Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll get one, IF. and i do say IF, one is ever released. Most nearly all my lenses are FF lenses, and my old 8mm circular Fisheye has been whining from the cupboard about not getting out anymore...

At the moment, I'm really thinking about a Q-10, Just saw a Silver one, with the Brown Leatherette... Sexy..

12-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I have a 24-60, 70-200 and 150-500 which will all work as ff lenses. What I would still like -whether Pentax release a ff or not - is an fa77 or sigma 85. I will get one or the other. Where it gets difficult is at.the wide end. Been considering the 10-20, but also wondering if a 15-30 (if I can find one) might be the go as it would be ff compatible as well.

Oh, and i'll keep the k10 and k5. And add a ff when money allows.
12-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
will you go:

a)All FF and re-purchase your favorite non-FA lens

b)Stay with top APS-C

c)Do both?

I may go 2 FF/1 APS-C or vice-versa.
Since I currently have 4 Pentax dSLR plus the k-01, I would do both. I would likely sell off my K20d (maybe even the *istD ) but I may sell off the K20d anyway.
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll keep what I have & be happy. I've seen plenty of staggeringly awesome shots taken with the current Pentax APS-C cameras. People like Benjikan & Charis Talbot are proof that APS-C is plenty capable. No need for me to drop big $$$ into FF.

12-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Not changing to FF anytime soon. In particular with Pentax, there are even fewer lens options (current, auto, AF) lenses in FF than in APS. It seems unlikely that that would change overnight with the introduction of a FF body. While backwards compatibility is nice, not everybody wants to use old lenses, and realistically lens technology is probably going to have to evolve to keep pace with FF bodies.

Paul
12-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
Pentaxian

If I were going to answer this question, and based on my comparisons which have suggested that only the D800 among cameras currently available surpasses the k-5 in IQ, it would be

If an FF does debut, it probably won't have better IQ than a K-5.
12-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #37
Banned

If a FF comes out, then my FA35 becomes a semi-wide angle (thank god) and my F50 1.7 becomes my all around street shooter.

I kind of hope Pentax really dazzles us by giving us a new, FF mirrorless that can back up the optics and improve on the K-01's minor shortcomings.

12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I kind of hope Pentax really dazzles us by giving us a new, FF mirrorless that can back up the optics and improve on the K-01's minor shortcomings.
They should make a traditional FF built for speed, and get rid of the mirror in the 645D IMO. Pointless having one because it really slows things down!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Not changing to FF anytime soon. In particular with Pentax, there are even fewer lens options (current, auto, AF) lenses in FF than in APS. It seems unlikely that that would change overnight with the introduction of a FF body. While backwards compatibility is nice, not everybody wants to use old lenses, and realistically lens technology is probably going to have to evolve to keep pace with FF bodies.

Paul
What part of lens technology is going to evolve aside from coatings?

Also there's nothing wrong with 'old' lenses (at least the primes) aside from one's preference for AF/MF and aperture control from the camera. However the money is made from lenses and not bodies so if/when there is a FF Pentax will also need to release several lenses including a complete set of zooms.
12-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
What part of lens technology is going to evolve aside from coatings?
As coatings improve, it becomes possible to use more elements to obtain better corrections.

For example, the Zeiss Z* 35/2, with 9 elements, has just been replaced by the Z* 35/1.4 with 11 elements.

Its competitor, the new Sigma 35/1.4, incorporates a newly developed "FLD glass,"
which is supposed to be like the calcium fluoride elements used in the best Coastal Optics lenses.

Lens technology has to evolve to keep up with the new sensors.
Compare the Photozone reviews of the FA 43 on the K10 and the K5:
"The Pentax SMC FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited produced mixed feelings during the tests (performed at 16mp).
This is in so far surprising that the lens performed rather nicely in our initial test based on the Pentax K10D (at 10mp)."
12-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #41
jco

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Because there is no reason to go FF in 2012

Not with the current market trends, that is. Go APS or go MF, FF serves no real purpose.
Advantages of FF vs. APS-C

better high ISO performance
better overall resolution even with lower quality lenses
bigger better viewfinders
wider wide angle lenses ( no crop factor)
higher performance with virtually same size body and legacy lenses
higher overall resolution possible
probably more than havent been named
12-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #42
jco

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
If (when) FF does come out, I'm more worried about the effect on the used lens market than anything. I doubt you'll see lenses like the F35-70 go for $50 in a Pentax FF world. For the last year or so I've been getting my FF/AF ducks in a row...
Ive already scored all my Pentax FF lenses. I have dozens of K/M/A lenses on hand and a FF body to fully utilize them would really hit the spot right now....
12-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jco Quote
Advantages of FF vs. APS-C

better high ISO performance
Not in all cases.

QuoteQuote:
better overall resolution even with lower quality lenses
Not in all cases. See what people are saying about the D800.
QuoteQuote:
bigger better viewfinders
Correct.
QuoteQuote:
wider wide angle lenses ( no crop factor)
Correct, when available.
QuoteQuote:
higher performance with virtually same size body and legacy lenses
Not in all cases.
QuoteQuote:
higher overall resolution possible
Possible, but not in all cases.
QuoteQuote:
probably more than havent been named
Because you were already reaching a bit far.
12-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #44
Forum Member

I'd probably stick with APS-C for 2 reasons:
1. Budget (though if I make any new purchases I'll probably make sure they'll work on FF equipment.)
2. I like shooting sports - what I would lose in "reach" would probably kill me!
(And please allow for a dumb question; what the heck is "IQ"?)
12-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
will you go:

a)All FF and re-purchase your favorite non-FA lens

b)Stay with top APS-C

c)Do both?

I may go 2 FF/1 APS-C or vice-versa.
I wouldn't likely invest in a first gen. FF Pentax camera given that most every line requires a time for maturity. Not to mention the limited no. of modern lenses that would come with a new FF body.

That being said, it's rather tough to justify a FF kit these days given the K-5's overall performance position. Not to mention the state of fast lenses that are now available for APS-C camera's today.

At any rate, I'd like hang back and wait for mirrorless technology to reach maturity before jumping the gun myself since this is likely going to the future.