Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #46
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,072
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Supposed to have a more even performance across the frame, slightly lower center sharpness, but both are outstanding lenses.
I have the 70 Limited. Phenomenal lens. Bokeh wonderful.

12-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #47
Senior Member
gooseta's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Posts: 157
Original Poster
Looks like I may purchase the tamron 70-200 soon.
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #48
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,075
I didn't see the DA15 brought up in this thread but this is another consideration on the wide end. One benefit is that it would share filters with the DA35f2.4 and M50f1.7.

I debated back and forth between the DFA100WR and M100f4. Ultimately I went with the DFA and it's awesome but if choosing the M instead means that you can buy another lens that you really want then the M might work. Is WR important? f2.8? 1:1 macro? I really like my DFA but the M would probably be just as useful.

One other benefit of the A* vs the M* is that the aperture is controlled from the camera instead of twisting the ring. If you have a shot lined up it can be a little inconvenient to re-position your hands to change the aperture. A dial is much easier to turn. It's also nice to have aperture information recorded.

For right now I would wait on the FA31/FA35 and concentrate on the lenses where you don't actually have anything. I would decide if you really want this after you spend 2000-3000 dollars.

Lenses to buy
Wide angle - 600+ for the DA15/DA12-24
telephoto zoom - 600-800 I don't follow the prices for these to closely but they are both excellent lenses
macro - 100+ for the M and 600+ for the DFA100
M*/A*/DA* - 500-1200
12-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #49
Senior Member
gooseta's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Posts: 157
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I didn't see the DA15 brought up in this thread but this is another consideration on the wide end. One benefit is that it would share filters with the DA35f2.4 and M50f1.7.

I debated back and forth between the DFA100WR and M100f4. Ultimately I went with the DFA and it's awesome but if choosing the M instead means that you can buy another lens that you really want then the M might work. Is WR important? f2.8? 1:1 macro? I really like my DFA but the M would probably be just as useful.

One other benefit of the A* vs the M* is that the aperture is controlled from the camera instead of twisting the ring. If you have a shot lined up it can be a little inconvenient to re-position your hands to change the aperture. A dial is much easier to turn. It's also nice to have aperture information recorded.

For right now I would wait on the FA31/FA35 and concentrate on the lenses where you don't actually have anything. I would decide if you really want this after you spend 2000-3000 dollars.

Lenses to buy
Wide angle - 600+ for the DA15/DA12-24
telephoto zoom - 600-800 I don't follow the prices for these to closely but they are both excellent lenses
macro - 100+ for the M and 600+ for the DFA100
M*/A*/DA* - 500-1200
I don't think the 15 will be wide enough for me and from what I've heard it isn't as sharp as the 12-24 and the 12-24 also has good flare resistance. Tamron 70-200 will be purchased in the next weeks, so that leaves the macro, tele prime, and uwa. I don't want to spent too much money on a limited, maybe i will buy the 21 limited but the 35/2.4 is very sharp so I won't need anything in the 30 range except maybe a 30/1.4 sigma. I've decided on the DA 300 mainly because it has af if I ever get into nature shots and I can always do mf for my airshow shots and I'll pair it with a 1.5tc. For the macro I'm probably going for the WR 100, but I find that the excessive purple fringing might change my mind to the Tamron 90mm or maybe the sigma 105. Since the 70-200 is a gift, I'll have spare cash so I was thinking of the 10-17 fisheye, or the 21mm limited, I have also been pondering the Q10+8.5 combo for street shooting, as I often feel a bit unsafe walking around with a big camera (even though a robber wouldn't have heard of pentax lol)

12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #50
Site Supporter
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,699
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
I don't think the 15 will be wide enough for me and from what I've heard it isn't as sharp as the 12-24 and the 12-24 also has good flare resistance. Tamron 70-200 will be purchased in the next weeks, so that leaves the macro, tele prime, and uwa. I don't want to spent too much money on a limited, maybe i will buy the 21 limited but the 35/2.4 is very sharp so I won't need anything in the 30 range except maybe a 30/1.4 sigma. I've decided on the DA 300 mainly because it has af if I ever get into nature shots and I can always do mf for my airshow shots and I'll pair it with a 1.5tc. For the macro I'm probably going for the WR 100, but I find that the excessive purple fringing might change my mind to the Tamron 90mm or maybe the sigma 105. Since the 70-200 is a gift, I'll have spare cash so I was thinking of the 10-17 fisheye, or the 21mm limited, I have also been pondering the Q10+8.5 combo for street shooting, as I often feel a bit unsafe walking around with a big camera (even though a robber wouldn't have heard of pentax lol)
i cant remember if i replied to this thread yet, but regarding the long tele, i got an F*300/4.5 that seems sharper than the DA*300 i've rented a few times, and it is way more compact, which is important when i am wearing 7 lenses on my vest plus a tele in a belt case. It pairs well with the Tamfon AF 1.4x TC for 420mm in total focal length.

Also, i recommend the Tamron 70-200 which is one of my most used lenses. I don't at all recommend the Tamron 90/2.8 Macro, however, due to the frozen aperture problems.
The 10-17 fisheye is great to have for sure.

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-05-2012 at 12:18 PM.
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #51
Senior Member
gooseta's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Posts: 157
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i cant remember if i replied to this thread yet, but regarding the long tele, i got an F*300/4.5 that seems sharper than the DA*300 i've rented a few times, and it is way more compact, which is important when i am wearing 7 lenses on my vest plus a tele in a belt case. It pairs well with the Tamfon AF 1.4x TC for 420mm in total focal length.

Also, i recommend the Tamron 70-200 which is one of my most used lenses. I don't at all recommend the Tamron 90/2.8 Macro, however, due to the frozen aperture problems.
The 10-17 fisheye is great to have for sure.
I have just ordered the 70-200. The problem with the old teles is that they are really rare and in the uk there are none and i couldnt find one on international ebay. Anyway, as long as the 300mm with 1.5 tc is as good as my tamron 200-500 at 450 i'm fine
12-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #52
Senior Member
gooseta's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Posts: 157
Original Poster
Just started playing around with the 70-200, phenomenal iq for the price.
Berries | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
12-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #53
Senior Member
gooseta's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Posts: 157
Original Poster
I will be purchasing the 12-24 soon along with a Sigma DP1M and maybe the macro

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
150mm, 77mm, k-mount, lens, macro, mf, pentax, pentax lens, portrait, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've managed to convice a Work colleague to Move to Pentax DLSR disco_owner Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 12-12-2012 02:42 AM
Looking to move up to A K 5 offshore5 Pentax K-5 6 12-28-2011 07:57 PM
Move from DSLR to M4/3 - what to expect? stormtech Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 48 11-22-2011 03:55 PM
Sony to move to SLTs only ukwoody Pentax News and Rumors 27 02-26-2011 10:54 AM
Complete n00b to interchangeable lenses. Silverkarn Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 08-10-2010 10:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top