Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

is it worth getting this 28mm in this condition

hello,

im looking to get a SMC A 28mm 2.8, iv found one but the rear lens coating is very slightly blemished, looks like a series of faint/light scratches. Barely noticeable to the naked eye, unless you happen to catch them when holding up the lens to a bright light.

will this affect image quality?

do you guys think its worth getting?

iv made my mind up that i want this type of lens, just interested in your opinions on this specific one.

thanks all

11-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nope!

Hello Cookiies, Welcome to the Forum!
I'd say "No", wait for another one in better condition.
Pentax (and other brand PK-A mount lenses) in 28mm, usually f/2.8, are very easy to find, lots of 'em on the market. I see "M"s go for $50.00 USD on eBay and "A"s for less than $100. Remember, you only pay for a lens once, then use it forever. Or, at least a long time.
My rule for used lenses; NO scratches or marked glass, all functions work properly, clear photos of front and bayonet, plus a "see-through" photo (if buying online).
Good Luck!
Ron
11-26-2012, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In most cases small/slight scratches will not be noticeable in the actual image. Sometimes you get a little more flare if they are on the front element and the light hits it just right.

If this was a rare lens or a particularly good deal I would have no problem chancing it. However, as rbefly pointed out this is not a rare lens and when buying used patience is your friend. Don't jump on the first one you see, make sure you get a good one as you will likely have it a long time. If you need it RIGHT NOW then go for it. Otherwise I would pass.

You don't mention what the seller is asking so you could also go back and ask for a price reduction because of the scratches, but you need to know what the going price is, the seller may have already discounted it. Only you can decide if a 'good deal' or a mint lens is more important. For me, I don't waste my time on anything that isn't close to perfect, too many used lenses on the market, I'll wait for a good one unless it is something really rare.
11-26-2012, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Generally I'd say don't buy lenses unless they're perfect optically. Cosmetics is another story.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Depends on the cost.
I recently bought the same kind of lens, except mine has some rather hefty fungus inside.

It works well enough, but every image needs to have some contrast added because of the white fungus.

It really does depend on price, if it's extremely cheap (like, $5 or so) then I'd say do it. Anything more though and you'd be better off waiting.

I unfortunately paid a bit too much for mine, but I bought a bulk lot of camera gear sight unseen off ebay (I did get a nice K1000, an ok AF160 flash, and a perfect 50mmF1.7 from the lot though)
11-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Scratches on the rear element are bad news, I think. On the other hand, a few slight scratches on the front element would be no big deal, especially if the price was right.

Anyway, I'd definitely avoid...
11-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Scratches on the rear element are bad news, I think. On the other hand, a few slight scratches on the front element would be no big deal, especially if the price was right.

Anyway, I'd definitely avoid...
What he said...

A few light scratches on the front element usually don't affect image quality. The same cannot be said for the rear element or internal elements. 28mm lenses in K-mount are common and usually fairly reasonably priced. I would pass on this one.

Steve