Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
You and I and a lot of others know that but when a new member with 5 posts uses the averages to haggle and acts put out when I point out that the last several lenses sold much higher it is just frustrating. End of Rant
Understood. Still don't see that as adequate reason to edit the reviews/ratings but I do understand your frustration.

11-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It would be better if it displayed the distribution. Maybe it is a love hate relationship.

Not defending anyone, but this is a user's rating system and every one is entitled to his opinion
I agree. in particular because the bias also seem to work the other way round - towards a general "love" relationship.

I find it a bit odd that so many lenses and other gear get a rating of 9 and even 10. Most of us are - hopefully - very happy with our newest acquisition, but to me an 8 would/should be a highly recommended item while inflation in ratings now unfortunately seems to make an 8-rating indicate something nearer to mediocre, which is a shame.

If "everything decent" gets a 9 or 10, how shall we then rate the really good stuff?

I have come to believe that we users should only be given the option to give the sub-ratings and leave it to the software to compute the overall rating.
11-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ok, now I agree something needs to be done. A new member, with precisely 1 post, has rated the K45-125 as a 2. Seriously? That lens is about as sharp as a zoom has a right to be. As for CA and such, its a 30+ year old lens with coatings from that era. Geez.
11-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, now I agree something needs to be done. A new member, with precisely 1 post, has rated the K45-125 as a 2. Seriously? That lens is about as sharp as a zoom has a right to be. As for CA and such, its a 30+ year old lens with coatings from that era. Geez.
Maybe someone made a fake account and is trying to drive the price down so he can afford one.

11-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It would be better if it displayed the distribution.
+1. A Histogram would provide the best type of info in nearly all the case, and it should be very easy to implement.

Thanks in advance to our PF Site adminstrator for that...
11-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Maybe someone made a fake account and is trying to drive the price down so he can afford one.

I like how you think.
11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the DFA 50mm review. He gave it a '1' rating and only paid $60 for it. From someone with only 1 post?

11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A bit more guidance on the rating system, maybe with some spelled out examples, would be useful. To one person a 1 might be the equivalent of the bottom of a beer bottle and a 10 an unattainable perfection, while others will be more realistic. A field of 'how long have you had this lens' would also help - some of the reviews are obviously written by owners who'd just taken a lens out of its box.

Still, it is an incredibly useful database and it certainly gets used. I get 100+ daily hits on the Flickr thumbnails in my contributions.
11-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like and second (or third) the idea on a ratings histogram chart. Amazon has this feature and I find it valuable, especially in reading the low evaluations. Yes, there may be a bias, but it usually does tell you if there is a problem. As to the prices, again I find value in them, however you do have to factor in when the reviewer may have acquired the lens - 10 years ago, or last night, couple that with a new price or a used price. At best it is usually general dart throw. The recent sales on evilbay is a bit more representative of the current market price.

There is always going to be someone who is dissatisfied with an item and wants to reflect their views.

11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

What I find idiotic are reviewers that downgrade because the lens is MF when the already knew that it was made in the film era before posting. Stupid.
11-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
What I find idiotic are reviewers that downgrade because the lens is MF when the already knew that it was made in the film era before posting. Stupid.
And the folks that complain about the coatings on a 35+ year old lens.
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by docrwm Quote
ok, now i agree something needs to be done. a new member, with precisely 1 post, has rated the k45-125 as a 2. Seriously? That lens is about as sharp as a zoom has a right to be. As for ca and such, its a 30+ year old lens with coatings from that era. Geez.
qed
11-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
+1. A Histogram would provide the best type of info in nearly all the case, and it should be very easy to implement.

Thanks in advance to our PF Site adminstrator for that...

yeah I reckon it's a good idea, much more illustrative
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Same thing with the pricing. People try to cite the average prices in the reviews as the fair market value of the lens. When that average includes someone who found the lens at a pawnshop for $10.00 or talked a sweet little old lady out of her husbands photography collection for pennies on the dollar I don't think that should be included to indicate what the lens is worth.
I got my wonderful new F*300/4.5 for too cheap.
Might leave out the price when I review it, hate to hurt its value
11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #30

What if there was a way for the community to downgrade a review, based on the number of dislikes it receives? There should be something equivalent to the 'Was this helpful?' for the opposite, as a way to counteract any misleading reviews (e.g. those that look like they have received a bad copy which may skew the results).
Say if a particular review received 20 'dislikes', with the power more weighted towards those with Site Supporter and above getting an equivalent of 2 votes, whereas regular members only get the equivalent of 1 vote, then the scores and values can be discarded when calculating the averages.

The other suggestion is to remove scores from both the low and high end of the scale when calculating the averages, but this only works well when there is say at least 5 reviews for that lens.