Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax da 40 silver or black

Just trying to get some feedback here....would you guys get the silver da 40 or black ones?

http://www2.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Pentax-Lenses-c427.htm

Prices seem to be resonantly cheap at $315 or so....although I have not purchased from top buy before....

Thanks

11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black is good but silver is cool!
11-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Nothing for nothing, but personally I would get black, just because the "step-down ring" hood of the DA40 takes up so much of the front. In silver, it is a little too obvious. In black, it kind of blends in with the rest of the lens.

Well, I also bought a black K-01 for similar reasons and to match all my other lenses, so I am probably just a dud. My wife liked the yellow K-01, but she said that if I was going to carry it around, I would need to wear more fashionable clothes.
11-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Everyone knows the silver ones are better, makes girls look slimmer so they happily pose for you.

11-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Aren't the silver ones long gone? Go for black regardless

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Just trying to get some feedback here....would you guys get the silver da 40 or black ones?

Pentax Lenses

Prices seem to be resonantly cheap at $315 or so....although I have not purchased from top buy before....

Thanks
The silver is cheaper than the black! That does not make sense.

I would go for Silver to differ...
11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Most of their other prices seem kind of high. I'd wonder if you're not going to end up with an XS, that's what happened to me the last time I thought I was getting a DA Ltd. for cheap. Got my money back in the end, but what a hassle.
11-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes I thought silver da 40 is not even on sale at bhp....so I m quite surprised that top buy say this is in stock.

I wonder of this site is legit....but they seem to have sold a lot of stuff in the past.....

I might get the black one....maybe the silver....it is so tough to decide!

11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

yes I thought silver da 40 is not even on sale at bhp....so I m quite surprised that top buy say this is in stock.
They made a limited production run of 1000 pieces in late 2011, 300 of which were sold in the US, I believe.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter

They are showing just about every DA and FA ltd that was released in silver. 21, 31, 40, 43, 70 & 77.
11-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

I wonder of this site is legit....but they seem to have sold a lot of stuff in the past.....

I might get the black one....maybe the silver....it is so tough to decide!
Raider,
The legitimity of the sale is 'up in the air'. I could not find any details and this stopped me from jumping on the FA77 Silver. It looks like some grey import... I would check with CRK to know if CRK will honour the warranty!?
11-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam for that info on the production run of DA40 silver.

@hcc..I don't think CRK will honour this as it is clearly a grey import but the price is so good. Digidirect is selling this at A$440.

I might give it a miss from top buy....

Cheers
raider
11-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Most of their other prices seem kind of high. I'd wonder if you're not going to end up with an XS, that's what happened to me the last time I thought I was getting a DA Ltd. for cheap. Got my money back in the end, but what a hassle.
Most likely won't consider the DA40 XS. I like to have a consistent filter size for the pancake lenses. 49mm is a good size.
12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter

you don't look AT the lens, you look THROUGH it, silly. black, silver? whatever.
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
you don't look AT the lens, you look THROUGH it, silly. black, silver? whatever.
It is kind of like with "hot rods," chrome won't get you home but you look good pushing it.