Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How difficult is it to rate something on a scale of 1 o 10? Farah Fawcett used to be considered The Perfect 10 but not everyone agreed on that. However, there are currently 6 categories for rating plus an overall rating and it has been that way for a while. Some people have gone back and updated there ratings pre-dating that an some haven't. On the rating, it shows that 1 is poor and somewhere between 5 and 6 is good with 10 being excellent. I think if anything, half number increments would be something of an improvement. Otherwise, just dealing with the odd outliers like a person that gives a lens a 1 just because some one else gave it a 10.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I preferred Barbara Eden myself. Some rate the K-r a 10, others find its problems with tungsten and other issues detract from a 10. Ratings only really raise peoples blood pressure when their ox is the one gored. The refinement a few months back of adding subscale ratings has done a lot to improve the place. I do think that someone ought to be a member for a while, either time or # of posts, before they are allowed to rate equipment but that's just me.

12-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I preferred Barbara Eden myself.
This thread is starting to take an interesting turn.
12-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like to read the various write-ups, but don't pay too much attention to the numbers (after all... what's a 2 when no two 2s are the same even from the same reviewer?). It's easy to identify clunker reviews and goofy reviewers. Instead of getting too wrapped up in review standardization, perhaps it might be helpful to ask the reviewer to identify which camera they used. I can imagine a particular lens paired to an old K100 might not get the same respect as it would, if paired to a more modern model that demands better glass like today's K5 IIs, or even more demanding, the Q.

...my two cents...M
12-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I can imagine a particular lens paired to an old K100 might not get the same respect as it would, if paired to a more modern model that demands better glass like today's K5 IIs, or even more demanding, the Q.
You have that backwards since most people would be impressed by pixel-sharpness at 100% views which is easier to achieve with lower pixel-pitch cameras like the K100D.

BTW, regarding "old", I'd venture a guess that 80% of K-5 users could do 80% of their shots with a K100D and not notice any loss of quality for the output formats they are using. I'm still using a K100D and only very rarely I wish I had the quicker AF or the better dynamic range of the K-5.

12-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You have that backwards since most people would be impressed by pixel-sharpness at 100% views which is easier to achieve with lower pixel-pitch cameras like the K100D.

BTW, regarding "old", I'd venture a guess that 80% of K-5 users could do 80% of their shots with a K100D and not notice any loss of quality for the output formats they are using. I'm still using a K100D and only very rarely I wish I had the quicker AF or the better dynamic range of the K-5.
I just upgraded from a K100D to a K-5, but I really didn't do it for image quality alone and I'm still keeping the K100D around. I'm still learning the character of the K-5 right now, so I could probably still do better with my K100D than I can with the K-5 in some circumstances.
12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As others have pointed out, inflated ratings are a problem as well.

If there is to be anything else but a straight average -- a distribution being the ideal -- I suggest a weighted mean, for instance, the average of all ratings without the bottom and top 2.5% ratings.
I want a graph Mate...with colours and special stars !
Can the whole database cross reference ?
That would be neat
Pete

...in a country that never has Pentax sales
12-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...... I'm still using a K100D and only very rarely I wish I had the quicker AF or the better dynamic range of the K-5.
but don't you also long for an iso button, iso over 800, AF tuning, more pixies or a prism ?
Pentax should advance FF plans and put you out of yer misery

12-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #68
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
but don't you also long for an iso button, iso over 800, AF tuning, more pixies or a prism ?
Don't forget ISO under 200 too.
12-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a long list elliott, I didn't want to put the boot in too much,
he is a fellow Kiwi after all
12-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Pentax should advance FF plans and put you out of yer misery
Amen to that!
12-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #71
Site Supporter

It's a long list elliott, I didn't want to put the boot in too much,
he is a fellow Kiwi after all
We would hate to have to bring in an Aussie to moderate things. (just kidding)
12-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
We would hate to have to bring in an Aussie to moderate things. (just kidding)
I had the same cricket coach as Greg Chappell when I went to school. The economics teacher once said to Greg: "If you do not give up cricket and do more study you will never get anywhere in life." Cricket coach did not do me as much good. My last game was on 30/11/74.

I cold moderate for you Kiwi's. Going to Auckland on thursday this week.
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Last thing we need is you blokes rummaging around over here
Perhaps you could intercede with a FF appeal to Pentax instead
12-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #74
Veteran Member

You have that backwards since most people would be impressed by pixel-sharpness at 100% views which is easier to achieve with lower pixel-pitch cameras like the K100D. BTW, regarding "old", I'd venture a guess that 80% of K-5 users could do 80% of their shots with a K100D and not notice any loss of quality for the output formats they are using. I'm still using a K100D and only very rarely I wish I had the quicker AF or the better dynamic range of the K-5.
Great wisdom, Class A! Or, at least it would seem to me to be as such, since I've only my trusty K100dS and nothing else relevant to compare to it. AF speed, low light ISO, and higher DR are the primary reasons for me to upgrade, and not more MP. 6 MP, believe it or not, IS enough. Image quality is always important. Analagously, a few years ago, when I was looking in detail at HDTV's, IQ was dependent on, predominantly, contrast levels, color saturation, color accuracy, and, fourth on the list, was resolution. I was happy to know that for HDTV's, they knew what was important, and in what order. I've not heard any such ordering for IQ from DSLR's. I agree with Rockwell - you just don't need that many MP's. The thing I fear about upgrading (and I will, soon) is that I'll spend a lot of money and then find that I'll have mostly just larger files, but not necessarily better ones, for about 80% of the time. My $0.02.
12-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I had the same cricket coach as Greg Chappell when I went to school. The economics teacher once said to Greg: "If you do not give up cricket and do more study you will never get anywhere in life." Cricket coach did not do me as much good. My last game was on 30/11/74.

I cold moderate for you Kiwi's. Going to Auckland on thursday this week.
The words Chappell and moderate in the same post
Just roll that sucker along the ground bro