Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

M-Lens aperture blades works on film and do not on digital?

Hi, I have an used SMC M-35/2.8 and I just noticed, that when I mount it on my K-30 the aperture blades stays in the same position (wide open) no matter what I set on lens - I pushed the green button and shutter speed was set to 1/1000s while wide open. I took the shot and set f22, hit the green button and still the same 1/1000s and the picture taken is the same...

BUT!! When I mounted it to my ME Super, aperture works flawlessly

Maybe I'm missing something as I'm new to Pentax, because when I look at my 18-55 dismounted, the aperture blades are fully closed and they are open when I pull the lever. The M lens works the opposite way - it is wide opened and after pulling the lever the aperture blades are closed. And the default position of the lever is different.

Unfortunately I do not have any other M nor DA lenses to check out if my copy of M lens is faulty. Thank you very much for comments.

11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two questions.

Do you have the K-30 set to M mode?

Do you have Using Aperture Ring set to 'Permitted' on the K-30?

The Green Button will only stop down the lens in M mode. In any other mode it will only meter wide open.

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-24-2012 at 01:24 PM.
11-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Follow these instructions and everything should work:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes I have both, I already shot around 100 pictures with the lens on K-30. It is good wide opened and since there is a low light at this time of year I used it only that way so I didn't even noticed till today when I shot in bright light

Adam: thank you, I have read that a few times already and I think I'm doing it right way, I have M mode on camera, possibility to fire without A lens and I use green button to measure light, but the aperture blades are not moving

Last edited by Ivan_M; 11-24-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: reply to adam
11-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan_M Quote
...Maybe I'm missing something as I'm new to Pentax, because when I look at my 18-55 dismounted, the aperture blades are fully closed and they are open when I pull the lever. The M lens works the opposite way - it is wide opened and after pulling the lever the aperture blades are closed. And the default position of the lever is different.

Unfortunately I do not have any other M nor DA lenses to check out if my copy of M lens is faulty. Thank you very much for comments.
That shouldn't happen - the lever should do the same thing on any K-mount lens.

Since the 18-55 has no aperture ring, the blades only move by moving the lever. With the M35/2.8 off the camera, set the aperture ring to f22 and it should work the same as the 18-55: blades closed so there's a small pentagon in the center, moving open as you move the lever. I had one of these with slow blades, but normally the blades should snap shut when the lever is released.

When either lens is on the camera, the lever is pushed open and the blades disappear. That makes focusing easier. The M35/2.8 will stay fully open in every mode except M. Follow the instructions mentioned in the other posts to take photos.
11-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Just1MoreDave, it seem that I really have a bad copy of M lens. When I set F22 on dismounted lens it stays wide opened until I hit the lever. It is a pity that I had 1 week for testing and it is now over for a few days. Spent 70 bucks on it and such a basic thing... Well, I'm wiser now
The luck is that the lens is usable wide opened
11-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter

try pushing the (lens) aperture lever in or out a bit (very little!)--it may not be exactly in proper position. I had an M 50mm f1.7 that stopped actuating after usage, and a slight adjustment of the actuating lever fixed it.
11-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
I think that there might be some spring inside that is not pushing the lever into the position, I will try to repair it

11-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd say try returning it before attempting to do a repair, because, as you said, you are new to Pentax, and you probably don't have the necessary experience to even know the outsides of the lens, let alone the insides.
11-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I had a lens that had the lever bent up against the edge of the metal slot where its located. I nudged it back true and the lens worked fine from then on.