Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
if you want your package to arrive quickly and with proper proof of delivery then yes, express is the only viable usps option. forget first class mail, that is a crap shoot, and priority is slightly cheaper, takes twice as long or more (with poor tracking and no signature) and insuring a priority mail package is much more expensive than an express mail package (yes, to the point it is not worth the difference...price out a $300 package both ways if you don't believe me).
The shipping method should be proportional to the value of the item and not across the board “one option fits all”.

If I buy an expensive item worth a few hundred, then yes I’m all for Express mail with insurance and tracking. But if I buy something under $50.00, then First Class should be a choice and is more than adequate.

I’ve had numerous items sent from the US via First Class mail and yes it takes longer but they have always arrived with no issues.

I think this whole post is about choices, shippers from the US need to be more flexible and offer more shipping choices.

Phil.

11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
Hey! I'm Canadian and our accent sounds exactly like American's from New York (not Texas...). He's probably just not very good at spelling! Or typed too fast..

Type too fast
11-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
...but...

Price shopping is at landed cost imo,
That's exactly what I'm saying so I don't get the part you've quoted- the bits you bolded are in no way contradicting each other if that's what you're getting at? I want the total cost, or the landed cost, or the 'all in' cost, or whatever you want to call it. B&H and others provide this up front for their courier options, and imo that is great and makes accurate price shopping fast and eliminates any later surprises..

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
... so if it doesn't ship by Postal Service at or near actual cost I ain't buying.

I guess we agree to disagree.
Fine by me.
11-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The shipping method should be proportional to the value of the item and not across the board ďone option fits allĒ.

If I buy an expensive item worth a few hundred, then yes Iím all for Express mail with insurance and tracking. But if I buy something under $50.00, then First Class should be a choice and is more than adequate.

Iíve had numerous items sent from the US via First Class mail and yes it takes longer but they have always arrived with no issues.

I think this whole post is about choices, shippers from the US need to be more flexible and offer more shipping choices.

Phil.
The goods you've purchased may have arrived safe and sound, but if it doesn't arrive then the seller is simple SOL with no recourse, and out fifty bucks. First class is also limited to 13oz shipping weight, which eliminates all but the smallest items. The other side of the coin is this - if I sell something using paypal/ebay to a foreign buyer, if I ship priority or express mail I can print the shipping documents - click, done. First Class mail? Nope - has to be done manually, which means hand writing 4 separate forms out - for a $50 item, that is simply not worth my time. That is why I don't bother shipping outside the US if something isn't worth at least $100 in the first place (and it also has to be unique/rare enough that an int'l buyer is willing to fork out that hefty shipping charge). And still, despite offering the USPS Express mail option, which would be half UPS or Fedex, a seller still gets PMs complaining about the price of shipping. The cost of shipping internationally is expensive, bottom line!

11-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The price is absurd for those two lenses in Canada
Why not buy on eBay from Prodigital2000 or 123 easy ship? They often have better prices than Us stores. I just got my 60-250 at 1200$ with a 2 years canadian warranty, while (except during black Friday) the lens sells for 1700$ CND and 1800 US...

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-PENTAX-Wide-Angle-smc-FA-31mm-f-1-8-Lens-SIL...item4849d2eef1

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-PENTAX-smc-FA-43mm-f1-9-LIMITED-SILVER-LENS-...item1e73f90b30

I haven't checked 123 easy ship, they're the same store but sometimes have even better prices... My DA* came with a UV filterr at that price, btw.
11-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't do paypal. Been burned twice, second time negatively affected my credit rating. Therefore... No ebay.
11-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
+1 on B&H. The shipping to Canada includes all duties, taxes, etc. and based on my previous orders with them, quite reasonable.

Regards
'Cept there are should be no duty or taxes assessed, at least not for cameras or lenses purchased from a U.S. store. B&H ships UPS and UPS charges a customs brokerage fee. All this means is that they will serve as a customs broker so as to avoid delay of the shipment at the border. It does not cover duty (that is paid is paid by the importer) and definitely does not cover any local taxes!

Shipping for a lens to Canada from the U.S. using USPS should be under $10.00 using standard first class parcel.

Steve
11-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Shipping for a lens to Canada from the U.S. using USPS should be under $10.00 using standard first class parcel.

Steve
After being properly packed I can count the number of lenses that will weigh less than the 13oz max first class parcel weight on one hand (if there are any really).

11-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #39
Pentaxian

'Cept there are should be no duty or taxes assessed, at least not for cameras or lenses purchased from a U.S. store. B&H ships UPS and UPS charges a customs brokerage fee. All this means is that they will serve as a customs broker so as to avoid delay of the shipment at the border. It does not cover duty (that is paid is paid by the importer) and definitely does not cover any local taxes!
You still have to pay HST/GST on camera gear from the US. There's no extra duty on top of that for most camera related items. B&H has an option for this to be included at checkout. They also have a Purolator option which is more economical than UPS and still pretty darn fast they times I've used it.
11-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Noticed the purolator option. Think I may order that FA 43 up sometime soon... The price difference is too huge in Canada vs USA not too.
11-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
You still have to pay HST/GST on camera gear from the US.
Interesting....

I don't live in Canada and am curious as to how they collect HST/GST for imported goods from the U.S (other than from sellers like B&H who are registered with the government to pay it for you). The shipper is generally outside their jurisdiction and generally has no interest or means to pay. Is this something that is handled by customs or is the buyer on the honor system.

Steve
11-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I don't live in Canada and am curious as to how they collect HST/GST
I think customs handles it (or possibly the broker for some transactions). You get a tax bill payable when the goods are delivered. I haven't bought anything from outside Canada in a couple of years but I have been hit with taxes based on the declared value of both new and used purchases in the past.
11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Did you try to find it in Canada ?
I have bought numerous items from Kerrisdale in B.C. from the used list, probably more in stock than KEH and no brokerage or cross border problems.
Don't just look on the web page, there is a larger list in PDF format you can download that is updated every Week.
12-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not photography related, but I once bought a jersey from a university store on campus feeling, better the University in question makes money from the sale... the price was 60$ US. By the time taxes, shipping etc. had been added it was $100 Canadian and then I got hit with $60 brokerage fee. Final cost, $160. What we have here is Canadian government policy trying to limit cross border shopping. SInce that would be against the free trade agreement, the Canadian government will never admit to that, but, that's essentially what's happening.
Well it's Canada's fault, when shipping within Canada is more expensive than shipping internationally, you know there's something wrong!
Taxes are so high in Canada too! I hate it!! UGH!!! I find myself often traveling to the United States to shop.
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
Hey! I'm Canadian and our accent sounds exactly like American's from New York (not Texas...). He's probably just not very good at spelling! Or typed too fast..
ROFL laughing! Ever try to order a salmon sandwich in Buffalo, N.Y.? How does a Torontonian expect to be understood in the Bronx? A Canadian's accent depends upon which part of the United States he's from, I guess. Well, maybe not Baltimore.