Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Hi Earl great to meet another fellow Vancouverite here! Interesting suggestion, so you've checked out all the pawn shops then here in Vancouver I'll have to check out the Gastown Photo shop you're talking about. Have you purchased a bit on Craigslist then? What camera do you have?
Haha I haven't checked the pawn shops, only the second hand stores (Value Village, Salvation Army). I did check a pawn shop today in New West, but they had mostly junk.

My camera is the K30 (blue!). Bought it nearly two months ago from Broadway Camera with the DAL 18-55. At the time they didn't offer the blue K30 with the 18-135 (only the black), and the color was more important to me than the lens so I got the blue version.

I have done quite a bit of Craigslist hunting, and one local deal from another Vancouverite through the Pentax Forums. My experience with Craigslist taught me much about what to look for when buying a second hand lens. One of the lenses I bought stopped working a couple of days after I got it, but it was only $60 so I consider it a lesson learned. I then decided to try and fix it myself, and learned another lesson about how complicated autofocus lenses are to assemble. I did get a really nice lens for cheap: F 50 1.7 <-- Got it from Maple Ridge. story! Also got a tripod through Craigslist.

All of the best lenses and gear comes out of Richmond, usually DA, DA*, and Sigma lenses from some person with deep pockets who bought a bunch of lenses, then a few months down the road decided that photography wasn't for them so they're just looking to recoup as much $$$ as they can. Hard to haggle with though. Most of the crap comes out of East Vancouver (M 50 2 $40 FIRM PRICE NO LOWBALL durrr).

One last thing, since I am still going through what you are about to go through zooms are fun, but the first time you try a fast prime your eyes will POP! When I got the F50 1.7 I started taking pictures in a dimly lit parking lot. When I saw how bright the photos were, I just started laughing like a crazy man since it blew my mind. The F50 has not left my camera at all since I got it. Get a fast prime!

11-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Haha I haven't checked the pawn shops, only the second hand stores (Value Village, Salvation Army). I did check a pawn shop today in New West, but they had mostly junk.

My camera is the K30 (blue!). Bought it nearly two months ago from Broadway Camera with the DAL 18-55. At the time they didn't offer the blue K30 with the 18-135 (only the black), and the color was more important to me than the lens so I got the blue version.

I have done quite a bit of Craigslist hunting, and one local deal from another Vancouverite through the Pentax Forums. My experience with Craigslist taught me much about what to look for when buying a second hand lens. One of the lenses I bought stopped working a couple of days after I got it, but it was only $60 so I consider it a lesson learned. I then decided to try and fix it myself, and learned another lesson about how complicated autofocus lenses are to assemble. I did get a really nice lens for cheap: F 50 1.7 <-- Got it from Maple Ridge. story! Also got a tripod through Craigslist.

All of the best lenses and gear comes out of Richmond, usually DA, DA*, and Sigma lenses from some person with deep pockets who bought a bunch of lenses, then a few months down the road decided that photography wasn't for them so they're just looking to recoup as much $$$ as they can. Hard to haggle with though. Most of the crap comes out of East Vancouver (M 50 2 $40 FIRM PRICE NO LOWBALL durrr).

One last thing, since I am still going through what you are about to go through zooms are fun, but the first time you try a fast prime your eyes will POP! When I got the F50 1.7 I started taking pictures in a dimly lit parking lot. When I saw how bright the photos were, I just started laughing like a crazy man since it blew my mind. The F50 has not left my camera at all since I got it. Get a fast prime!
Thanks Earl. Yeah I'm a CL hunter as well and even though I'm a little leary about buying used lenses from there, like you say, you can find the occasional deal. Once I get my K-5 I'll be shooting with the 18-135 and go to a store and check out a prime lens to see
11-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #18

LOL - You beat me by minutes on that 50mm f1.7, I called him two minutes after you did... great buy!
11-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
LOL - You beat me by minutes on that 50mm f1.7, I called him two minutes after you did... great buy!
Wow! I've wondered how many Vancouverites there are on these forums. Seems like there's a sizeable number. Maybe enough for a local meetup one day?

11-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Neil - what Pentax do you have and have you any hints on what to look for or what lenses you like?
11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! I've wondered how many Vancouverites there are on these forums. Seems like there's a sizeable number. Maybe enough for a local meetup one day?
Definitely Earl - a meetup sometime would be good. I actually joined a couple of Vancouver photography meetup clubs on meetup.com
11-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning Richard,

Here are a few more ideas.
  • Lenses from CL and PawnShops - Rico here is famous for his hamburger lenses (as in - if it costs less than a hamburger) and here is one of his posts.
  • Groups- Check the list to see if there is a group for the Vancouver area. If not - start one....
  • Night Shooting - For this, I would suggest a tripod and a wired shutter release. The Vancouver area has a lot of opportunities, and you really don't need a fast lens. Mount the camera on a tripod (or a bag of rice), set the ISO to something low (80, 100, 200), dial in an moderate aperture with a good f stop with a good depth of field (f8), then start out at 10 seconds and adjusts from there based on what you see on the rear screen. Up there you have the bay, the bridges, the city lights, great vantage points, etc.
  • Bracketing - or referred to as HDR - high dynamic range or tone mapping. You do this by bracketing the shot with several frames - i.e., you take 3 to 5 shots (usually on a tripod) and then combine them together using software. Note, you can use the software on just a single frame too. One of the better and easiest to use packages is Oloeno.
  • Software - There is a lot of software out there, a lot of it specializes in one aspect, and you can find yourself going through a lot of packages - note free trials as in try before you buy. Also, what you might find and like initially, you might grow out of later. Lightroom 4 is a good one, that does a lot of things very well.
Well, that's it for now - I got my drink of water and am going back to bed....

11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #23

Yes, there are lots of Pentax users around the Lower Mainland... I am not into the whole meetup thing but I know there are Pentax meetups already locally, ask Jack at Gastown Photo.
11-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #24

Hi Neil - what Pentax do you have and have you any hints on what to look for or what lenses you like?
Hi Richard -

My current Pentax body of choice is the K-5 IIs. I can't be much help sorry as I just buy new most of the time.

Zeiss ZK lenses are fantastic, as are some of the Limited FA's from Pentax, those are primarily what I use with my Pentax system.

Good luck in your hunt and happy shooting!
11-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Morning Richard,

Here are a few more ideas.
  • Lenses from CL and PawnShops - Rico here is famous for his hamburger lenses (as in - if it costs less than a hamburger) and here is one of his posts.
  • Groups- Check the list to see if there is a group for the Vancouver area. If not - start one....
  • Night Shooting - For this, I would suggest a tripod and a wired shutter release. The Vancouver area has a lot of opportunities, and you really don't need a fast lens. Mount the camera on a tripod (or a bag of rice), set the ISO to something low (80, 100, 200), dial in an moderate aperture with a good f stop with a good depth of field (f8), then start out at 10 seconds and adjusts from there based on what you see on the rear screen. Up there you have the bay, the bridges, the city lights, great vantage points, etc.
  • Bracketing - or referred to as HDR - high dynamic range or tone mapping. You do this by bracketing the shot with several frames - i.e., you take 3 to 5 shots (usually on a tripod) and then combine them together using software. Note, you can use the software on just a single frame too. One of the better and easiest to use packages is Oloeno.
  • Software - There is a lot of software out there, a lot of it specializes in one aspect, and you can find yourself going through a lot of packages - note free trials as in try before you buy. Also, what you might find and like initially, you might grow out of later. Lightroom 4 is a good one, that does a lot of things very well.
Well, that's it for now - I got my drink of water and am going back to bed....

Interested observer thanks for those hints, I forgot about searching forums and thanks for the hints on night shots, I think my next purchase will be a tripod, good idea about the wired shutter release. For software I'm to using Picassa for its simplicity. I don't know if a lot of other people do but I'm not sure if I'm ready to try adobe photoshop or lightroom as that would be an even bigger investment in time currently and I'd rather be learning more about photo shooting instead
11-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Neil - thanks about Vancouver numbers, I guess I'll have to meet some of them then, I'm a social person

Can I ask you what made you choose the k-5 IIs, did you upgrade form a k-5 or another camera? I wasn't thinking about trying to buy lenses from you if I gave you that impression

Cheers

Hi Richard -

My current Pentax body of choice is the K-5 IIs. I can't be much help sorry as I just buy new most of the time.

Zeiss ZK lenses are fantastic, as are some of the Limited FA's from Pentax, those are primarily what I use with my Pentax system.

Good luck in your hunt and happy shooting!
11-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Two prime suggestions from my collection that are "lower cost" standouts ... a DA 35/2.4 and a SMC A 50/1.7 (or the M 50/1.7 as well : I prefer my A over the my M) J
11-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Two prime suggestions from my collection that are "lower cost" standouts ... a DA 35/2.4 and a SMC A 50/1.7 (or the M 50/1.7 as well : I prefer my A over the my M) J
Thanks Jean. I'll take a look at those as well. Cheers
11-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #29

Hi Neil - thanks about Vancouver numbers, I guess I'll have to meet some of them then, I'm a social person

Can I ask you what made you choose the k-5 IIs, did you upgrade form a k-5 or another camera? I wasn't thinking about trying to buy lenses from you if I gave you that impression

Cheers
Yes, I upgraded from the K-5 (and lots of other Pentax DSLRs since the *ist DS). The K-5 IIs just appealed to me and my love of detail.

I was just being sincere in wishing you good luck in finding some lenses...
11-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Neil - I'm sure I'll pick up either something old and manual and or get a new lense after I've played with the 18-135 I'm getting tomorrow.