Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #316

Photos: Gallery
Count me in!

The unprecedented price increases in the UPP abruptly stopped my purchases of new Pentax glass and caused me to seriously consider switching brands to Cannikon. This after being loyal to Pentax since my 70's K-1000... 'nuff said!

12-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #317
WSG
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lower prices PLEASE

If Pentax does not lower the prices; I'll have no choice but to switch to another brand.
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #318

I'm in!! I really want to buy some Pentax lenses, but they cost significantly more than comparable Sigma lenses. Based upon the reviews that I have read, for the lenses that I am interested in, the Pentax lenses were not significantly better than the competition. The higher prices cannot be justified.
12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #319

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's time to put the online MSRP thing to an end. Back in April, through a "Unilateral Pricing Policy" (UPP), Pentax USA forced online retailers to start selling Pentax lenses at full MSRP rather than the then-lower MAP prices. Refer to the article below for an overview of the price jumps. Some lenses nearly doubled in price!

Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Since this change, online sales of Pentax lenses have virtually come to a standstill because of the high, artificially-inflated prices. I'm sure you guys can testify to that, especially if you opted to use the Marketplace or get Sigma lenses rather than new Pentax ones. Just because the DA* 16-50mm has an MSRP of $1500 doesn't mean that anyone in the right mind will buy a used copy at the new high price: in fact, used Pentax lens prices are generally lower than the old MAP prices.

All of a sudden, this Black Friday weekend, the UPP restriction was temporarily lifted, and Pentax lens prices fell sharply for a few days (but some were still higher than the old prices). Here's a little insight into what gear really started moving:

In just one day, well over 100 new Pentax lenses were sold to PF members alone. That's more that the total number sold to PF members after the introduction of the UPP but before Black Friday.

So what good is this UPP thing doing? None at all. When it originally came about, Ned Bunnell, former President of Pentax USA, blogged about the UPP, saying that the main goal of the policy was to protect smaller brick-and-mortar stores so that they don't have to compete with really low online prices. Well, that's great and all, but you can count on your fingers how many such stores there are. And the funny thing is that if you walk into any one of these stores, you'll see the old prices. The same applies if you call B&H or Adorama: you'll generally get the old prices as long as you mention it (and if you walk in to the store, there's no question about it) On top of all this, rumors have it the Pentax USA distributor requires retailers to place large orders, which causes smaller stores to lose interest in carrying the brand, given the tiny demand that there is for Pentax to begin with.

The UPP isn't going to change the fact that the largest audience for Pentax lenses is found online, because of the fact that Pentax users are few and far between. This means that the new policy has done nothing but prevented users otherwise interested in Pentax lenses from buying them.

Above: the Pentax DA* 50-135mm is the star of the UPP, jumping from $749 to $1599

I was on the phone with B&H again today, and after I mentioned the recent Adorama deals, their buyer agreed to drop the price of the 15mm limited to $539 when in cart. B&H said that if this deal ends up getting more copies of the lens sold, they will do their best to post similar deals in the future, even if Pentax doesn't get rid of the UPP. Lowering prices after adding to cart, without advertising them, is a gray area: Pentax can't really say that it's a violation of the UPP, but they certainly won't be happy about it. B&H admitted that it was nice to see some stock get cleared out during Black Friday, so hopefully they'll be giving Pentax stuff a little bit more attention from now on.

While I'm sure B&H will be the first to offer the best online Pentax lens prices, they alone won't be able to change the way things work, because Pentax lenses and cameras are dwarfed by all other DSLR brands.

Almost all other camera brands have unilateral pricing policies. The difference, however, is that in-store prices are the same as online prices, and that no lenses doubled in price from one day to the next. This keeps prices constant across the board and successfully protects the market, unlike the Pentax policy, which one might say was late to the game. So, Pentax, consider this a petition on behalf of our entire community asking you to rethink your online marketing strategy.

If the UPP has prevented or discouraged you from buying a Pentax lens, or even forced you to switch brands, and if you want prices to go back to normal, sign the petition by replying to this thread. Let's make this the biggest thread in the whole lens forum: hopefully it'll send a strong message!

And if you want, I can go on with more reasons for why the UPP is bad:
  • Competitors have similarly-priced full-frame glass
  • Sigma has cheaper lenses and also offers premium lenses
  • People will avoid new lenses in favor of cheap manual lenses
As much as I hate to do it, I'd like to ask that the replies be limited to members based in the US, or who regularly import Pentax lenses from US online retailers.
I support the petition.

12-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a boycot is a more effective means to force the manufacturer into price changes, market forces and such. If the US is a significant market, and Pentax or whomever sees sales fall off enough, then they will either adjust or just go out of business.
12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #321
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMotivations Quote
Maybe a boycot is a more effective means to force the manufacturer into price changes, market forces and such. If the US is a significant market, and Pentax or whomever sees sales fall off enough, then they will either adjust or just go out of business.
It sounds like they've boycotted themselves with the high prices by causing their lenses to gather dust at B&H and Adorama.
12-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #322

I've got nowhere that I know of in a 50 mile radius that sells new Pentax lenses, so it's much more convenient to buy them online. I did buy a 15mm at black Friday prices but otherwise I'd look at used lenses. If prices were lower online I'd be more inclined to look at Pentax lenses first when choosing a new lens.

12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #323
Veteran Member

When the prices dropped last week, I bought the DA* 55mm. Love it, but am not going to pay those artificially high prices (even though there are a few more lenses I'd LIKE to get)

12-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #324
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbroughal Quote
I've got nowhere that I know of in a 50 mile radius that sells new Pentax lenses, so it's much more convenient to buy them online. I did buy a 15mm at black Friday prices but otherwise I'd look at used lenses. If prices were lower online I'd be more inclined to look at Pentax lenses first when choosing a new lens.
As has been stated many times on this forum, online prices are regulated by Pentax but do not necessarily reflect the prices a vendor is will to sell a lens for if you call them.
12-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Add me to the list - I have my eye on one specific lens! I've actually bought some old Tamron Adaptall SP lenses since I can't afford the new Pentax pricing.
12-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #326
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's time to put the online MSRP thing to an end. Back in April, through a "Unilateral Pricing Policy" (UPP), Pentax USA forced online retailers to start selling Pentax lenses at full MSRP rather than the then-lower MAP prices. Refer to the article below for an overview of the price jumps. Some lenses nearly doubled in price!

Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Since this change, online sales of Pentax lenses have virtually come to a standstill because of the high, artificially-inflated prices. I'm sure you guys can testify to that, especially if you opted to use the Marketplace or get Sigma lenses rather than new Pentax ones. Just because the DA* 16-50mm has an MSRP of $1500 doesn't mean that anyone in the right mind will buy a used copy at the new high price: in fact, used Pentax lens prices are generally lower than the old MAP prices.

All of a sudden, this Black Friday weekend, the UPP restriction was temporarily lifted, and Pentax lens prices fell sharply for a few days (but some were still higher than the old prices). Here's a little insight into what gear really started moving:

In just one day, well over 100 new Pentax lenses were sold to PF members alone. That's more that the total number sold to PF members after the introduction of the UPP but before Black Friday.

So what good is this UPP thing doing? None at all. When it originally came about, Ned Bunnell, former President of Pentax USA, blogged about the UPP, saying that the main goal of the policy was to protect smaller brick-and-mortar stores so that they don't have to compete with really low online prices. Well, that's great and all, but you can count on your fingers how many such stores there are. And the funny thing is that if you walk into any one of these stores, you'll see the old prices. The same applies if you call B&H or Adorama: you'll generally get the old prices as long as you mention it (and if you walk in to the store, there's no question about it) On top of all this, rumors have it the Pentax USA distributor requires retailers to place large orders, which causes smaller stores to lose interest in carrying the brand, given the tiny demand that there is for Pentax to begin with.

The UPP isn't going to change the fact that the largest audience for Pentax lenses is found online, because of the fact that Pentax users are few and far between. This means that the new policy has done nothing but prevented users otherwise interested in Pentax lenses from buying them.

Above: the Pentax DA* 50-135mm is the star of the UPP, jumping from $749 to $1599

I was on the phone with B&H again today, and after I mentioned the recent Adorama deals, their buyer agreed to drop the price of the 15mm limited to $539 when in cart. B&H said that if this deal ends up getting more copies of the lens sold, they will do their best to post similar deals in the future, even if Pentax doesn't get rid of the UPP. Lowering prices after adding to cart, without advertising them, is a gray area: Pentax can't really say that it's a violation of the UPP, but they certainly won't be happy about it. B&H admitted that it was nice to see some stock get cleared out during Black Friday, so hopefully they'll be giving Pentax stuff a little bit more attention from now on.

While I'm sure B&H will be the first to offer the best online Pentax lens prices, they alone won't be able to change the way things work, because Pentax lenses and cameras are dwarfed by all other DSLR brands.

Almost all other camera brands have unilateral pricing policies. The difference, however, is that in-store prices are the same as online prices, and that no lenses doubled in price from one day to the next. This keeps prices constant across the board and successfully protects the market, unlike the Pentax policy, which one might say was late to the game. So, Pentax, consider this a petition on behalf of our entire community asking you to rethink your online marketing strategy.

If the UPP has prevented or discouraged you from buying a Pentax lens, or even forced you to switch brands, and if you want prices to go back to normal, sign the petition by replying to this thread. Let's make this the biggest thread in the whole lens forum: hopefully it'll send a strong message!

And if you want, I can go on with more reasons for why the UPP is bad:
  • Competitors have similarly-priced full-frame glass
  • Sigma has cheaper lenses and also offers premium lenses
  • People will avoid new lenses in favor of cheap manual lenses
As much as I hate to do it, I'd like to ask that the replies be limited to members based in the US, or who regularly import Pentax lenses from US online retailers.
Count me in.
12-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #327
Banned

I'd be in, mostly because I've called B&H and they don't offer the pricing on the phone. Others have complained about the same, as well. They simply go by the website and I think it's a crappy thing to do, almost like baiting and switching to get us to call.
12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #328
Pentaxian

Me too. I just this week bought another used Pentax lens, though I'd prefer to buy new... I'll be in the market again in about 6 months.
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #329
Forum Member

Count me in too. I have held off on buying Pentax lenses since the price increase, but did buy one during the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals when the prices finally became reasonable again.

As for protecting local stores, there are none near me, so I have to buy online or not at all. This policy just prevents me from upgrading - I don't like that, and Pentax doesn't get my money, so they shouldn't like this policy either!
12-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #330
Pentaxian

I support the petition: Haven't bought a new Pentax lens since getting a DA 70 for pre-increase prices on April 1.