Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What to buy next?

Good day,

I have a wishlist. On that wishlist there' s the Pentax 31mm F1.8, the Pentax-FA* 85mm F 1:1,4 and a wide angle, super wide to be honest (reason why I initiated this thread) .

First of all, I don' t consider it as the start of LBA, cause I think that aldough a photographer takes the photo, a good lens helps him in the way a good car helps a good race driver win the race. All cars turn corners, brake and what not, they can even finish the race, but it' s important to finish first. Thus it' s not a want as a need (this part was meant to be a joke- hopefully my shrink and account saw it this way) .

Ok, seeing that I am still a beginner, I still am improving thus this thread is meant for the future, when I will raise enough money and hopefully enough skill to buy and use the lens.

I sometimes take landscapes (cityscapes, street photos, square shots, call them as you wish; haven' t been able to reach the mountains to take true landscapes) , it' s soothing for me (I want to engage in erotic photos, but lack the skill and mostly the subjects; but there' s still some time for that as well) . Some examples of what I took with the standard kit lens SMC 18-55 mm F3.5-4.5 can be seen lower in this thread or in my gallery. But I think it ain' t enough, I want something sharper thus have decided to finally raise the money for one (not just plan it) . I want to raise the money in the following year or so, for price drops. Max budget would be 700$ (be it new, or SH in mint condition) .

I need your opinion what should I get:

The SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited or the SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF] ?I' ve read the reviews on both of the lenses but honestly I need a personal opinion from more experienced guys what and why should I?

Camera used Pentax K5.

Samples of what I sometimes shoot (post processed) ; Some are not as wide as I would have wanted them to be :

Any help/ suggestions are welcomed!
Thank you!

L..E. A few more pictures with the 18-55mm on long exposure.

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 05-08-2014 at 12:23 PM.
11-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #2

Well, nice pics! In my oppininon as long as you postprocess your pictures as heavily as these samples show, it hardly matters what lens you use, not to mention the minor differences i sharpness.
11-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chewmark Quote
Well, nice pics! In my oppininon as long as you postprocess your pictures as heavily as these samples show, it hardly matters what lens you use, not to mention the minor differences i sharpness.
Good day,

About the post- processing. The last three pictures are post processed in the HDR Single Frame plugin for Photoshop. The Black&White ones, are processed in SilverEffex (the one with the Dome- Church as well, after the HDR) .
I don' t like postprocessing so much. To tune the exposure and what not- it' s fine, but I like the colors and everything to come out of the box sort of, just to tidy it up a bit afterwards. This are massively `tideyed up` . So I do think a lens would help me in this department; or no?

Thank you!
11-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You're deciding between a prime here and a zoom lens, no one can tell you here which one will be the best for you since it depends on you.

Primes are mostly sharper and less aberration and zoom are more multi functional in a way, you can easily have both lenses and use them just as much.
With primes you need to look for a shot that works with zooms you can adept the lens to an extend, it's a different way of shooting.

11-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Good day,

About the post- processing. The last three pictures are post processed in the HDR Single Frame plugin for Photoshop. The Black&White ones, are processed in SilverEffex (the one with the Dome- Church as well, after the HDR) .
I don' t like postprocessing so much. To tune the exposure and what not- it' s fine, but I like the colors and everything to come out of the box sort of, just to tidy it up a bit afterwards. This are massively `tideyed up` . So I do think a lens would help me in this department; or no?

Thank you!
Colours are effected by the len as well but not that much, it mostly comes down to the sense of the image looking cooler or warmer.
Contrast and sharpness are things mostly influence by the lens.
If you want the colours to come out of the box right you need to setup the camera right, lens won't help much if any.

A filter like a polarize would be of greater help looking at your photos.
11-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You're deciding between a prime here and a zoom lens, no one can tell you here which one will be the best for you since it depends on you.

Primes are mostly sharper and less aberration and zoom are more multi functional in a way, you can easily have both lenses and use them just as much.
With primes you need to look for a shot that works with zooms you can adept the lens to an extend, it's a different way of shooting.

Good day,

Thank you for the reply. That is why I' ve stopped at the 12-24, for its zoom capabilities. I don' t really know if I' ll need it in reality, but it is an extra that I think nobody would mind (helps the extra steps forward or backwards) . Image wise (the quality, sharpness and all that) I am very interested. I know `primes` are the high end quality glass, that is why I' m still interested in the 15mm (let' s not forget the space and weight this small lens occupies and has- they are basically null) .
Regarding the colors. I don' t really like the lickerish look of the photos, but apparently the persons I' ve shown them do. I' m more a B&W. Not that it' s anything wrong with colors, but neither with B&W (here I' ve posted mostly colored photos, I know- I double edit them seeing I shoot raw) .
OK, so my perception of post processing is wrong, as the `quality` of the color will come from the settings I make.

But what about the lenses? Doesn' t anybody have a personal opinion on them? Or even better, a personal comparison?

Thank you!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 11-25-2012 at 04:18 AM.
11-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If in your landscape shots you can effectively zoom with your feet then the DA 15 is the way to go. Otherwise if toy can tolerate its sheer size, the DA 12-24 is a fine wide angle lens.

11-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Good day,

Thank you for the reply. That is why I' ve stopped at the 12-24, for its zoom capabilities. I don' t really know if I' ll need it in reality, but it is an extra that I think nobody would mind (helps the extra steps forward or backwards) . Image wise (the quality, sharpness and all that) I am very interested. I know `primes` are the high end quality glass, that is why I' m still interested in the 15mm (let' s not forget the space and weight this small lens occupies and has- they are basically null) .
Regarding the colors. I don' t really like the lickerish look of the photos, but apparently the persons I' ve shown them do. I' m more a B&W. Not that it' s anything wrong with colors, but neither with B&W (here I' ve posted mostly colored photos, I know- I double edit them seeing I shoot raw) .
OK, so my perception of post processing is wrong, as the `quality` of the color will come from the settings I make.

But what about the lenses? Doesn' t anybody have a personal opinion on them? Or even better a personal comparison?

Thank you!
I think the DA 12-24 is every bit as sharp as the DA 15 and it is wider. I chose the DA 15 for its flare resistance and small size, but it really needs to be stopped down to f5.6 for the borders to be sharp. At the same time, either one would sharper (and wider) than what you have right now. But, if you can find a copy of the 12-24, I would probably go with that.

(obligatory DA 15 landscape photo).

11-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But, if you can find a copy of the 12-24, I would probably go with that.
Good day,

I would like to test both but unfortunately here the only Pentax Shop is 600km away from me, and that' s a bummer to say the least.
Nice photo by the way.

Thank you!
11-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you'll be taking a lot of casual shots of people,
the DA 15 will be better, since it doesn't attract as much attention
as a zoom (even worse with a hood attached).

The only zoom I use is the Tamron 17-50,
which is small for a zoom,
but still bad from this point of view.

The DA 15 is much more discreet.
11-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The 12-24 is a better lens for landscapes. <= my opinion--I've owned both.
11-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
The 12-24 is a better lens for landscapes. <= my opinion--I've owned both.
Good day,

Thank you for your recommendation. Care to share some samples?

Thank you!
11-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

I've owned the 12-24 and I currently own the Sigma 8-16. Although the Pentax is sharper, the difference in FOV creates a huge advantage towards the Sigma. I know it wasn't originally in your list, but I suggest you seriously consider it as an alternative.
I've attached an example...
Attached Images

11-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Euronitzan Quote
I've owned the 12-24 and I currently own the Sigma 8-16. Although the Pentax is sharper, the difference in FOV creates a huge advantage towards the Sigma. I know it wasn't originally in your list, but I suggest you seriously consider it as an alternative.
I've attached an example...

Good day,

Beautiful place. The Sigma I think is somehow over budget. I' ve seen it second hand for 500 euros, so above my dollar budget (aldough I live in Europe and thus the Euro zone) .
I can' t find a review of the lens on this site, but I' ve seen some great shots with it in the `club` thread section.

Thank you again for that suggestion!
11-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

Spot on.

The 12-24 is not as big as people make it out to be - it's mostly the hood...It is also significantly wider than the 15, so if you want really wide, there it is.