Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which other UWA?

So, as my next lens purchase I've been targeting the DA 15 ltd for quite some time now. (I've been hesitant to buy more Pentax gear because of the bleak outlook prior to September.) But are there any other options around that focal length that I should be considering?

Sharpness is a very important factor for me. I admit to pixelpeeping. An image that's to sharp (never saw one though) can be softened up in PP, but the other way round is much more difficult. This is why I'm not considering any zooms.

Size is of no issue, if the 14mm Pentax prime is sharper, I'd forget about the ltd and go for that one in stead. But the latter is renowed for it's sharpness, not the 14.

Any off-brand primes that are equally sharp, but wider? Or sharper?

11-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #2

Maybe this answers your question
Pentax 14mm F2.8 vs Rokinon 14mm F2.8 - Conclusion - PentaxForums.com
11-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
It does partly, thanks!!

So, the DA 15 ltd is both sharper and cheaper then the 14mm...

Any off-brand lenses with the same high resolution that are wider?
11-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Any off-brand primes that are equally sharp, but wider?
No hard data yet, but the recently announced Samyang 10/2.8 may be worth waiting for.

"The lens will be available at the end of 2012," according to
http://www.samyang.co.uk/news.html

11-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

It does partly, thanks!!

Before completely dismissing the DA 14/2.8, look through the "DA 14mm Club" thread and samples on the Pentax Photo Gallery. You can search by Pentax lens. You can also include a camera lens combo.

Edit: If you are open to a zoom, look into the DA 12-24mm.
11-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #6

[...]
Sharpness is a very important factor for me. I admit to pixelpeeping. An image that's to sharp (never saw one though) can be softened up in PP, but the other way round is much more difficult. This is why I'm not considering any zooms.
[...]
Actualy, I read on both photozone and dpreview that the DA 12-24mm is sharper than even the DA 15 ltd.
11-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The 12-24 is as sharp or sharper than the 15, but weaker to flare AFAIK
11-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Actualy, I read on both photozone and dpreview that the DA 12-24mm is sharper than even the DA 15 ltd.
If I remember right dpreview indicate that a while back when the 15 first came out. Others have put the 15 ahead. Regardless. I have the 12-24 and it is extremely good. That said, its peak resolution is at 18mm and then trails off a bit on the high end. When I received my 31Ltd, there was no comparison (of course). Then I remounted an old Contax Carl Zeiss 28/2.8 and it was again just as sharp as the 31Ltd. A new Zeiss 25/2.8 ZK found its way to me and it too is just as sharp as the 31Ltd. They all have a rendering character that is different but very appealing. The A 16-45 in the 16 - 24 range picks up where the 12-24 starts to drop off, however the primes still beat it at IQ, regardless of how good it is. It comes down to the prime vs zoom argument - and with fantastic primes, it looses by a nose. It is then a question of what - or how many lenses do you want to carry?

So what does all of that mean. The 12-24 is extremely good, the primes are better. The 12-24 is better than most zooms (my opinion), and some of my best images have been taken with it. I like it very much. That said, I still have not even looked at a prime under 20 because of the inherent distortion in this range. If I were, I would probably go with the 15Ltd because of IQ, size and rendering. I do like, actually is my preference - the 24 to 31 range because of the lack of distortion and lens quality coupled with the IQ across the lenses that I have. The 12-24 and the 8-16 are very good at what they do and full fill my needs in the UWA area.

It all comes down to personal preference....

11-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I cannot say enough good things about my Sigma 15 fisheye. Distortion yes - but faster, closer focus, FF ready and only a bit larger. Still all 10s when I last checked reviews here, including my own. I found mine a bit cheaper than da15s as well. All the great features like starpoints on the sun & minimal flare. A really fun lens.
11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the replies!

My opinion became extra-biased towards zooms when I had to return two copies of the Sigma 8-16. I tried two, and I was either very unlucky or I'm very picky. I found both to be soft beyond my nightmares.

That is the reason I haven't considered the DA 12 - 24 anymore. My mind is slowly changing though.

Maybe I should just buy the 15 and never look at images from the 12 - 24?
11-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

^good option
11-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Thanks everybody for the replies!

My opinion became extra-biased towards zooms when I had to return two copies of the Sigma 8-16. I tried two, and I was either very unlucky or I'm very picky. I found both to be soft beyond my nightmares.

That is the reason I haven't considered the DA 12 - 24 anymore. My mind is slowly changing though.

Maybe I should just buy the 15 and never look at images from the 12 - 24?
I have never been a true 'zoom' guy, but the Sigma zooms aren't the DA 12 -24. That said, I have a DA 15. If I went with a wide zoom, it would have been the DA but that is just my preference.
11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Do you need the lens now, or can you wait? Also, do you require autofocus?
Reason I ask is if you can wait and if you don't mind manual focus, maybe you should go for the Samyang 10mm. Samyang has an excellent reputation for sharpness. Also, I don't find 14 or 15mm wide enough on APS-C. 12mm on the DA 12-24mm lens is getting there, but the wider the better. Of course that is completely subjective.
11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Definitely the DA12-24, I have one and think it's an excellent lens...having said that I use my DA17-70 far more and think it's a highly underrated lens, it can produce some wonderful images

Simon
11-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It does partly, thanks!!

Not in good ol` Holland, Clavius. The DA15 is about 650, the 14 is 75 cheaper. Still a nobrainer if you have to choose.
FWIW: I have the DA14, it`s oke and resonably sharp as long as you stop down a bit. I like it`s flare-resistance and the fact that it`s F2.8 and wide, so it`s usable in lowlight conditions (nightshots, LE`s and occasionally aboard of ships with cramped enginerooms)