Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
None needed. It is an absurd hypothesis. . . . That you even think data is required is puzzling.
If you cannot provide any data,
you are neither answering the question
nor helping us try to figure out what is happening.

Let's see... keep a lens factory and all subcontractors working year-round for a small blowout once a year. Hmmm.
Lenses are produced in batches, not "year-round."
Inventory costs are minimized if the batches are sold quickly.

01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #542
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
... and even though SDM has come a long way (apparently, issues resolved for 2012 lenses and newer, according to Pentax)
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
For the record, every year Pentax and many unknown people leak this on every photo forum. The same people, when challenged, including on this very forum, will never answer when asked to substantiate if there are new, redesigned parts, prove it, and get Pentax to verify it. It's been a few years now and no substantiation has materialized, but failures, including repaired failed lenses, are still coming forward. [blah, blah, blah ...]
Dearest "snake",

I wasn't making up my assertion about resolved SDM issues; rather, I didn't include the link to my source regarding this issue because I thought a regular follower of this forum would have already known about it. Here it is, just so you don't suppose that us "same people" are making these things up. If it does not seem like a credible account, perhaps contact a forum moderator to find out just exactly who the interviewed "German Pentax engineer and repair technician" actually is. I doubt he's a figment of the author's imagination.
01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #543
Banned

Dearest "snake",

I wasn't making up my assertion about resolved SDM issues; rather, I didn't include the link to my source regarding this issue because I thought a regular follower of this forum would have already known about it. Here it is, just so you don't suppose that us "same people" are making these things up. If it does not seem like a credible account, perhaps contact a forum moderator to find out just exactly who the interviewed "German Pentax engineer and repair technician" actually is. I doubt he's a figment of the author's imagination.
Actually, I am in Germany, and we all know EXACTLY who it is. We got wind of that pretty fast, to the chagrin of Pentax DE/AT/CH and on top of that, no resolution for those of us who have 1,200 Euros worth of multiple SDM repairs under their belts on the same lens and running. Pentax also scrambled to make like things were out of context and lost in translation.

Again, no substantiation of issues and people are still reporting, in Germany, multiple failures of recently purchased and recently repaired lenses.
01-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you cannot provide any data,
you are neither answering the question
nor helping us try to figure out what is happening.

Lenses are produced in batches, not "year-round."
Inventory costs are minimized if the batches are sold quickly.

You are funny. Now you're telling me about manufacturing!

My family has owned and run a factory (still going) in the UK since the 1950's and I have been manufacturing in Asia since the 80's.

Thank you for letting me know that lenses are manufactured in batches.

Your nugget on inventory cost minimisation is also enlightening. Who would have thunk it?

However, a once-a-year Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale doesn't fit in with your requirement of quickly selling recently-manufactured inventory.

The factory and the workers are there year-round. There may be some seasonal fluctuations in the labour force, but the plant will be open pretty much year-round and has costs year-round.

Pentax will not sell more lenses in a weekend blowout than throughout the year. Period.

As for helping with this thread, I was putting paid to the absurd conjecture that a once-a-year sale is in any sort of form a better sales "strategy".

01-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #545
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Actually, I am in Germany, and we all know EXACTLY who it is. We got wind of that pretty fast, to the chagrin of Pentax DE/AT/CH and on top of that, no resolution for those of us who have 1,200 Euros worth of multiple SDM repairs under their belts on the same lens and running. Pentax also scrambled to make like things were out of context and lost in translation.

Again, no substantiation of issues and people are still reporting, in Germany, multiple failures of recently purchased and recently repaired lenses.
Wow, in that case, if I was in your situation I'd probably be jumping ship to another brand pretty quick. I personally wouldn't put up with more than one SDM repair before seriously questioning the brand I was using, especially for what you pay for a DA* lens; you have a LOT of patience! I have only one SDM lens to date and so far no issues, but I'll admit that if it became a nightmare, it would probably soon be 'Nikon, here I come'! I guess my patience is a lot less than most.
01-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #546
Pentaxian

The factory and the workers are there year-round. There may be some seasonal fluctuations in the labour force, but the plant will be open pretty much year-round and has costs year-round.
We are discussing the US market, and the inventory costs for selling in that market.

Pentax will not sell more lenses in a weekend blowout than throughout the year. Period.
Show me the data.

As for helping with this thread, I was putting paid to the absurd conjecture that a once-a-year sale is in any sort of form a better sales "strategy".
Not without data you weren't.
01-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #547
Banned

Wow, in that case, if I was in your situation I'd probably be jumping ship to another brand pretty quick. I personally wouldn't put up with more than one SDM repair before seriously questioning the brand I was using, especially for what you pay for a DA* lens; you have a LOT of patience! I have only one SDM lens to date and so far no issues, but I'll admit that if it became a nightmare, it would probably soon be 'Nikon, here I come'! I guess my patience is a lot less than most.
Obviously from my signature, I don't use SDM lenses and in fact, only my Tamron was sourced new.

Why? Because even my local dealer atthe time, a pentax "premium" dealer, even told me to stay away from the SDM lenses and the warning also served as a disclaimer.
(!!!!!)

01-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #548
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
We are discussing the US market, and the inventory costs for selling in that market.

Show me the data.

Not without data you weren't.
I'm not allowed to be rude here, so I won't be.
01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #549
Pentaxian

I'm not allowed to be rude here, so I won't be.
That is appreciated.

From what you said about your family and employment history,
it appears that you may be trying to consider (or dismiss!)
the issue purely from a manufacturing standpoint.

But the question, a "devil's advocate question," let me remind you,
is as much about the psychology of the US market for Pentax
as it is about the logistics of manufacturing.

I was hoping that someone like Adam might have some relevant data,
e.g. concerning the portion of the US market that supports this site.

As I've mentioned in my earlier responses,
opinions without data, however emphatically expressed,
do not really help us address the question.
At this point, I am not ready to conclude that it is pure incompetence
without data to support that conclusion.
01-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #550

розраховувати на мене теж!
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #551

QuoteOriginally posted by atokarsky Quote
розраховувати на мене теж!
What he said !!