Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #271
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Competitive pricing please

Until there is a brick and motar even remotely close to Atlanta I have no choice but to buy online using inflated pricing. I will gladly buy locally if you ever make it remotely possible for someone to carry your products. Two of my last three purchases have been at KEH buying used and I can drive to pick it up, since they're local to me. My third was at B&H and I was a little miffed at the cost, but I had to have it for work and I couldn't find a good used copy... I would always much rather purchase my lenses new if I can.

Just sell your equipment online or in a store at the same price. I'm not looking for the bargain of the century. I'm looking for you to stay in business and me to buy my equipment without feeling like I was just taken to the cleaners.

12-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #272

As a camera manufacturer, Pentax's strength is that they offer solidly built, durable cameras with competitive features at reasonable prices. For those looking for a plus-or-minus $1000 camera, Canikon simply cannot touch their value proposition.

So why is the same value proposition is not extended to lenses? With a few exceptions (such as the DA 35 and kits), amateurs on modest budgets like myself will never afford good Pentax glass at these prices.

Pentax could be the brand of choice for Weekend Warriors, but they need to do 2 things with their lens line first: 1) Make them more affordable and 2) Make them ALL weather resistant! The cameras are WR, why not the lenses?
12-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #273

Let the online stores charge what they like for Pentax lenses. If they don't make a profit, they won't sell them. With the super high prices, they sit on the stores shelves collecting dust. And that is costing retailers big bucks, tied up in inventory that won't move.

Pentax's wildly fluctuating lens prices is hurting both Pentax and the online retailers. No one will consider switching to Pentax when they don't know what lens prices will be.
12-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #274

Multiple Price Hikes

Let us not forget there have been multiple price hikes since I have purchased my k10d. One of the draws to Pentax at that time was the lower priced good quality lenses. This last hike further aggrivated already unhappy customers from the previous one.

The last two lenses I purchased were 3rd party.

12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #275

Photos: Gallery
We need cheaper lens. I bought my 50-135 used because I didn't know it was gonna be cheaper on black Friday. I would own more Pentax brand lens if it wasn't for the outrageous prices. I wanted the Pentax 16-50, but bought the tamron 17-50 instead cuz it was cheaper.
12-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #276
jpl

Agreed

Last two lens purchases were Tamron, holding off on K-30 purchase....what good is a great camera body if you can't afford the lenses to put on it?
12-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #277

Agreed. Simply put, the UPP policy precludes a large portion of Pentax users from buying Pentax lenses and enjoying the best of their camera's capabilities. It also drives sales down for Pentax, but that's their strategy concern...
12-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #278
gf1

count me in! I'm a Pentax fan due to partly of their reputation of great optics but I'm having to look into pentax second hand lenses.

12-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #279
Forum Member

I'm in. Its also getting much harder to find used lenses in good condition at a reasonable price. The lens system was the big draw for me going to Pentax. "The dare to be different" now just means paying 3 times the price. Affordable lens systems sell more cameras.
12-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #280

In. Better for novices to meet Pentax
12-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #281

I'm newly registered on the forum but have lurked here for great Pentax info for the last several months. I currently have a K-r and a K-7. The only Pentax lenses I have are the 18-55mm that came with the K-r and an old manual 35mm lens I picked up for a steal on ebay.
I would love to see Pentax lower their lens prices! It would be great to be able to purchase the weather-sealed lenses for the K-7 at reasonable prices (what's the point of a weather sealed camera, if your lenses aren't?).
12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter

The nearest B&M store that might have Pentax lenses is over four hours away. As much as I want to support the brand (and shoot DA*s or Ltds), I can't afford UPP prices.

DA lenses bought by me prior to UPP: 2
After UPP: 0
Black Friday sales: 2

Anything else was bought used, or 3rd party, or in a discounted K-01 kit.
12-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #283
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree. I won't buy a new Pentax lens with the current pricing.
12-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #284
Veteran Member

Last purchase was a Sigma - which was "unusual" given that the 5 before that were all Pentax. Don't see another Pentax in the future at these prices!
12-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #285

Pentax I would be more than happy to purchase a few of you lenes but at this point with the pricing the way it is I'll stick with Tamron and consider Rokinon manual focus lenses from now on. I just can't justify spending the kind of money you're company is asking for. Damn shame.