Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What do you use for the wide? (ie. 24mm)
If you use it mostly for landscapes, then I'd suggest you just use a MF lens for the wide option.

WA lenses below 24mm are generally not that cheap (even MF ones).
Many legacy ones don't make economic sense on APS-C either.
Eg. A 17/3.5 Tokina may have been great on FF, but on APS-C, you might as well use the kit lens which is lighter and almost the same size.

If you absolutely want the AF, then perhaps Sigma 24/2.8 AF and FA28/2.8

Either DA35/2.4 or DA40XS are great and low priced choices.
DA40XS can be a bit tight in FOV though, but the price/performance/size is so good, its hard to pass up.

DA50/1.8 will do well enough up to chest to head type portraits.
If your main purpose for a short 75mm or longer equivalent lens is for portraits, I'd suggest going straight to a DA70, FA77 or even Sigma/Tamron 60/90mm macro.

If you are willing to save up more and stretch the money a bit, I'd say just get DA15ltd; DA35/2.4 and FA77ltd and be done with it.

11-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #17

If you start from a collection of manual focus primes and already have good ones, like the 50/1.7, then one really big gap is around 21mm. My son uses a Pentax K-30 and we have available all my old MF lenses which I use on an EOS digital. This includes plenty of 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm - the common stuff. We considered all the options and got the 21 Ltd. It's very sharp and was a good choice. The 28-50mm range isn't urgent.

All the soul-searching has been in the 70-135 range. A zoom is useful here for landscapes and other scenes where you can't exactly move closer of further away. This hasn't been resolved yet. The 50-135 is of course tempting except for the autofocus motor issues. And anyway it's not cheap. There are good manual zooms like the 70-150 and 35-105 which are fine as placeholders. But we haven't really cracked the ideal of a light and fairly small option in this range, that would go in a small and light carry-everywhere bag together with something like a 21mm and a 35/2.4. Maybe two primes?
11-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Unfortunately for you, you're already DOOMED.
You can't just buy "one" Limited. I know because I thought I could, some time ago. But then if you open that door... You might as well just go directly for the DA 21/40/70 trio. Take as much time as you need to buy each one of them (maybe used) but don't try to "save money" by buying cheaper alternatives, it won't last. Soon you'll "have to get" the Limiteds. So, the only way to not spend more than necessary is to not get anything else.
Sorry man, I wish I had better news for you.
I'm ready to accept my fate as far as the 40 and 70 are concerned, the 21 hasn't convinced me quite yet. I want to keep my FF-options open and I'd rather play around with a Zoom in the WA range before I settle on a fixed FL. Using the DA18-55 I couldn't really find anything special about ~21mm but I constantly find myself wanting to go wider. If it turns out that 15mm really suits me, I'll go for the DA15 but until then a decent 10-20 or 12-24 ist probably the better option for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
What do you use for the wide? (ie. 24mm)
If you use it mostly for landscapes, then I'd suggest you just use a MF lens for the wide option.
On film I use the 24 for landscapes (cityscapes, rather), for that I'm fine with MF but on my K-5 it's not wide enough for that, there I end up using it as a wide walkaround and I usually have a foreground subject to misfocus on.
11-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma made AF versions of both the SuperWide (24mm f/2.8) and MiniWide (28mm f/2.8) I have the former and it is good, not perfect but very nice. I chose to keep it over the DA 21. Those two Sigmas are relative bargains among AF primes. The DA 35/2.4 or 40/2.8 get a lot of love, and the F 50/1.7 is great, I would presume the DA 50/1.8 is too. DA 15 sparkles, but getting out of the inexpensive range. So too with the DA 70, but not too many other AF options. There is a Pentax and various off brand macro lenses of the same general make 100/3.5 AF prime - might be worth chasing. Good luck!

11-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
On film I use the 24 for landscapes (cityscapes, rather), for that I'm fine with MF but on my K-5 it's not wide enough for that, there I end up using it as a wide walkaround and I usually have a foreground subject to misfocus on.
You don't have a choice if you want cheap. The Sigma 24/2.8, 28/2.8 and FA28/2.8 would be the main choices.