Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #31
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't see anywhere in the thread where "the staff" is down playing anything. I know that if I received an item as dcshooter described it, I would have contacted them about it immediately. It has been my experience with BH and Ador that they make things right. And to be clear, I don't have a working relationship with either. I am a paying customer like everyone else and have bought several items from both over the years and got a couple of good deals on Black Friday. I always try to vet new items immediately to make sure there were no QC issues etc. with them.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A lot of stores put stuff back on the shelf if it was returned and there was minimal to no wear. I'm sure B&H does the same, and I wouldn't be overly-concerned about it as long as you can clean everything off. If the scuffs are permanent, though, I'd definitely ask to get the item exchanged.
You might have missed that post..

12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You might have missed that post..
I saw the post. Furthermore, you used the term "staff" and not site administrator. Either way, I didn't see Adam's post as down playing given his response in post #9. But I guess you didn't see that post.. Plus, there were posts later that added to the discussion including the part about the shrink wrap comments which are moot given Pentax lens, camera, and accy boxes aren't generally shrink wrapped from the factory (posts 3 and 9).
12-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
Site Supporter

For those in this thread interested, you may watch this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/207058-what-happens-returne...ml#post2189085
12-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #34
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I posted on this subject before. I bought a 'new' K5 from Adorama earlier this year. Everything looked new and I did not detect that the box had been opened, though I did not look super close. When turning on the camera, I noticed the time and the time zone had been set. I was told that Adorama inspects all returns and if looks new, they will restock (ie to sell as new again).

BH return policy is clear that you have a 30 day return policy. One can return for any reason if unsatisfied. It should go without saying that to know if one is satisfied, S/he must first try out the product, which by definition makes it a used/demo item. Furthermore, there are exact limitations to which an item can be used prior to return to avoid a 15% restocking fee. For example, cameras must have less than 200 shutter counts. Adorama has a similar policy. In fact, I was told that if I was unhappy (about it being less than new/ used) I had 30 days to return it for a replacement.

12-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's news to me. Have you every seen any bodies up as refurbished?
I have seen refurbished Pentax K-5's for sale by ProDigital 2000 on ebay. I bought one this past spring. It had a spot on the sensor and exchanged it for a new one without a problem.
12-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dvest Quote
I have seen refurbished Pentax K-5's for sale by ProDigital 2000 on ebay. I bought one this past spring. It had a spot on the sensor and exchanged it for a new one without a problem.
Both instances mentioned are ProDigital 2000 which is, correct me if I am wrong, a Canadian company. Pentax has a different distributor for Canada. Still wondering what happens to the US cameras and lenses.
12-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #37

Photos: Albums
Adam and others, are 100% correct. Many, perhaps all retailers will look at returns and if there isn't something physically or mechanically wrong with it, resend it out as new. And as has been said, nearly all (B&H is included) will replace it no questions asked and without hassle. I've seen and experienced this in more areas than just camera equipment, including die cast car models, hand and power tools, etc.

Sometimes, if an item is pristine, I suspect it is intentional. In other cases where the item is less than like new, I suspect either a case of a company trying to get rid of it, or a mistake on the part of an employee. But so long as the company is willing to make good on the item, without additional cost to the buyer, I see no problem.
12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #38
Site Supporter

I will chime in again since it just occurred to me that I have returned stuff to B&H that I had purchased new, but was not satisfied with on receipt. It is my practice to CAREFULLY unbox anything that I purchase new. Why? Well, to be honest, it is so that the dealer can easily restock the item to sell as new should I choose to return it!

Why should B&H take a hit just because I did not properly do my market research?

Mind you, it would be my preference that such an item be sold on the sales floor as "open box", but then again there is a strong case for selling "new" as "new". After all, how many times have any of us opened a box (say a tripod head) at a local brick-and-mortar camera shop just to see what accessories were included? Would we expect the dealer to immediately mark that item down as used?

Steve

12-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I just returned a Q 02 kit to Target, long story. They looked it over, saw everything was there, commented on how pristine it was and promptly marked it with a BIG RED tag at 75% of the original price and put it in the sale/returns section of the camera area. There was NO way anyone could have been able to tell it had been sold once. But Target did mark it and deal with it as a used item. After reading this thread I was a bit impressed.
12-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I just returned a Q 02 kit to Target, long story. They looked it over, saw everything was there, commented on how pristine it was and promptly marked it with a BIG RED tag at 75% of the original price and put it in the sale/returns section of the camera area. There was NO way anyone could have been able to tell it had been sold once. But Target did mark it and deal with it as a used item. After reading this thread I was a bit impressed.
That's when you get a friend to come in and buy it for you.
12-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

How about we just wait and see what happens once dcshooter contacts B&H and they give him an answer?
12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Has anyone else who bought from B+H detected any similar signs of use?
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Always remember that the little guy back in shipping who possibly made a mistake and was just hired a week ago to help with the seasonal crush does not represent B&H's sales policies .
B&H must receive many returns on a daily basis. On this forum alone, you can often read about people ordering an item "just to try it" and then sending it back. Pentax has also stated that they are not selling all camera colour options in the USA because US customers are much more light hearted about changing their mind of how much they like an item, compared to Japanese customers.

However, B&H's "open box" category rarely features anything substantial. Go figure.

Must be a lot of "mistakes" happening.

As for B&H's response, it surely will be an apology, pointing to human error. I'm sure they will put the case right, but AFAIC, these things should not happen in the first place.

I guess there are too many people who do not care about the status of the items they receive, as long as they appear to work normally. If everyone caused a fuss, it would be cheaper to check boxes before sending them out, instead of dealing with returns and paying for shipping.
12-03-2012, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A lot of stores put stuff back on the shelf if it was returned and there was minimal to no wear. I'm sure B&H does the same, and I wouldn't be overly-concerned about it as long as you can clean everything off. If the scuffs are permanent, though, I'd definitely ask to get the item exchanged.
Outrageous, I want new if I pay for new.
I don't want an item someone else has has their greasy mitts on.
I prefer NZ where when you buy something, it is yours, not some kind of trial.
New means new.
12-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
Amazing how many times I get to answer the same question. If an item's defective it's returned to the source from which we got it. If a customer buys something, opens the box, says, "Wrong color, I made a bad choice," it's usually restocked. That said, each situation is individual and this is really an oversimplification.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/207058-what-happens-returned-pentax-items.html
12-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desmoface Quote
Earlier this year i purchased a set of headphones, advertised as new, from b & h, they clearly weren't new, the box had clearly been opened before and one of the drivers was installed upside down. In their defense, the return process was excellent.

Steve
and back on the shelf they went .....