Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The words Chappell and moderate in the same post
Just roll that sucker along the ground bro
Actually, I never knew Greg (or his brothers), just had the same cricket coach and same economics teacher. I was later than them - Tim May was at the school when I finished.

New Zealand is a nice place to visit, although you do not need the detail of the hospitality I received at a hospital when I became unwell somewhere over the middle of the Pacific. It did me good though.

12-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You have that backwards since most people would be impressed by pixel-sharpness at 100% views which is easier to achieve with lower pixel-pitch cameras like the K100D.

BTW, regarding "old", I'd venture a guess that 80% of K-5 users could do 80% of their shots with a K100D and not notice any loss of quality for the output formats they are using. I'm still using a K100D and only very rarely I wish I had the quicker AF or the better dynamic range of the K-5.
I cut my DSLR teeth on a trusty ol' K100D (still have it and use it, too, on occasion), so I understand your observation. But with all due respect to your opinion, I find its "glass performance" is no match to similar use on my K-20D, K-7 and K-5. In the spirit of full disclosure, my limited experience suggests that date of review is not adequate and a lens review that claims precision, yet fails to mention the mitigating factors of the reviewer's camera body configuration is potentially misleading.

Just sayin' and cheers...M
12-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I preferred Barbara Eden myself. Some rate the K-r a 10, others find its problems with tungsten and other issues detract from a 10. Ratings only really raise peoples blood pressure when their ox is the one gored. The refinement a few months back of adding subscale ratings has done a lot to improve the place. I do think that someone ought to be a member for a while, either time or # of posts, before they are allowed to rate equipment but that's just me.

In general I would agree that the length of time one has USED a piece of equipment is important when posting a review of it, but I can't agree that the length of time on the forum or number of posts is all that critical. I've been using Pentax cameras, lenses and flashes for 34 years now, is the amount of experience of less importance than the fact that I've just joined the forum and only have a handfull of posts?

As an engineer I am, by nature, inclined to be objective in a review. If the equipment does what the manufacturer says it will do in the spec sheets it gets a '5'. If it does something very well the rating goes up from there and if it doesn't it goes down. For instance, I used an ME Super for 25 yrs and was EXTREMELY happy with it. If I were to review it I would give it somewhere around a 7 because it did exceed what I thought I was buying and certainly lasted quite a long time. But, based on how I rate things with '5' as 'meets expectations' it still only gets a 7. Thats pretty low compared to the 8.9 that the forum camera reviews give it.

The same thing holds true for my K10. I'd give it a 7 as well. It performs the way Pentax advertised it: handling is exceptional, takes very good pictures when I do my part correctly, and the only complaint I have is I wish it had a higher top ISO because I prefer available light when indoors. But, when I was shooting film just before switching to digital, 1600 was pretty darn good so I factor that into my review (ie. don't complain and down-rate or up-rate) because of it.

I still have, and use, my K1000, 34 yrs after I bought it even though I have the MZ-S for film. It would get a 6 to 7 because it does exactly what I bought it to do, no more and no less. The extra points come from the fact it stil lworks the same after 34 yrs of being used.

I'm rambling now - so back to my point, the number of posts is not as important as time in hand a person has with the equipment.

Last edited by OldPentaxFan; 12-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.
12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
In general I would agree that the length of time one has USED a piece of equipment is important when posting a review of it, but I can't agree that the length of time on the forum or number of posts is all that critical. I've been using Pentax cameras, lenses and flashes for 34 years now, is the amount of experience of less importance than the fact that I've just joined the forum and only have a handfull of posts?

As an engineer I am, by nature, inclined to be objective in a review. If the equipment does what the manufacturer says it will do in the spec sheets it gets a '5'. If it does something very well the rating goes up from there and if it doesn't it goes down. For instance, I used an ME Super for 25 yrs and was EXTREMELY happy with it. If I were to review it I would give it somewhere around a 7 because it did exceed what I thought I was buying and certainly lasted quite a long time. But, based on how I rate things with '5' as 'meets expectations' it still only gets a 7. Thats pretty low compared to the 8.9 that the forum camera reviews give it.

The same thing holds true for my K10. I'd give it a 7 as well. It performs the way Pentax advertised it: handling is exceptional, takes very good pictures when I do my part correctly, and the only complaint I have is I wish it had a higher top ISO because I prefer available light when indoors. But, when I was shooting film just before switching to digital, 1600 was pretty darn good so I factor that into my review (ie. don't complain and down-rate or up-rate) because of it.

I still have, and use, my K1000, 34 yrs after I bought it even though I have the MZ-S for film. It would get a 6 to 7 because it does exactly what I bought it to do, no more and no less. The extra points come from the fact it stil lworks the same after 34 yrs of being used.

I'm rambling now - so back to my point, the number of posts is not as important as time in hand a person has with the equipment.
Respectfully disagree. There are far too many drive-by reviews and there is no way to know if the person has any actual history using the equipment. Self-report is about as accurate as judging degrees of arc by eye.

12-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Reviews could be limited to posters with long Pentax history, latest equipment, technical background, detailed tests, longtime forum membership. They could all be done by Ricehigh.
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Reviews could be limited to posters with long Pentax history, latest equipment, technical background, detailed tests, longtime forum membership. They could all be done by Ricehigh.
Or not, and we could set some realistic minimums to assure that the person is not doing a drive-by review to trash something.
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Or not, and we could set some realistic minimums to assure that the person is not doing a drive-by review to trash something.
There are some reviews done by people that have only made a few posts. I recall a case with only 1 post and the post count went up <10 after he posted when criticized about the review.
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Yet another case where assessment must be made qualitatively rather than quantitatively - if you trust only people who post a lot then ignore the others. I see no likely correlation between number of posts and experience, I can assess experience while reading the review itself.

12-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yet another case where assessment must be made qualitatively rather than quantitatively - if you trust only people who post a lot then ignore the others. I see no likely correlation between number of posts and experience, I can assess experience while reading the review itself.
No one said "a lot" that I know of - merely that they ought to be active members here for some other reason than to write a trash review of a lens and never be seen again. There are a few high number posters here that I have on my ignore list - the shear number of posts is not related to quality, however very few posts that I see here that are first posts are particularly useful or insightful either. As for experience, anyone can claim anything they want - this is the internet after all - but at least with a few posts we know that they are actually here to participate beyond a single trash post.
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Of course, if you think deeper on it, if a lens has only 1 review giving it a 3, obviously its either a rare lens or one people don't use for what should be obvious reasons.

A lack of reviews is as telling as a bad review in its own way.