Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SigB Quote
ah, and could you say even that sigma 30mm 1.4 can be sharper than 50mm/1.4 at central focus point? Since that could make some difference to me. If not, I'd go for the 35 macro
Thanks again for helping!
I can't comment on the Sigma in that regard.

Edit: There is also the Sigma 35/1.4 coming out soon, but can's say anything about it other than it is expensive and might be inclined to go with the FA 31/1.8 LTD at that price range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898839-REG/Sigma_340109_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html

Last edited by Blue; 11-29-2012 at 05:42 PM.
11-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #32

Original Poster
Thanks you very much guys!
So I decided to post u finally my decision, to let you know and to thank you all for your opinion and shares. Indeed, the 35 f/2.8 macro from pentax is really one of the best I saw for very close ups at that focal length. I just love all the examples I saw here in this forum and elsewhere. I was at the beginning afraid it could be very slow not in macro mode and you told me it's instead doable with the quick shift setting (only for DA lenses). Its weight and its size would fit every bag and every photographer; moreover, since it's macro, it's very sharp edge to edge. And can fit the everyday use, shifting quick from macro to a wideish angle mode.

Despite all, I decided for the sigma 30mm 1.4.
I know: it's not pentax (and I chose the k-5 for the lenses it could have); it could have focusing problems (as notices from some users here in this forum which can be almost totally recovered by the fine focus tuning), and could be not as sharp as the 35 macro, especially at the border. Moreover, if focuses at most at 40cm far and it's quite heavy to carry.
Although, I decided for it since everytime I was having a look at its pics, I was amazed by the object separation, in how it shines and, well, I've to admit that, about the f/1.4 sharpness (I already have a 1.4 aperture in the 50mm, but better having two than none, right?). Somehow, it's not that far from the FA31mm. In addition, it has a quite fast AF.

I'm not saying that I won't regret the macro possibility offered by the 35 limited; though, maybe in the far future, a 100mm pentax or 90mm tamron will let me suffer less...

Thank you all for the support! This forum is really a must before or while doing anything with a pentax!
11-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
But "soulless" isn't. In Dorothy Parker's words,
it just means there's no "there" there.
Ok, now I see (not).
11-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, now I see (not).
To quote Jonathan Mac's recent review:

"The limited lens . . . can bring a magical and beautiful quality to photos while the 35/2.4 renders flat."

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

11-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I agree with that review, the 35/2.4 is a fantastic lens, good colour, super sharp and good rendering. But it's just... I dunno. I never really got the buzz I get from the DA* zooms. It's just not the DA 35 Macro :P

Congrats on choosing the Sigma, and have fun!