Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny_boy27 Quote
DA* 50-135/2.8 is a spectacular lens, you won't be disappointed.
I just ordered that puppy yesterday! $749 shipped.

11-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I just ordered that puppy yesterday! $749 shipped.
Couldn't pass that up... so did I!
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #18

Original Poster
The 50-135 is seriously tempting. I'm rather put off a used version by all the posts documenting autofocus problems. As in the following - hard to know what weight to give these posts! Some are very critical indeed of the motor. Maybe it was a spate of bad samples but the bad samples are out there on the used market and you could buy one. And anyway, seems like the motors on this lens are all exactly the same, even the new ones.

"I've had the 50-135 and 16-50 both fail just out of warrantee. Just over a year. I am now using a 20 year old Takumar zoom lens that autofocuses without a hitch. Go figure. My SDM lenses are still with CRIS."

"I have had two SDMfailures resulting in new lenses from Pentax, you have had two failures, how many other people on this forum and others have hadSDM failures? When is the last time in history (for those of us that have been loyal to Pentax for decades) have you ever heard such a widespread outcry regarding a mechanical failure of a lens?"

"I completely agree with reeftool. When did we as quality lens consumers ever change our attitude to "oh well it is an electronic device, and I will have to pay $275 every couple of years to get it fixed." Not me! I have some 20+ year-old Pentax glass that still works like new. I refuse to spend upwards of $1000 on quality glass, that seems to be driven by subquality, lower cost micro-drives. That is a lot of money to me, and I expect it to last. The other brands only use the micro-ultrasonic drives in their cheapest lenses."

"I have had enough of the SDM "russian roullete." I sold the latest DA* lens that was replaced by Pentax due to SDM failure (the one that if you stored it for more than a day, you would have to wake back up to life by constantly touching the shutter button, and gently turning the focus ring back and forth. No it is not the contacts!) and now I am SDM-less and life is good."

"I've never heard of Canon/Nikon users griping that their ring motors have croaked...only Sigma so far. Ring motors at least should last a long time because of their design which doesn't really use gears/motors... my understanding is that Pentax does not use ring motors. (I wish they did). They use ultrasonic micro motors. The ring motors go around the lens body and can produce substantial torque. They are used on high-quality Canon glass. The micromotor design next to it, is small and must be geared into the lens drive. These are used by Canon on the cheapest lenses with internal focusing motors"

"I just sent mine to Pentax for a repair estimate. It was very slow to "wake up(15-30 seconds)" and start focusing when first attached to the camera. The focus ring seems to have about twice as much drag when manually rotating it compared to my other DA* lens but I don't know if this is normal or not. It also makes a squeaking noise when the focus motor is running sort of like a dry bushing. To counter this they suggested : Storing the lens in a vertical postion and inverting the position occasionally; avoid storing in cold areas; every 7-10 days hold the lens vertically and manual focus the lens pointing it skyward and then to the ground; then mount it on your camera and first focus it manually while pointing it skyward and then to the ground, then do the same thing with auto focus on. Hopefully the replacement motor ($159) is stronger and lighter."

"Stop wishing. It's not. It's the exact same motor they've been using since the lens was released, and it's just as failure-prone as the original. I've got multiple failures over the years to prove it. After the most recent failure, I had it repaired one last time and then sold the damn piece of crap on eBay. Good riddance."
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm going in with a glass-half-full attitude.

I needed a portrait lens, and the 50-135 can double or triple-up for other uses via its flexibility. Worst case, I haven't lost much by buying it at a lower price. Best case, which is what I'm after, I get some great shots of my family.

11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #20

Original Poster
As a placeholder option I got a Pentax-K 70-150 zoom, which has a number of good reviews and is quite cheap for what it is. I can report back when it arrives in a few days. I looked at the 45-125 as well, but I thought I'd try the 70-150 first and see how it goes. The 35-105 doesn't seem too plentiful in Europe, though I'm sure enough were made. Quite expensive in Germany/Austria.