Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
Getting impatient for that DA* ~16-80!!

And I wonder if I'm the only one? The lens roadmap states "2013 or later", but I sure hope early 2013. I dearly want a weather-sealed zoom to complement my 50-135, but the overall consensus on the DA* 16-50 is that the IQ is not worthy of it's high price (unlike the 50-135). So I guess it's a waiting game ... still. Just thought I'd air the closet regarding my impatience, but I also hope that a Pentax insider will read this!

11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
I was hoping for 16-85 but 16-80 works. I have been eagerly awaiting news on this as well. Sadly, I suspect it will be too pricy for me anyway but it sounds like the perfect focal range for me. I like my 16-50 but way too often it is just a bit too short.
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,913
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was hoping for 16-85 but 16-80 works. I have been eagerly awaiting news on this as well. Sadly, I suspect it will be too pricy for me anyway but it sounds like the perfect focal range for me. I like my 16-50 but way too often it is just a bit too short.
Canon's 15-85mm is not very good approaching full zoom, loaded with CA. Nikon's 16-85 is better. Perhaps the Pentax strategy is to have a lens with slightly less compromise than those both. The Nikon lens is a bit largish (blame VR).
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,798
What I look forward is seeing the aperture it offers. DA* lenses are usually pretty fast, but with such a range I have a hard time believing it will be f2.8 at 80mm. And DA* don't usually have varyable apertures, so maybe it will be f4.

11-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,386
The 16-50 is already 77mm filter.
If the 16-80 is a 2.8, it would be gigantic. So if the Canon and Nikon are any guide, my guess is that it will probably be 3.5-5.8.

The limited zoom however, that sounds more promising.
11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 472
Don't put SDM I in it and I will put it on my list for consideration.
Don't make it variable and I will keep it on my list for consideration.

Can't say more until it's a reality.
11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
They might all of a sudden change it to a 24-70, who knows? the * in the notes says "based on market demand" or something like that...
11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Don't put SDM I in it and I will put it on my list for consideration.
Don't make it variable and I will keep it on my list for consideration.

Can't say more until it's a reality.
Haven't the SDM issues apparently been resolved? That said, I don't like how it has slower AF than screw-drive. That's been my only SDM disappointment with the 50-135 thus far.

11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
They might all of a sudden change it to a 24-70, who knows? the * in the notes says "based on market demand" or something like that...
Yeah, I don't like that stipulation. That means that it could change to 2014+ if, for example, we hit another global recession.
11-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,009
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Don't put SDM I in it and I will put it on my list for consideration.
Don't make it variable and I will keep it on my list for consideration.

Can't say more until it's a reality.
Would you prefer a constant f4 aperture versus a variable f2.8 to f4 aperture?
11-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,798
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Don't put SDM I in it and I will put it on my list for consideration.
SDM works reliably now, and DC motors are quite good too.

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Don't make it variable and I will keep it on my list for consideration.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Would you prefer a constant f4 aperture versus a variable f2.8 to f4 aperture?
My thought exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Haven't the SDM issues apparently been resolved? That said, I don't like how it has slower AF than screw-drive. That's been my only SDM disappointment with the 50-135 thus far.
The 50-135 is apparently a slow lens to focus, SDM or not. Screw-drive can be very fast, but SDM has no reason to be slower. I've used the 18-135, 17-70 with SDM, and now I own the 60-250, and AF is very fast in all cases. Faster than screw-drive? Hard to tell, since there is no possible comparison. But it does feel just as fast, or faster.
11-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
SDM works reliably now, and DC motors are quite good too.





My thought exactly.



The 50-135 is apparently a slow lens to focus, SDM or not. Screw-drive can be very fast, but SDM has no reason to be slower. I've used the 18-135, 17-70 with SDM, and now I own the 60-250, and AF is very fast in all cases. Faster than screw-drive? Hard to tell, since there is no possible comparison. But it does feel just as fast, or faster.
I don't have direct comparisons, but with something like the 35-70, screw-drive AF is brutally fast (as in feel the torque).
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,798
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I don't have direct comparisons, but with something like the 35-70, screw-drive AF is brutally fast (as in feel the torque).
AF is also quite fast with my F50, and even with my 18-55 WR. That's a testament to the quality of screw-drive AF in Pentax lens. But it doesn't imply that SDM is bad just because screw-drive is fast

anyway, Pentax never claimed speed improvements, they claim silent AF, and there they have it right. Silent AF is a boon in many situations.

To really evaluate the AF speed you'd have to get a K10D without the latest firmware update and another one with it, and mount a DA* lens. And then if you mounted that lens on a K-5 II you'd again see a difference A big one I'd bet.
11-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 248
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Would you prefer a constant f4 aperture versus a variable f2.8 to f4 aperture?
I would!
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
RossCo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 51
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
And I wonder if I'm the only one? The lens roadmap states "2013 or later", but I sure hope early 2013. I dearly want a weather-sealed zoom to complement my 50-135, but the overall consensus on the DA* 16-50 is that the IQ is not worthy of it's high price (unlike the 50-135). So I guess it's a waiting game ... still. Just thought I'd air the closet regarding my impatience, but I also hope that a Pentax insider will read this!
I have the DA* 16-50 and it has lived on my K7 for over 2 years. I would not have any problem buying a new one if something happened to mine. If I was looking at an upgrade I would go to a prime(s) but it would have to be faster than 2.8.

Paul
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, hope, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting impatient for these new lenses! devorama Pentax Q 5 05-01-2012 05:40 PM
Brenizer for Impatient people!!! dlacouture Photographic Technique 6 01-21-2011 01:57 PM
People 2nd time getting my DA*16-50 back DuckysDoll Post Your Photos! 2 02-22-2010 06:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top