Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #511
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hereby sign ... J

01-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #512

Photos: Albums
I switched to Pentax from Canon in 2012. I haven't bought a single new Pentax lens. I've bought Sigma new and Pentax used. If the prices stay were they are I will never buy a new Pentax lens.
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #513
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
I switched to Pentax from Canon in 2012. I haven't bought a single new Pentax lens. I've bought Sigma new and Pentax used. If the prices stay were they are I will never buy a new Pentax lens.
Same here, but I switched in 2011. If the prices stay where they are on Pentax lenses I will probably just go back home to Canon and give up my flirtation with Pentax cameras. I am happy otherwise with my Pentax equipment, but I will never have a full complement of weather proof lenses for my K-5 now that they have approximately doubled in price since I decided to buy into the Pentax family. I bought my last new Pentax lens the day before the online pricing change and I will never buy another new lens from them as long as the prices stay where they currently are. At least the new policy should help me get good prices for my lightly used DA* lenses when I am ready to leave.
01-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #514
Banned

All of my Pentax lenses were used, except the Tamron 17-50, which I bought in Europe instead of the US because the prices spiked of even Tamron and Sigma in the US after the new pentax pricing went into effect. I saved over $100 by buying in Germany and not only that, I got a 5 year guarantee from Tamron and they are local to me in Germany.

01-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #515
Veteran Member

Okay, I realize that there are tons of posts here, but why not just buy from Canada? Even with shipping to the U.S. you'll still get a whale of a deal on certain lenses. Check photoprice.ca for the best deals in Canada, contact a retailer, then decide for yourself. I guess the only negative is not having U.S. warranty, but a lot of Canadians purchased cheaper new Pentax items in the past and didn't worry about warranty if the savings were good enough. This is how Canadians send a message to our often over-priced Canadian retailers of other items, so maybe it will do the same to U.S. camera retailers!

Last edited by Bramela; 01-03-2013 at 12:00 PM.
01-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #516

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Okay, I realize that there are tons of posts here, but why not just buy from Canada?
This is what I did right after the price hike. My DA 70mm, $500. My DA 35mm Macro, $480. All brand new with warranty. Unfortunately, even Canadian prices seem rather high now. You can still find the DA 70mm for $500 rather easily, but I haven't seen a reasonable price for the DA 35mm or the DA 15mm (which I want!!!!).
01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #517

I'm in. I can't justify purchasing a DA 50mm f/1.8 so long at it's at $249. Nothing I've read about it suggests that it is worth twice what I'd pay for a metal-mount, fully-marked Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (currently $135 at Adorama). Lest anyone think me a total cheapskate, I plunked down $700+ for my Pentax DA 10-17 fisheye in 2009, because it offered features and quality unmatched by any other vendor. But can anyone really tell me the DA 50mm f/1.8 is unmatched by Canon or Nikon's offerings?

Pentax can reduce this gap by either releasing more affordable models (perhaps even going back to FA lines) or by allowing prices to fall on some of the entry-level gear.

I understand economies of scale, R&D costs, the role played by MSRP in "signalling" value or prestige, etc. But Pentax already has the DA* line of premium lenses for this signalling. I love the Q line and I laud the low prices and low expectations of the "toy" lenses there; I'd like to see some of that thinking trickle up into the DA line. Students (and schools) and people on budgets simply can't take the plunge into an $800 K30 and a $250 fast 50mm when $1050 would get them a camera and several basic lenses from Canon, Nikon, or even Sony.
01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #518

Pentax Pricing

Both my daughter-in-law and sister-in-law bought Canon this Christmas is spite of my best efforts to get them to consider Pentax. It was not just pricing, none of the retailers in the Denver area had a Pentax camera or lens to even look at.

I have three Pentax lenses, all purchased used. The most expensive being a DA 55-300mm. The other two are "A" series manual focus.

01-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #519
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlc1967 Quote
... none of the retailers in the Denver area had a Pentax camera or lens to even look at.
I still get so surprised to read things like this! I always think of the U.S. as the place to find everything we don't have up here in Ca-ni-duh, yet up here I can go to practically every camera retailer and find at least some Pentax DSLR equipment. Again, very surprising!! Your jaw would probably fall out if you visited Calgary, for example - a city still smaller than Denver - and saw The Camera Store or Saneal Cameras! Not to mention the retailers in eastern Canada and on the West Coast.

Anyhow, to me this speaks volumes about how lousy and inept Pentax USA must be at marketing their products in comparison - at least, that's my theory. No wonder they can justify price gouging, given the lack of supply.
01-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #520
Pentaxian

Devil's advocate question:

Can Pentax USA sell more high-end lenses in the frenzy of a weekend sale
than they would normally move in a year of sane prices?
01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #521
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

Not a chance. Zero, zilch, zip, nada, rien.

As the previous poster said: inept.
01-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #522
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Not a chance. Zero, zilch, zip, nada, rien.
Data?
01-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #523
Banned

What for? Blowout at a loss, or barely above cost, in order to make it back (and thensome) on those 400USD/400EUR SDM repairs?

If so, then let's not let them know about Mercedes' business model.
01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Blowout at a loss, or barely above cost.
If Pentax barely made a profit on their lenses at the old prices,
then we shouldn't complain that they moved to the new prices.
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #525
Banned

If Pentax barely made a profit on their lenses at the old prices,
then we shouldn't complain that they moved to the new prices.
I never said that, unless you're trying to misquote me.