Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sunglint Quote
...With an A and up you can change the aperture via your controls, so no need to play with the ring at all. I strongly dislike trying to compose stopped down, hated that on my old Nikon too. For the price I would consider an FA 1.7, not ridiculously expensive and lets you have the autofocus.
I may have misunderstood but with the M lenses you don't compose stopped down - it stops down briefly as you hit the green button to meter, and again when you take the shot, but it's wide open as you compose - or am I mistaken?

12-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
I may have misunderstood but with the M lenses you don't compose stopped down - it stops down briefly as you hit the green button to meter, and again when you take the shot, but it's wide open as you compose - or am I mistaken?
You are correct. Not having the "A" contacts is an inconvenience, but not as huge as might be imagined. The strategy is to meter the subject and shoot until either the light changes or your finger gets tired. There truly is little need to re-meter between shots.

I did not fully appreciate this until I started shooting again with various meterless film cameras.

Steve
12-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #33

DOH!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are correct. Not having the "A" contacts is an inconvenience, but not as huge as might be imagined. The strategy is to meter the subject and shoot until either the light changes or your finger gets tired. There truly is little need to re-meter between shots.

I did not fully appreciate this until I started shooting again with various meterless film cameras.
Steve
Sorry, you're right. I'm probably remembering my old nikon F, the lenses that didnt index were similar. What kind of meterless film cameras? I keep eyeing the Bersas...
12-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunglint Quote
What kind of meterless film cameras?
I have a number of vintage 35mm rangefinders and SLRs and a 4x5 view camera.

Steve

12-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Regarding the 50/1.4 vs 50/1.7 question, there's an interesting comparison here:

Nifty 50 Shootout : ERPhotoReview

In terms of sharpness/resolution, the 50/1.4 turns in excellent performance compared to the others, particularly from f2 to f5.6 - though is poor wide open (but wide open is significantly wider-open than the others). (Incidentally, the difference between wide-open and stopped-down performance may imply some spherical aberration - has anyone noticed focus changing when the lens is stopped down?)

A couple more points taken from this forum: the 50/1.4 may have slightly softer bokeh, and definitely benefits from a lens hood.