Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One might also consider that the photo might have been taken with a medium format camera (either film or digital) using a normal lens.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-02-2012 at 10:25 AM.
12-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #17

There may have been some fill-in flash as well, there is a lot of detail in the shadows that would be hard to get under direct sunlight.
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter

That's a good observation. I would guess a reflector rather than fill flash, more effective in bright sun.

Various opinions on the focal length, but respectfully, I'm sticking to my wide angle interpretation. The perspective of the kids is exaggerated rather than flattened, if you look at the boy's knees on the right. And for the whole pier to fit in the background on a telephoto lens, it would have to be very far away, which does not seem to be the case if you look at the shoreline. Also, there appears to be some perspective distortion on the far right side of the pier, where everything is leaning to the upper right corner. I can't imagine the pier and railings are all leaning normally this way.

Totally agree with user @Clinton 's comments about the somewhat harsh bokeh. I have a relatively cheap Sigma 28-300 mm "Hyperzoom" which produces bokeh like this. This can be fun sometimes. As far as I can recall, all of my Pentax prime lenses produce much smoother bokeh. So, likely not to be a particularly special lens.

Yeah, would be great to see the EXIF data to settle this. :-)
12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #19

My best guess would be a focal around 40mm-43mm basing on the perspective.
Mid day sun in the beach... ND filter basing on the darker shade of the horizon upper right corner
Mostly all in focus... f11 basing on the dof, sharpness and the need to close down the aperture due to blazing hot mid day sun...
Most probably a zoom basing on the subject (kids) and location... vacation with kids? best option is zoom
Brand? no idea but if you're the one who took this shot then it must be pentax... basing on the sharpness (corner) and location (beach) this should be a WR.
How about 18-135 at 40-45mm? (crossing my fingers)

12-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
There may have been some fill-in flash as well, there is a lot of detail in the shadows that would be hard to get under direct sunlight.
I don't think that it is fill-in flash; think it is mostly a reflection from the sand...
12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I'm sticking by my estimate of 30mm APSC. I see too little edge distortion for 16-18mm, the sand also doesn't show the stretching that would be relevant for that focal length, and finally, I think the kids would look distorted, with really long arms at those focal lengths.
Sorry, my bad... I meant it the other way... my favorite focal length is 24mm on APS-C which is actually 36mm on the FF. So, my estimate is around 36-40mm focal length.
12-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it looks like 28-35mm to me (APSC). I don't like the OOF rendering at all. probably a low end zoom. also, the highlights have been dragged down and have a greyish look which was to account for overexposure.
12-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Finally got the answer: Nikon D700 + Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Found the answer after a couple of calls to a resort in Mexico, the photographer said he used a Nikon D700 & Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 so that would be the equivalent of 36-105mm for us. Thanks again for all the feedback and analysis...there is a small chance that he didn't remember correctly of course.

On another note, I'm sure many of you could accomplish the same results using a variety of lenses from different distances.

Last edited by Hegemon; 12-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.
12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
this is funny...just got an alert re. the Sigma 24-70mm being on sale at Adorama for $699. I'm not planning on getting it but FYI
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote
Found the answer after a couple of calls to a resort in Mexico, the photographer said he used a Nikon D700 & Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 so that would be the equivalent of 36-105mm for us. Thanks again for all the feedback and analysis...there is a small chance that he didn't remember correctly of course.

On another note, I'm sure many of you could accomplish the same results using a variety of lenses from different distances.
This makes me feel a little smug considering the shot reminded me of my FA28-90.

No way that was shot at f/2.8 though - I bet it was stopped down well past f/8 somewhere due to the light unless there was a decent ND filter in play.
12-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #26

Hi All,

There were a lot of replies for this particular topic and somewhat interesting to guess FL's, apertures, etc... Had fun guessing and was even eager to know the answer...
How about we start something like a guessing game just like this one for fun???

Wanted to start this thing but don't know how to strip the details on the pics ...
12-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
yeah it would be fun and educational in the same time...also a small prize in the end would be cool.
12-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote

Did you find out what focal length the photo was taken at? and also aperture?
12-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Did you find out what focal length the photo was taken at? and also aperture?
Yup! Can you see the exif data from the original image?
12-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It looks 28mm-35mm on full frame to me.