Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #106
Forum Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I sold all my pentax gear because I didn't want to pay the prices to improve my lenses. I went to a Canon setup and hate it. I am in the process of getting back to pentax but will only go the used route. I have no camera stores in my town/city. The only place to buy camera gear is Sears or Best Buy neither of who carry pentax DSLR equipment. So I have to buy online.

12-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #107

Pentax Lens Prices

I have been a loyal Pentax customer since 1973 with several camera body purchases and currently I own a Pentax 10D and a Pentax K7 with these lenses:

Pentax DA 18-250mm1:3.5-6.3, Pentax DA 12-24mm 1:4 ED-AL-IF Extra Wide Angle, Pentax DA 16-45mm 1:4 ED-AL Wide Angle, Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DG, Sigma 24-70mm 1:2.8 HSM, Tamron 70-200mm 1:2.8,

I would love to have a full "stable" of Pentax Lenses however when you can have the quality of Sigma or Tamron lenses at a price that is considerably less than Pentax Lenses......!!!!!

When you look at the choices of Nikon and Canon lenses (some of which are much more expensive than Pentax...but at what difference in quality of glass???

The marketing angle that Pentax needs to understand (in my opinion) is that most of us Pentaxians are very loyal ....and they.... PENTAX/Richo needs to understand to not push us to hard ...or ....well we all have choices don't we...??????

Sincerely,

J3
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #108
Veteran Member

miked

I would have liked to get a couple of Pentax lenses but after raising the prices that's not an option - I am seriously cutting my losses and going to Nikon before I have any more $ invested in Pentax. Sad because I really like my K5
12-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #109

petition

Count me in

12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in, too.

Pentax user since the early 70s... have a collection of film bodies and old glass, the new glass that came with newer bodies, but can't afford current genuine Pentax glass. Please, Pentax, rethink your lens pricing and warranties!
12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #111
Veteran Member

As I have stated more than once in these forums, I am not buying any new Pentax gear as long as these arbitrary prices remain in effect. I would really like to have a new K-30 but will not commit under these rules of engagement.

Edit: Furthermore I am willing to attach my full name to any such petition that would be forwarded to Pentax USA.
12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I absolutely cannot afford the new retail prices for Pentax lenses, the old prices were already a stretch. Roll them back permanently.
David

12-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. I won't pay the current new prices for Pentax lenses.
12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Count me in - as it can't hurt.

Since the extra $$$ margin is not getting new glass made in Japan/Vietnam/Philipines any faster or more choices, I fail to see the business decision.

I've played the game and gotten new glass at great prices, but that gets tiring.
12-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #115

Count me in
12-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed, signing.

I sign this petition. I will not buy at the fixed high price, even though I am very interested in purchasing new lenses. I will buy third party with lower prices and better warranties. Please allow online to return to competitive online prices so I can remain with your brand!
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #117
Veteran Member

agreed.

When I decided that my DA12-24 was cumbersome enough I was about to quit bringing it along unless I had a specific known need for it, I looked at my prior usage and decided that a DA 21mm would fit 90% of my need in that focal range. Based on my happiness with my first limited lens from my purchase of a used DA 40mm (due to pricing of new), I figured I'd be happy with the output of a DA 21 and started looking for a good used copy last week. I decided to price compare used to B&H on Monday- noticed the drop in price to what I felt was reasonable for a new lens with full warranty and bought one on the spot. The UPP pricing was too high for justification of new.

I also purchased a new DFA 100mm WR macro just before UPP took effect but would not have purchased it new at $850 given the pricing of used or 3rd party at the time.

I deal with sales and structures of programming and from the moment I saw the UPP, I knew that it was going to halt the sales. Volume makes money and penetrates percent of industry. For a brand in the position of being a small player in the industry, the model should be to push volume of a competitive quality alternative to the household names to get known. Cut profit margin by a small amount to buy yourself in. Once you have market share, then you can make SMALL manageable margin increases on an as needed basis to appease the uppers/shareholders. An underdog jacking up pricing says one of three things: trying to slow down sales volumes, milking the business dry attempting to pull a few more $ out of a brand on its death bed or incompetency. If your minority of dealers are crippled by the online sellers pricing, it isn't the fault of the pricing structure that the customer sees, it is a failure in management at a higher level to support their dealers with proper market awareness and fitting volume discount programming. Holding back you top performers that were getting you broad market penetration in in a wide geography so your weak local performers can compete is dumb. Empower your volume dealers to keep penetrating market while tooling up your local dealers to sell the value of their local store and the value of the brand.

- What you want is a customer that walks in the local store and asks to see a Pentax because their friend/family member was raving about it, reviews were good and online pricing was competitive and sees that store offering a competitive product (goods + service = price SLIGHTLY higher than online) and makes the purchase on the spot because the product lived up to the hype once they laid their hands on it.

- What you don't want is them to hear someone raving about it, walk into a store to find over inflated prices on past generation product that goes back home to order the newer stuff cheaper online.

- What you REALLY don't want is for someone to see outrageous online prices compared to the better known competition when initially researching and have a lost sale to competition.

The switch from bad to worse sales structure worried me. Hopefully the drop in price lasted long enough for the market to become aware of the drop and act on it to drive total income up. Dropping prices and raising them back up before the market has a chance to respond with some sales volume would mask common sense. When you're in manufacturing of a consumer product, you make money on volume, when you're in the business of specialized production with limited competition and industry potential, you make money on margin. Trying to make money off margin when you have no market penetration and a huge industry is stupid. Fix the root cause, not the symptom!
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #118

Pentax Lens Prices

I have been a loyal Pentax customer since 1973 with several camera body purchases and currently I own a Pentax 10D and a Pentax K7 with these lenses:

Pentax DA 18-250mm1:3.5-6.3, Pentax DA 12-24mm 1:4 ED-AL-IF Extra Wide Angle, Pentax DA 16-45mm 1:4 ED-AL Wide Angle, Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DG, Sigma 24-70mm 1:2.8 HSM, Tamron 70-200mm 1:2.8,

I would love to have a full "stable" of Pentax Lenses however when you can have the quality of Sigma or Tamron lenses at a price that is considerably less than Pentax Lenses......!!!!!

When you look at the choices of Nikon and Canon lenses (some of which are much more expensive than Pentax...but at what difference in quality of glass???

The marketing angle that Pentax needs to understand (in my opinion) is that most of us Pentaxians are very loyal ....and they.... PENTAX/Richo needs to understand to not push us to hard ...or ....well we all have choices don't we...??????

Sincerely,

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/207285-petition-lets-put-end-crazy-online-pentax-lens-prices-us-8.html#ixzz2E2vuMCuD
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #119

I'm in too. Won't even consider buying any new Pentax glass at these prices. Used all the way until something gives.
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #120
Forum Member

Count me in.