Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
40xs, paint a dof scale?

The time is coming where I see myself ending up with one, and I would love some trad markings on it so I had at least some vague idea of what would end up in focus... Has anyone bothered to paint some markings on? I imagine myself taking measurements with a lens and then marking on the xs the corosponding distances. A dof calculator would tell me where to put the f stop markings..

Is there any room on the xs to do as such tho? Its just the tiny inner barrel that moves I suppose?

11-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens is so small there really isn't going to be any room for you to paint anything. You could color-code the outer ring, but that's about it. Why not go for the 40mm limited instead?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Toy chest doesn't have that many spare coins

Thanks for the feedback Adam. I worried from looking at it its just to small.
11-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which camera? If it's not a K-x, K-r or K-01 why not use Optical Preview?

11-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed I thought after I had posted it lack of scale isn't really a massive hindrance at all. Call it habit that had me reach for the new thread button. I dont have any fancy pants auto focus lenses so I rely on pre focusing and working out what I can have in focus before I compose the shot. Automation does tend to dissolve the need for that scale check I suppose.. Well and the LCD screen. .
11-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA 40 Ltd doesn't have a scale on it either, just the focus distance markings. I really don't see how they could print a readable one on it. No room.