Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

pentax warranty card?

I am sorry if this has been asked before. I just received the dfa 100mm macro from an online retailer and the box did not contain a warranty card. Is this normal for Pentax? (I am a pentax newbie). It had an instruction manual and a card with the serial number but that was it.

Thanks

02-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

If that card with the serial number is pink, I guess thats the warranty card.

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
I am sorry if this has been asked before. I just received the dfa 100mm macro from an online retailer and the box did not contain a warranty card. Is this normal for Pentax? (I am a pentax newbie). It had an instruction manual and a card with the serial number but that was it.

Thanks
02-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the only warranty card issued is an "International Warranty card" if purchased 'overseas'. Otherwise it is keep your purchase documentation.

I have just returned my DFA 100 with an auto focus issue.....right on the 12 months! So if you have any issues with the auto focus I would get it back pronto.

Cheers.
02-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alib99 Quote
If that card with the serial number is pink, I guess thats the warranty card.
Nope the card with the serial number is not pink. It also specifically says it is not the warranty card.

This lens came from one of the highly respected online retailers. Perhaps as GWP says there are no more cards?

02-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You really don't need a "card" or anything, just hold onto your reciept/proof-of-purchase/etc so you can "prove" you bought it (1)new and (2)within the warranty period. When I sent my K10D body in, I couldn't find the Cameta paperwork they sent with the body, so I just went to my Amazon account and printed out an invoice. Pentax was fine with that.
02-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have never sent any warranty card in for any of my camera purchases. There are two reasons for this,

first, contractually, at least in north america, filling out the warranty card is an absolute acceptance of the terms and conditions of the warranty. Many of these terms and conditions are much more restrictive than you can negotiate to get something fixed, should it fail just after expiry of the warranty.

second, if you fill out the warranty documentation, you cannot get an exchange by the retailer. Many will do so if something happens within the first 30-60 days, BUT they need absolutely clean documentation, including the warranty card.

With respect to the card being missing, this usually is the case where the lens is being sold in a country where it was NOT intended to be sold. The usual term for this is "grey market". Many low cost retailers are selling grey market products, not intended for sale where you bought it. there is no gauranteed warranty on grey market products.
02-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have never sent any warranty card in for any of my camera purchases. There are two reasons for this,

first, contractually, at least in north america, filling out the warranty card is an absolute acceptance of the terms and conditions of the warranty. Many of these terms and conditions are much more restrictive than you can negotiate to get something fixed, should it fail just after expiry of the warranty.

second, if you fill out the warranty documentation, you cannot get an exchange by the retailer. Many will do so if something happens within the first 30-60 days, BUT they need absolutely clean documentation, including the warranty card.

With respect to the card being missing, this usually is the case where the lens is being sold in a country where it was NOT intended to be sold. The usual term for this is "grey market". Many low cost retailers are selling grey market products, not intended for sale where you bought it. there is no gauranteed warranty on grey market products.
The gray market issue is why I was asking this. I purchased this from a large respected online retailer as a for USA product. Now I feel I may have received a grey market lens. Is there a method to tell, like using the serial number or something?
02-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The gray market issue is why I was asking this. I purchased this from a large respected online retailer as a for USA product. Now I feel I may have received a grey market lens. Is there a method to tell, like using the serial number or something?
you might ask pentax but I am not sure you want to know the answer.

Honestly, I would just go out and use the lens, and satisfy yourself that it is working correctly,

you shouold also copy or scan all the documentation ASAP. some store receipts are thermally printed and fade (turn black) over time. Make sure you have perminantly legible copies or scans, so you can back up any purchase claim, with respect to date of effectiveness of warranty//

02-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Mail-in warranty cards are out of favor these days. They were basically a marketing data collection vehicle anyway. If it makes you feel better, you can register your purchase at
Pentax Imaging - Home in the customer support section. Otherwise, keep your purchasing receipts to prove your date of purchase in case of any warranty claim.
02-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #10

Thanks
I am not sure baout the dfa 100mm, but my 40mm ltd also did not come with a warranty card. Neither did the K10D. My 43mm ltd did have a card in it, but it was one of those generic product registration card that pentax used to put in lens boxes sometime back. And I am pretty sure none of these are gray market items. One thing you can check is whether there is a sticker over the UPC code on the box. This usually signifies the US code (the one on the box is the international UPC code).
02-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Mail-in warranty cards are out of favor these days. They were basically a marketing data collection vehicle anyway.
The company I work for collects warranty cards on some items we sell. We never use the data for any other purpose but to document the purchase.

If you have several products registered with us, we are more like to do some freebies for you rather than the guy who has no history.
02-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well my box does have the sticker on the upc code.
I only asked this because I wanted to make sure I was not being deceived by the retailer (selling gray mkt as USA ver.) I am happy with the lens and will now put the matter to rest in my mind.
Thanks to all that replied.