Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Just bought a new-in-box FA 100mm 3.5

I bought a FA 100mm 3.5 new in box for 150 dollars here in Brazil...
What do you guys think about that lens? (it will arrive monday)
Aside from the cheap build quality (everyone complains about that, i'm even a little bit scared haha)...is the image quality good?
What about the price? Was it a good one?

Thanks!

11-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading the reviews here, you can draw your own conclusions, sounds about average to me. Some of the results come up very well, though.

SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F3.5 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
11-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I used it on a Sony camera, it was pretty good. "Cream in a yogurt cup" is what I've heard of it referred to as. Compared to what you have in your signature, it will complement your lenses - having a macro lens is nice. Did it come with the 1:1 diopter converter?
11-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Reading the reviews here, you can draw your own conclusions, sounds about average to me. Some of the results come up very well, though.

SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F3.5 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Hello! I've read those already, just wanted more opinions!
Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
I used it on a Sony camera, it was pretty good. "Cream in a yogurt cup" is what I've heard of it referred to as. Compared to what you have in your signature, it will complement your lenses - having a macro lens is nice. Did it come with the 1:1 diopter converter?
I still don't know...it is new in box, still closed, but i've read that the Pentax version doesn't come with the adapter...maybe i'll buy one :]
UPDATE : The seller told me that the 1:1 diopter is included

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 11-22-2012 at 12:35 PM.
11-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey Gabriel, greetings from Argentina. I sometimes travel to Brasil, so wanted to know were do you buy your Pentax equipment (modern/old
and used/new).

Also, I found this lens here used. So I look forward to how it worked out for you.

brigado cara!
11-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think you did very well, both in terms of price and the IQ you'll get. I have a Vivitar-branded AF version of this Cosina-made lens. I've kept it, as well as the DFA 100 WR macro, and sold all the other macros which were in between (price and IQ-wise).

IMO the macro lenses in-between were not as good a value, and just not worth keeping. So I kept the best value lens with the 100/3.5 (which is still quite good in IQ) plus perhaps the best overall K-mount macro around (100WR).

I only keep lower-cost lenses if I'm happy with their performance, and at the price you got the FA100/3.5 should be a keeper.
11-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think you did very well, both in terms of price and the IQ you'll get. I have a Vivitar-branded AF version of this Cosina-made lens. I've kept it, as well as the DFA 100 WR macro, and sold all the other macros which were in between (price and IQ-wise).

IMO the macro lenses in-between were not as good a value, and just not worth keeping. So I kept the best value lens with the 100/3.5 (which is still quite good in IQ) plus perhaps the best overall K-mount macro around (100WR).

I only keep lower-cost lenses if I'm happy with their performance, and at the price you got the FA100/3.5 should be a keeper.
It's great to hear that
I'm a little bit curious to see how the FA will perform, regarding pixel level sharpness
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Hey Gabriel, greetings from Argentina. I sometimes travel to Brasil, so wanted to know were do you buy your Pentax equipment (modern/old
and used/new).

Also, I found this lens here used. So I look forward to how it worked out for you.

brigado cara!
Hey! Great to see more pentaxians in South America!
It is tough to find Pentax equipment, but i usually search using websites like mercadolivre, although sometimes sellers get crazy regarding prices there!
This lens i bought from a store in São Paulo, and i live in Rio de Janeiro, so the seller will send it to me.
Also, there is a group in facebook, Pentax Brasil, where we talk about cameras, post pictures and also sell items...
There is a store that holds a lot of Pentax lenses (called beephoto), such as FA* 200mm 2.8, FA* 250-600mm 5.6, FA 31mm, FA 600mm f4...yes, they have an unbelievable stock! Wanna know the price? The FA* 250-600mm, for example, is priced at $15700...yes, in dollars haha
If you need a specific lens, PM me and i will see if i can find it for you!
Valeu!
11-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the lens arrived.
Everything seems perfect, including the lens performance!
PS: Sorry for the ugly red sheet...don't know who put it there hahaha
PS2: The lens hood is for my F 50mm 1.7, but since it fits the lens, i decided to try it out...

And now, a 100% crop of the lens wide open. I'm impressed, even more when i consider the price i paid.

And a picture i took with it as a test...not a beautiful picture, really just a test

11-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lens seems to perform great. You got an excellent deal.