Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #196
Forum Member

In the process of setting up my budget for new lenses as I am switching back to Pentax, this ridiculous new pricing rollercoaster started. As a result I have changed nearly all of my lens selection to Tamron and Sigma options because I can't depend on Pentax having the lenses I want at a reasonable or predictable price. If this gets corrected soon I can afford to buy my preferred Pentax glass. Otherwise Pentax will be missing out on about $5000 from just this one buyer over the next couple years.

Enough with the rollercoaster! Don't screw around with your customers, particularly your core market!

12-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in also. The only lenses I've bought this year have been Tamron and Sigma lenses.
12-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I really don't give a lick.

I am at this point done buying Pentax products. I have everything I need, and I don't foresee needing more. I doubt I will ever buy anything Pentax at "regular" prices again. I already have three of the FA ltds for my K-01 that I bought for $350. I am so awestruck with Hasselblad lenses (+ hassy to 645 adapter) that I cannot ever imagine purchasing any 645d lenses that they will come out with in the future for over $5,000 a piece. I also already own 50-135 with busted SDM. I think that 16-50 is a pretty weak lens, even with functioning SDM.

While I don't oppose at all to this petition, what I think you guys should do is to simply stop buying Pentax lenses. Eventually they will come to senses and do the right thing. If not, we can always move on. The used Pentax equipment market is quite healthy. You will find people to buy your gears. Why stick with a company who keep screwing you?

Are they that special?

The answer is a definite "no."
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #199

I came into Pentax from Nikon (film), as I was introduced to the K10 with its incredible build quality and features which made it a great value for the money.

Since that time I have gotten a K-5 and, most recently, a K-01 with the 40mm kit lens (nice camera, by the way...).

I also have an assortment of Pentax lenses, and one third party lens (Vivitar 70-210 f.2.8...not the V3 though). Also Pentax flashes, battery grips for both bodies, an M42 adapter, yadda yadda yadda....

I am discouraged by the lens price increases without any change in warranty coverage and addressing fundamental design and/or manufacturing problems of some lenses that have been posted extensively on this board. I expect to pay a fair/equitable price for a lens comparable to any other major brand, given the same warranty coverage and construction; but not a higher price simply for paying a higher price.

If Pentax continues with its current pricing and warranty policy, I won't be buying (or will wait until promotions come around once in a blue moon). If the pricing comes down some/warranty period comes up I may consider (primes and 18-135 zoom). I won't buy an SDM lens new, even though I was very tempted on Black Friday.

Otherwise, with that being said I did come from Nikon, and still have all my old equipment. Some of my Nikon lenses are digital compatible, and I could easily start to accumulate a couple of digital Nikon bodies instead of investing further in Pentax equipment, while still using the Pentax equipment I have now.

It's a shame though, as Pentax really is a superior (IMHO) build in most respects (I shot with my friends Nikon D7000; no comparison), as well as the prices of some bodies coming down. If Pentax kept the pricing of the lenses in concert they could very well have the happy problem of supplying the demand...

-Matt

12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't bought a Pentax lens since getting my DA55-300 much earlier this year, before the price hikes. I nearly bought a DA*16-50, but decided against it and bought a Sigma 17-50 instead. My most-used lenses are Sigma and Tamron lenses. I've been breaking into sports and event photography but couldn't afford a DA*50-135 thanks to the UPP.

As for "supporting brick and mortar stores"...well, there isn't a brick-and-mortar Pentax dealer near here for miles. I can only order from B&H or Adorama.
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #201

Photos: Gallery
I am very frustrated by the high prices of Pentax lenses. Please lower the prices!
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #202

Photos: Albums
Just bought the K 5 but looking at a few new lenses and ouch! So I am on board!

12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #203
Veteran Member

I *almost* bought a DA* 50-135 when it was $749. But there is absolutely no way I'd pay $1599 for it. That's insanity. It saddens me that increasingly I have to turn to Sigma and Tamron and the used market for reasonably priced lenses. Heck, one of the reasons I started shooting Pentax was because some of their awesome lenses were more affordable. I should have bought that DA 40mm limited when it was $275.
12-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #204

Pentax needs to get good volumes of properly functioning lenses into the market, to overcome the stigma left by the SDM debacle. Uncompetitive pricing will not not achieve that.
12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #205

On the Fence

Very timely post, I'm looking to upgrade from my KX that I enjoyed as my first DSLR. I'm right now looking at what lenses I'd want to get to round out my collection and meet my needs. If the cost of Pentax lenses are higher than the competition I may switch brands rather than pick up a K-5 IIs and lenses.

I'm at the tipping point, I have purchased lenses but not so many as to keep me from switching brands if needed.
12-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #206

Lower Price!

Signed in! Please lower prices!
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #207
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax pricing has resulted in two things for me: 1). Some really nice Sigma Lenses 2). a few more really great vintage Pentax Lenses. Alas, no full-price new Pentax glass.

Last edited by wjhawthorne3; 12-03-2012 at 10:58 PM.
12-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #208
Inactive Account

Me too.
Buying nothing but used lenses.
New lens pricing is a deal breaker.
12-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #209
DLC

I'm in

I'm a new K-30 owner. I got the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR with my K-30. I came to the K-30 when my ME-Super was stolen with most of its glass last summer. I have always been a big fan of Pentax lenses, to the point of taking great joy in showing up my Nikon and Canon shooting friends with Pentax glass.

I expect to buy at least three more lenses:

1. A super wide-angle. One of my favorite lenses lost in the burglary was my SMC 24/2.8. I really loved that lens. I will probably go zoom this time, and D* 12-24 is a candidate, but not at a $200 premium to the Tamron 10-24 or the Sigma 10-20.

2. A macro lens. I'm thinking the 100mm/2.8 D FA macro lens will suit my needs (bug hunting and flowers), but I'm going to look carefully at Tamron and Sigma's offerings, as well as at the SMC-A equivalent lens.

3. A 50mm prime for portraiture. I'd like the 1.4 DA, but at $600+ I'll look for a SMC-A 50/1.2, not that the extra half-stop is a big deal with the K-30, but the ability to control depth of field is.

And maybe:
4. A super telephoto. I want to be able to go to Bosque del Apache and shoot birds. I'm not sure that I have enough use for this lens to justify big bucks -- honestly, I'm thinking seriously about a 500/8 catadioptric.

But with Pentax's crazy lens pricing, I don't see myself doing Pentax lenses even though I would prefer to use Pentax glass.

By the way, I do patronize my local stores when I can. I bought my K-30 from Cord Camera in Cincinnati. Cord came close enough to matching B&H's pricing that I bought local. Pentax's policies aren't going to encourage me to stay local -- they will just drive me to Sigma, Tamron and older K-mount glass.
12-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Count me in, especially as a new Pentax user. I was able to get a refund per B&H price guaranty during the Black Friday. I was able to take advantage of today's price reduction of Pentax lens that Adorama had. But with the normal pricing of some the Pentax lenses, I look strongly at Tamron or /Sigma.