Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

Leica Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 ,, IS it good for 8$

I have found here in Egypt , a good copy of the Leica R 24mm f/2.8 , clean glass for only 8$ (50L.E pounds)... is it better than the pentax-K 24mm f/2.8 that i already have ? am thinking to get the reversible adapter of the leica R to pk .. or better to sell it for other better 24mm lens ??

11-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you thinking of a Leitax conversion (if it is possible with the 24)?
An adapter with internal optics would degrade the IQ.

The K24/2.8 is hard to beat.
The Zeiss ZK 25/2.8 is better optically,
but twice the size and three times the price.
Don't know how a Leitaxed R would compare.
11-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Depending on condition and where you can sell it, you could fetch anything from about $250 to about $800+.
With that you could acquire both an excellent body and a range of lenses (K, or M - manual focus - and still excellent lenses), and wind up with more than just a very fine lens. It all depends on what you want to do....

good luck!

11-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

For $8? Are you kidding? Just about any lens is worth taking a chance on at that price. As long as it isn't damaged and seems to work, buy it.

11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At that price you don't even have to think about it.

The three rules of lens buying.

1. If it costs the same as a sandwich buy it. ($5-10)
2. If it costs as much as a deluxe pizza, think about it. ($15-20)
3. If it costs more than a fancy dinner, ask a lot of questions (and your wife if married).
11-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Elmarit-R 24mm was not a Leica design--I think it was designed and manufactured by Minolta--so it has a slightly different optical character to it than the "true" Leica lenses. It was one of several designs from other companies that bridged between Leica's 35mm lenses and the eventual 19mm that they came out with. That said, I'd readily pay $200 USD for a good copy of one because I enjoy my other Leica-R lenses so much. Even though it was a Minolta lens, it was designed and manufactured to Leica specifications, so I have no doubt that it is a solid lens.

In my experience with an Elmarit-R 35mm and Summicron-R 50mm, Leica has less chromatic aberration and better contrast transition than Pentax lenses, which can be sharper but which can also appear less natural. Also, my Leica lenses make my Takumar lenses seem a bit dainty, both in size and weight, although I doubt the Takumar mechanics are actually less durable.
11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

No, the lens is just trash. why don't you ship it to me, i help you by cover the shipping cost and give 10$ for the lens.