Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
IMHO, for landscapes, you want your UWA lens to be as wide as possible and with some barrel distortion. This distortion maybe bad for architecture photography but for landscapes, it enhances the wide angle effect. If the 8-16 is out of budget than I would suggest the Sigma 10-20 (the old version), I had it when I had a Nikon system and it's a great lens for a relatively low price.

08-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Question rises again

Hello,

I didn' t end up buying this lens, I bought a few others, but now I am determined, as I' m going on a trip and I want only the best (my wallet is crying at this thought) .

I was setting on the 15 mm when I said to myself that for landscapes, I don' t necessarily need AF, thus I can get a manual lens. And what' s more prime then CZ lenses (there are others, I know but at an affordable unaffordable price) .

What could be an equivalent for the Pentax 15 mm, from Carl Zeiss on Pentax K mount? And do you think it' s worth?

Thank you!
08-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming your travel intent is for fun with family/friends and NOT a portfolio quality photo safari...

Get the DA 15 and don't look back...

On the other hand and for about the same price as the lens, I'd leave the K-mount stuff at home and get a Q-mount system (Q, Q10, or Q7) paired to an 01 (normal prime), 03 (Fish-eye for effect) and 06 (tele-zoom for detail and reach). The Q-system's trade-offs and versatility is well documented and its 'cool factor' is huge.

My 2 cents... Cheers... M
08-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Assuming your travel intent is for fun with family/friends and NOT a portfolio quality photo safari...

Get the DA 15 and don't look back...

On the other hand and for about the same price as the lens, I'd leave the K-mount stuff at home and get a Q-mount system (Q, Q10, or Q7) paired to an 01 (normal prime), 03 (Fish-eye for effect) and 06 (tele-zoom for detail and reach). The Q-system's trade-offs and versatility is well documented and its 'cool factor' is huge.

My 2 cents... Cheers... M

Hello,

I' m a large fella with large hands- the new cameras would be hard for me to grip and use. Even for the K5 I had to buy the Grip, to get a better fit.
Thanks for the advice dough- I think as well that the 15mm will win the contest (it' s on my mind for over a year now; it ain' t LBA- I think/ hope) .
I will use it in this holiday, but it ain' t just for holidays, I hope I' ll do some good landscapes/ cityscapes with it.

All the best!

08-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
What could be an equivalent for the Pentax 15 mm, from Carl Zeiss on Pentax K mount?
The new Zeiss 15/2.8 for DSLRs isn't offered in K-mount as such,
but is made with an M42 screwmount in the industrial series.

Here's the link (disregard the title):

F-Mount Lenses
08-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

I' m a large fella with large hands...
I understand... and will be very surprised to hear that the 15 disappoints. If you wish to be a bit more experimental, consider the DA 10-17 FE. Between 15-17, it's not very 'fishy.' or if it seems so, it's easy to correct. Next to my DA 21, the 15 is my most used lens in close urban settings. For the times when I feel a bit wonky, there's just nothing that delivers quite like the 10-17.

Cheers... M
08-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #22

Hello,

I' m a large fella with large hands- the new cameras would be hard for me to grip and use. Even for the K5 I had to buy the Grip, to get a better fit.
Thanks for the advice dough- I think as well that the 15mm will win the contest (it' s on my mind for over a year now; it ain' t LBA- I think/ hope) .
I will use it in this holiday, but it ain' t just for holidays, I hope I' ll do some good landscapes/ cityscapes with it.

All the best!
I have gone to few trips with my 15mm and I was very happy that I brought it instead of other heavy lenses. The weight during trips really is a plus point. Believe me, you don't want to have heavy lenses during your trips.

08-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #23

Original Poster
Hell to all,

Yesterday my new `baby` / toy has arrived (the 15 mm) . I already love it, the build quality. Hope to take with it many good photos.

All the best, and thank you all for the advices! The topic will stay on, as I have other lenses on the wishlist, but first I need to earn some money.

Bye!

L.E. :

I recieved a bad copy that doesn' t focus to infinity, everything is blurry and weird. I am sad, but hopefully the guys from the store will change it with a good one.

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 05-08-2014 at 12:24 PM.
11-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #24

Original Poster
Hello,

Some samples of the 50mm F1.7:

Shots taken at F2.8.

Samples with the 15mm I don' t have yet. Surprizingly it doesn' t `do the trick` with me. Maybe I had high hopes for it.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 05-08-2014 at 12:24 PM.
11-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA15 is a specialty lens. It is only reliably sharp across the frame from about f/8.0. My new copy does slightly better than my first, but only by one stop. Once you get a feel for what it does well (use it every day for a month) it will reward you handsomely. Do NOT discard it until you have given it a red hot go!
04-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA15 is a specialty lens. It is only reliably sharp across the frame from about f/8.0. My new copy does slightly better than my first, but only by one stop. Once you get a feel for what it does well (use it every day for a month) it will reward you handsomely. Do NOT discard it until you have given it a red hot go!
Hello,

I rarely use it, but when I do, with F8 or above, I am impressed.
But as I said, rarely.

15mm F4 Sample(s) :

I also managed to get my hands on the Sigma 17- 50 mm F2.8- quite impressed.

All the best!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 05-25-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added samples