16-50 but way too often it is just a bit too short.
Canon's 15-85mm is not very good approaching full zoom, loaded with CA. Nikon's 16-85 is better. Perhaps the Pentax strategy is to have a lens with slightly less compromise than those both. The Nikon lens is a bit largish (blame VR).
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What I look forward is seeing the aperture it offers. DA* lenses are usually pretty fast, but with such a range I have a hard time believing it will be f2.8 at 80mm. And DA* don't usually have varyable apertures, so maybe it will be f4.

11-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The 16-50 is already 77mm filter.
If the 16-80 is a 2.8, it would be gigantic. So if the Canon and Nikon are any guide, my guess is that it will probably be 3.5-5.8.

The limited zoom however, that sounds more promising.
11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't put SDM I in it and I will put it on my list for consideration.
Don't make it variable and I will keep it on my list for consideration.

Can't say more until it's a reality.
11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

They might all of a sudden change it to a 24-70, who knows? the * in the notes says "based on market demand" or something like that...

11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote

Haven't the SDM issues apparently been resolved? That said, I don't like how it has slower AF than screw-drive. That's been my only SDM disappointment with the 50-135 thus far.
11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
They might all of a sudden change it to a 24-70, who knows? the * in the notes says "based on market demand" or something like that...
Yeah, I don't like that stipulation. That means that it could change to 2014+ if, for example, we hit another global recession.
11-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would you prefer a constant f4 aperture versus a variable f2.8 to f4 aperture?
11-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

SDM works reliably now, and DC motors are quite good too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My thought exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Haven't the SDM issues apparently been resolved? That said, I don't like how it has slower AF than screw-drive. That's been my only SDM disappointment with the 50-135 thus far.
The 50-135 is apparently a slow lens to focus, SDM or not. Screw-drive can be very fast, but SDM has no reason to be slower. I've used the 18-135, 17-70 with SDM, and now I own the 60-250, and AF is very fast in all cases. Faster than screw-drive? Hard to tell, since there is no possible comparison. But it does feel just as fast, or faster.
11-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
SDM works reliably now, and DC motors are quite good too.

My thought exactly.

The 50-135 is apparently a slow lens to focus, SDM or not. Screw-drive can be very fast, but SDM has no reason to be slower. I've used the 18-135, 17-70 with SDM, and now I own the 60-250, and AF is very fast in all cases. Faster than screw-drive? Hard to tell, since there is no possible comparison. But it does feel just as fast, or faster.
I don't have direct comparisons, but with something like the 35-70, screw-drive AF is brutally fast (as in feel the torque).
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I don't have direct comparisons, but with something like the 35-70, screw-drive AF is brutally fast (as in feel the torque).
AF is also quite fast with my F50, and even with my 18-55 WR. That's a testament to the quality of screw-drive AF in Pentax lens. But it doesn't imply that SDM is bad just because screw-drive is fast

anyway, Pentax never claimed speed improvements, they claim silent AF, and there they have it right. Silent AF is a boon in many situations.

To really evaluate the AF speed you'd have to get a K10D without the latest firmware update and another one with it, and mount a DA* lens. And then if you mounted that lens on a K-5 II you'd again see a difference A big one I'd bet.
11-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would!
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
And I wonder if I'm the only one? The lens roadmap states "2013 or later", but I sure hope early 2013. I dearly want a weather-sealed zoom to complement my 50-135, but the overall consensus on the DA* 16-50 is that the IQ is not worthy of it's high price (unlike the 50-135). So I guess it's a waiting game ... still. Just thought I'd air the closet regarding my impatience, but I also hope that a Pentax insider will read this!
I have the DA* 16-50 and it has lived on my K7 for over 2 years. I would not have any problem buying a new one if something happened to mine. If I was looking at an upgrade I would go to a prime(s) but it would have to be faster than 2.8.

Paul