Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would you trade a 40 ltd for a TC?

I know, its an apples-to-oranges comparison....but I don't really use the limited lens (and not sure I will). My options are to sell it and use it as a means to get the TC, or keep it and not get the TC.
TC would allow my 50-135 to increase to 2x, and curb the desire to buy a longer lens (I like the TC idea...less space requirements).
Of course, I could argue that I don't use my 50mm macro near enough either, and might part with that too....decisions.....

02-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've found TC's to be over rated. I've tried 3 different 2X TC's and all of them degraded IQ to a significant degree. I now own a 1.5 TC that is OK, but nothing to write home to mom about. If you want a longer reach I'd sell the DA 40 and get a Pentax K 300mm F4.0. They are usually relatively inexpensive, and a decent lens.

NaCl(a DA 40 for a TC is a very lopsided trade)H2O
02-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Lots of TC talk lately... here's a thread you may be interested in

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19694-tamron-t...rter-pics.html

btw you can get a TC for much less then what the 40 ltd would be worth I'd imagine.
02-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the tc would be 135ish, and the limited would sell for 200ish if sold to adorama. so i'd make a little, which would also probably be spent on camera stuff anyways.....

i think i may go without the TC for a bit, and when in brazil really make an effort to use the 40 and give it a chance to convince me its a keeper, or find it a more deserving home.

02-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is no way I would trade a 40mm ltd for a mere teleconverter.

Teleconverters are just means to degrade your original lens quality, extending your focal length with a tight budget. By no means, it is in place to a lens quality like limited.

The exception is perhaps L teleconverter 1.4X or 2X which only works for A* or Fa* lenses.

Sigma or Tamron teles should not cost more than 40 limited.

The F1.7X is over rated and should not be charged as much. If you want a better reach, wait until the funds are more sufficient.
02-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
the tc would be 135ish, and the limited would sell for 200ish if sold to adorama. so i'd make a little, which would also probably be spent on camera stuff anyways.....

i think i may go without the TC for a bit, and when in brazil really make an effort to use the 40 and give it a chance to convince me its a keeper, or find it a more deserving home.
It's $265 new at Adorama. Pretty good deal if there going to give you $200 for a lens that probably cost them $150 new..... Used on ebay past sales don't go over $210ish......even in these crazy times......
02-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Read this first..
Teleconverters (TCs, multipliers) - photo.net