Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

pentax 50-135/2.8 D* zoom lens autofocus

I bought one of these from KEH used. I find the autofocus is slow, I am using on older k-x body. I like fast autofocus as I shoot alot of kids who dont stay still, and I dont have the greast vision. I use manual focus for still subjects. I have heard the autofocus isnt the best, but also that some of the lenses have an actual problem. I have another 30 days to send it back to KEH (no refund but will repair if needed). How do I know if this is the "typical slow autofocus" of this lens or a problem? do yoi think ti will be faster on a more advanced or newer body? thank you for any help

11-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's typical for this lens. The Sigma 70-200mm is much better in this respect if you'd like faster AF:

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Pentax 589109 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2012, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I use Quickshift to get approximate focus, and tweak with AF. Makes focussing with this lens much quicker. Give it a try before you return it.

Not teaching you to suck eggs I hope, but assuming you're right handed, hold the camera with your right hand, have the AF set to half press of the shutter button, lay the lens across your left hand and use thumb and forefinger to adjust zoom/focus, use half press of the shutter button to AF, then follow through and take the shot!
11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
quick shift

thanks for your reply. what is quick shift?

11-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lia Photo Quote
what is quick shift?
It's that amazing feature of the more convenient Pentax autofocus lenses
that lets you focus them manually (just turning the focus ring) at any time,
even when the autofocus is cut in.
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
It's that amazing feature of the more convenient Pentax autofocus lenses
that lets you focus them manually (just turning the focus ring) at any time,
even when the autofocus is cut in.
Most other brands have it too, including the Sigma 70-200mm. But it's definitely a great feature to have!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Most other brands have it too
Unfortunately their implementations aren't always as good,
especially with screw drive,
involving a shove of the focus ring first.

11-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Unfortunately their implementations aren't always as good,
especially with screw drive,
involving a shove of the focus ring first.
No complains with Sigma HSM-only lenses, though. Canon and Nikon lenses also have nice QS systems.

Adam

11-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
autofocus

Do anyone find that the body model increases speed of autofocus of this lens?