Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #1

Newbie Question on Lenses

Hello,
I am an amateur just learning to compose a photograph. I purchased a K-5 on the bay with the kit lens, and have begun classes in photography. I chose a Pentax because of the reputation of the camera(s) and because of the backwards compatibility for lenses. Since I got the K-5, I have been given some lenses that I believe are either duplicates or too specialized for me at this time. Would any of you fine folks kindly tell me which ones I should keep as good lenses to learn with and which ones I could part with that someone else would use?
Take it easy on the newbie. I decided to shoot in manual only, forcing myself to understand how to get the exposure correct for the shot. I can learn the power of the camera afterwards. This may be flawed thinking, but in my mind, understanding how the camera/exposure process works before learning what this fantastic camera can do is akin to learning the driving process before choosing a car.
Anyway, if you folks could let me know which lenses to keep that would give me the broadest range in which to learn, I would certainly appreciate some guidance.

SMC Pentax DA (Kit Lens) 18-55mm

SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm
SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 28mm
SMC Pentax-FA 1:4.7-5.8 100-300mm
SMC Pentax-F 1:3.5-4.5 28-80mm
Tonkina AF 1:3.5-4.5 20-65mm
Kiron 1:4 80-200mm f/4.5 Macro
Auto Chinon 1:1.9 50mm

Thank you!!

Planewood1

11-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the board! In order to get more exposure to your question, I am moving your post to the lens section.
11-28-2012, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Planewood1 and welcome,
If I were in your position I would keep:
QuoteOriginally posted by planewood1 Quote
SMC Pentax DA (Kit Lens) 18-55mm
SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm
SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 28mm
SMC Pentax-FA 1:4.7-5.8 100-300mm
1) to shoot in bad weather, 2) and 3) classic manual focus lenses, perfect for learning to use your camera, and 4) when you need reach, this zoom is pretty highly rated and small/light.
And I would get rid of
SMC Pentax-F 1:3.5-4.5 28-80mm
Tonkina AF 1:3.5-4.5 20-65mm
Kiron 1:4 80-200mm f/4.5 Macro
Auto Chinon 1:1.9 50mm
1) and 2) overlap in focal length your kit zoom. You might however:
- swap 3) for the Pentax FA 100-300 if you prefer manual focus and don't mind the extra weight.
- swap 4) for the other 50mm lens, they should yield very comparable results.
Most importantly: have fun trying all of them first!
11-28-2012, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #4

You are taking a good approach to learning your camera and very lucky to have gotten the lens collection.The a28 and fa 100-300 are your two best.the a50 I like very well and use a lot but others find fault with it.For now keep the whole collection for 6 months or so and let them sort themselves out selling the ones you don't use.If you like the idea of shooting outside in bad weather you might want to get a WR lens for your collection

11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I decided to shoot in manual only, forcing myself to understand how to get the exposure correct for the shot. I can learn the power of the camera afterwards.
Nice to hear you say that ;-)
Why don't you pick one of those lenses and shoot with it exclusively for a while--until shooting/focussing manually becomes reflexive? The A28 would be a good choice . . .
11-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Nice to hear you say that ;-)
Why don't you pick one of those lenses and shoot with it exclusively for a while--until shooting/focussing manually becomes reflexive? The A28 would be a good choice . . .
This is exactly what I have been doing .... ummm, somewhat!

1) I took the camera and FA zoom to my son's soccer first game (U17) this season and instantly became "volunteer" team photographer. I use this lens in auto to keep up with the action until manual focus/exposure setting becomes second nature. I have taken hundreds of shots for the team over the first 4 games. It's the only way to learn (shoot lots and lots of pics)!

2) I use the A28, A50, and kit lens for most other shots. I have learned to pick the correct exposures without looking at the lens.

3) I took a course from a retired photojournalist at my local high school. He photographed for the Philadelphia Inquirer for many, many years. Mostly in B/W, and all in film. Amazing eye for composition! He preaches full auto until you learn the camera. I decided the reverse is better: learn to expose, then learn the camera. I still have a lifetime of learning to go!

4) I have not yet used the last 4 lenses. I want to learn the others first. I think at this point I will pick one and use it exclusively, learning what it can't do, before switching lenses in an attempt to be creative.
11-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sounds very much like you're on the right track.