Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Interested observer thanks for those hints, I forgot about searching forums and thanks for the hints on night shots, I think my next purchase will be a tripod, good idea about the wired shutter release. For software I'm to using Picassa for its simplicity. I don't know if a lot of other people do but I'm not sure if I'm ready to try adobe photoshop or lightroom as that would be an even bigger investment in time currently and I'd rather be learning more about photo shooting instead
Richard,
On better tripods you buy the tripod and head separately and there are lots of choices in material (alum vs carbon), height (stored, extended, legs only vs central column), how the central column works (striaght up or one that can do different angles), feet (rubber, spike, or convertable), how it can be carried, etc. Heads are even more diverse. When I started out I got a great deal on a Dolica Alum tripod with ball head that had a standard attachment so that later I was able to upgrade the head to a Manfrotto ball head (much stronger). Inital cost on that Alum tripod was $19, and I still use those legs, and the head moved over to my monopod (sometimes). As with many things inexpensive can mean its poorly made, but it does not have to mean that. The reviews here are a great source of guidance.

11-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Richard,
On better tripods you buy the tripod and head separately and there are lots of choices in material (alum vs carbon), height (stored, extended, legs only vs central column), how the central column works (striaght up or one that can do different angles), feet (rubber, spike, or convertable), how it can be carried, etc. Heads are even more diverse. When I started out I got a great deal on a Dolica Alum tripod with ball head that had a standard attachment so that later I was able to upgrade the head to a Manfrotto ball head (much stronger). Inital cost on that Alum tripod was $19, and I still use those legs, and the head moved over to my monopod (sometimes). As with many things inexpensive can mean its poorly made, but it does not have to mean that. The reviews here are a great source of guidance.
Thanks for the information on tripods Doc its good to know about the uses for the different pieces. I'm probably going to buy an aluminum one as its cheaper and I can afford to get more exercise when doing this hobby `
12-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information on tripods Doc its good to know about the uses for the different pieces. I'm probably going to buy an aluminum one as its cheaper and I can afford to get more exercise when doing this hobby `
Good starting point. Look for all metal as the one I have with plastic bits are onlybuseful as flash holder IMHO. You can spend hundreds, but take a look at the review section. I recommend the Dolica Alum but its gne up to around $40 since I got mine.
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i bought the Tamron 90 macro (lightly used from a forumite) and the aperture locked up after the very first use. Now it sits here a paperweight. I actually did send it to Tamron and though it is still on warranty, it is a non-transferrable one, and even though the aperture locking issue is widely documented as a design flaw, they still insisted on charging me for the repair, which i declined. Seriously, i don't recommend the lens.

12-01-2012, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and fairly new to photography as well coming from Vancouver, BC, but love my new hobby just like all of you

I'm looking for help as I just bought a new K-5 with the kits DA 18-135mm WR F3.5-5.6 lens so I'm looking to get your opinions on what other lenses I should get to set me up for a basic kit of taking macros, good all around lens on the camera most of time, and one particularly sharp lens for taking sharp, deep colourful photos.

I am open to manual lenses, non-Pentax as I'm trying to keep to a cheaper budget.

Any suggestions are all welcome.

Cheers,
Richard
i always recommend the Pentax SMC M-50/1.7 as a great all around super sharp lens for low light, landscape, and portraits. it also reverse mounts (with an adapter) for great macros on the cheap. If you like the superzoom, you've got a very wide range already covered. Otherwise if you want a wide zoom that is nice and wont break the bank, look at the DA16-45/4. I used to really like it.
welcome and good luck!
12-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i bought the Tamron 90 macro (lightly used from a forumite) and the aperture locked up after the very first use. Now it sits here a paperweight. I actually did send it to Tamron and though it is still on warranty, it is a non-transferrable one, and even though the aperture locking issue is widely documented as a design flaw, they still insisted on charging me for the repair, which i declined. Seriously, i don't recommend the lens.
Hi Mike - good to know sounds like it would be a new purchase then instead of trying to find a used on.
12-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i always recommend the Pentax SMC M-50/1.7 as a great all around super sharp lens for low light, landscape, and portraits. it also reverse mounts (with an adapter) for great macros on the cheap. If you like the superzoom, you've got a very wide range already covered. Otherwise if you want a wide zoom that is nice and wont break the bank, look at the DA16-45/4. I used to really like it.
welcome and good luck!
Thanks again Mike, so you like the SMC M-50/1.7 better than the Automatic version then?

12-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Thanks again Mike, so you like the SMC M-50/1.7 better than the Automatic version then?
I don't think (almost) anyone thinks there's any difference in the optics, except possible sample variation. It's the mechanical construction that make the Ms appealing to people. The old cameras and lenses did have a nice mechanical feel to them that the newer cameras and lenses just don't have. The A1.7 seems to be know for having a weak aperture ring lock that may break over time, but mine has been ok so far.

Paul
12-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I'm strictly a manual shooter, so an A version of this lens is useless to me, but if you need A, i assume it is pretty close to the same optics.
12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't think (almost) anyone thinks there's any difference in the optics, except possible sample variation. It's the mechanical construction that make the Ms appealing to people. The old cameras and lenses did have a nice mechanical feel to them that the newer cameras and lenses just don't have. The A1.7 seems to be know for having a weak aperture ring lock that may break over time, but mine has been ok so far.

Paul
Thanks Paul.