Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #121

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UPP is antiquated and needs to go

I respect the small guys and understand the rationale, but if the practice has not worked (would like to see data on how this practice has panned out), then it's time to end UPP. I'd certainly buy more high ticket items new if the price was reasonable.

12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #122

Add me to the list of someone who would love to purchase Pentax lenses, but can't afford it. Looks like I'm be a tamy-user for life based on the new prices.
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Count me in, there are no stores carrying Pentax anywhere around me.
12-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #124

.I'm in! The new prices have kept me from purchasing any new Pentax lens

12-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #125

Photos: Albums
I fully agree. I can not afford the high price of new Pentax Lenses. Iam forced to buy used or third party glass.
12-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #126

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm on board.

I haven't seen any B&M stores carrying Pentax in decades.

The appeal of Pentax used to be its reasonable prices for quality glass.

Pentax makes nice products, but if prices stay unreasonable, I may sell my digital stuff and move to Fuji.
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Totally agree

Pentax new lens prices are crazy and not value for money, not only in the US.

12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree also. Reasonable prices are needed.
12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax chooses to make "me too" lenses of the same quality as others available, they should compete; but as a niche player, I'd like to see Pentax strive to make a select series of outstanding, all metal lenses of unmatched quality. Do what the others don't. Since my main camera is a Leica, and Leica does quite well by refusing to make low cost (from low quality) lenses, the market can respond - not with high volume, but with a loyal following.
12-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #130

Hear hear!
12-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #131
Forum Member

I support this petition as Pentax is nuts to charge as much if not more than Nikon or Canon for their lenses. I'd love to get DA 15mm, but this will not happen any time soon now. If Pentax wants to keep/increase their customer base, they will need to lower their prices. Main reason I went with Pentax is because they were different than Nikon/Canon and were more affordable.
Big kudos to B&H and other online retailers for trying to help us out.
12-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's time to put the online MSRP thing to an end. Back in April, through a "Unilateral Pricing Policy" (UPP), Pentax USA forced online retailers to start selling Pentax lenses at full MSRP rather than the then-lower MAP prices. Refer to the article below for an overview of the price jumps. Some lenses nearly doubled in price!

Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Since this change, online sales of Pentax lenses have virtually come to a standstill because of the high, artificially-inflated prices. I'm sure you guys can testify to that, especially if you opted to use the Marketplace or get Sigma lenses rather than new Pentax ones. Just because the DA* 16-50mm has an MSRP of $1500 doesn't mean that anyone in the right mind will buy a used copy at the new high price: in fact, used Pentax lens prices are generally lower than the old MAP prices.

All of a sudden, this Black Friday weekend, the UPP restriction was temporarily lifted, and Pentax lens prices fell sharply for a few days (but some were still higher than the old prices). Here's a little insight into what gear really started moving:

In just one day, well over 100 new Pentax lenses were sold to PF members alone. That's more that the total number sold to PF members after the introduction of the UPP but before Black Friday.

So what good is this UPP thing doing? None at all. When it originally came about, Ned Bunnell, former President of Pentax USA, blogged about the UPP, saying that the main goal of the policy was to protect smaller brick-and-mortar stores so that they don't have to compete with really low online prices. Well, that's great and all, but you can count on your fingers how many such stores there are. And the funny thing is that if you walk into any one of these stores, you'll see the old prices. The same applies if you call B&H or Adorama: you'll generally get the old prices as long as you mention it (and if you walk in to the store, there's no question about it) On top of all this, rumors have it the Pentax USA distributor requires retailers to place large orders, which causes smaller stores to lose interest in carrying the brand, given the tiny demand that there is for Pentax to begin with.

The UPP isn't going to change the fact that the largest audience for Pentax lenses is found online, because of the fact that Pentax users are few and far between. This means that the new policy has done nothing but prevented users otherwise interested in Pentax lenses from buying them.

Above: the Pentax DA* 50-135mm is the star of the UPP, jumping from $749 to $1599

I was on the phone with B&H again today, and after I mentioned the recent Adorama deals, their buyer agreed to drop the price of the 15mm limited to $539 when in cart. B&H said that if this deal ends up getting more copies of the lens sold, they will do their best to post similar deals in the future, even if Pentax doesn't get rid of the UPP. Lowering prices after adding to cart, without advertising them, is a gray area: Pentax can't really say that it's a violation of the UPP, but they certainly won't be happy about it. B&H admitted that it was nice to see some stock get cleared out during Black Friday, so hopefully they'll be giving Pentax stuff a little bit more attention from now on.

While I'm sure B&H will be the first to offer the best online Pentax lens prices, they alone won't be able to change the way things work, because Pentax lenses and cameras are dwarfed by all other DSLR brands.

Almost all other camera brands have unilateral pricing policies. The difference, however, is that in-store prices are the same as online prices, and that no lenses doubled in price from one day to the next. This keeps prices constant across the board and successfully protects the market, unlike the Pentax policy, which one might say was late to the game. So, Pentax, consider this a petition on behalf of our entire community asking you to rethink your online marketing strategy.

If the UPP has prevented or discouraged you from buying a Pentax lens, or even forced you to switch brands, and if you want prices to go back to normal, sign the petition by replying to this thread. Let's make this the biggest thread in the whole lens forum: hopefully it'll send a strong message!

And if you want, I can go on with more reasons for why the UPP is bad:
  • Competitors have similarly-priced full-frame glass
  • Sigma has cheaper lenses and also offers premium lenses
  • People will avoid new lenses in favor of cheap manual lenses
As much as I hate to do it, I'd like to ask that the replies be limited to members based in the US, or who regularly import Pentax lenses from US online retailers.
This is a frightfully bad policy. It is an invitation to buy products offered by competitors. For instance, I have the Tamron SP Di 90mm f2.8 Macro lens, and I love it. My next lens will probably come from Tamron also.
12-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm about to switch brands. Can you keep losing long time customers?
12-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #134
Veteran Member

As both a Pentax and Nikon user, I can say that since the Pentax prices have went up, I have started to buy more Nikon lenses instead since they cost about the same and there is a far greater assortment.
Lower the prices and I will be back as there are quite a few Pentax lenses that i covet.
12-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #135

Yes!

Yes! I'm in.