Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in

I agree - the new prices are too high. I can't justify spending that much money.

12-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #302

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I buy all my gear at Adorama and B&H, so far a K20D, K-r, K-30, two K-5s, and a K5IIs, hoods, filters, adapters, O-GPS, and NOT a single brand new Pentax lens (until Black Friday in which I bought a 60-25, because that was the right price for that lens, not $1800). I bought Sigma lens simple because the pricing on Pentax lens was ridiculous. How can Pentax justify those prices? We don't need in-lens stabilization, and lenses are about the same price as Canon or Nikon with IS or VR? makes no sense. Pentax lenses are good quality, but to price them very close to Canon L is just unreal.

PLEASE Pentax drop the prices so you can get more VOLUME of sales and we Pentaxians can spread the word of great lenses at great prices!!!
12-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #303

I'm in. Pentax is not protecting any brick and mortars when it comes to me. I've been buying from B&H for something like 15 years now. I am now making my living from photography and there are many premium Pentax lenses I eventually want in my collection, but if am in need of a lens on short notice, I will buy Sigma or Tamron before I pay the artificially high prices. I'd buy used here on the PF as well.
12-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #304

Please add me to the retition...

12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #305

I don't know if this petition will do anything, but I'll post a reply anyway. I'm not a rich man, never will be, but I do love photography. The Pentax K-5 is my first DSLR. I used to use an on Minolta 35mm SLR that I bought while in the service, and DSLR prices kept me from ever getting into serious digital work. Last year I used my tax refund to get the Pentax, and it's been a blast.

The lenses being priced as they are has kept me from getting any additional lens to the 18-55mm kit that came with the body. Hopefully that will change one day soon. Black Friday didn't really help, and it wouldn't matter, being I have to save my money for other people's gifts, not my own.

Anyway, good luck with this.

Last edited by severian; 12-04-2012 at 09:14 AM.
12-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #306

I am certainly in favor of lower prices for lenses, but I wonder how Pentax's prices compare to Canon, Nikon , or Sony etc for similar product. Also, I am not sure what your graph shows. Is there a scale for the axis?

In any case, I am pulling for more reasonably priced lenses; Pentax or otherwise.
12-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #307

Lens Prices

High prices result in less sales.
Lower the prices and you will sell more lenses.

12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #308
Forum Member

Lower Lens Prices

Honestly, I can find Pentax lenses ONLY online. There are NO - ZERO, ZIPPO, NADA - brick and mortar stores in Michigan that sell Pentax gear any more. In fact, when I ask about Pentax gear at a local camera shop, I get a funny look and comments such as, "Canon or Nikon have a much wider lens selection, we haven't carried Pentax for years." Seems to me if Pentax wants to sell more cameras, they need to have an attractive lens/gear line-up available. The only way to get competitive again is to make high quality glass and sell them at REASONABLE prices the way they used to. Most of my lenses are either 3rd party or purchased 2nd hand SMC glass. I love my Pentax gear. The only NEW SMC lens I purchased is the WR 18-135 which was $499 at the time (when just released). I thought I was paying too much then. Glad I didn't wait too long to buy it! I wish I could afford some of the * or limited glass.
12-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #309

Photos: Albums
I agree.

I'm waiting to buy a new prime lens. If prices don't change, I'll be looking for a used one, not a new one.
12-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #310

I'm in

The only reason I have not purchased a Pentax lens lately is the price. I love the brand and my cameras, but the seemingly artificial high price when compared to other brands with similar lenses has me looking more and more at Sigma or other brands. My last purchase was a fixed long lens that was not Pentax.

Lower the prices to be more competitive and I'll probably go back to getting Pentax gear. If this keeps up, I may not be able to afford updating my Pentax system and will be looking at other brands instead. There just aren't enough Pentaxians, I think, to support these prices.
12-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #311

Count me in,

Maybe I could afford a new PENTAX lens..
12-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #312
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wehrmacher Quote
I am certainly in favor of lower prices for lenses, but I wonder how Pentax's prices compare to Canon, Nikon , or Sony etc for similar product. Also, I am not sure what your graph shows. Is there a scale for the axis?

In any case, I am pulling for more reasonably priced lenses; Pentax or otherwise.
You can go to the places that sell both and compare the prices. BH, Ador, Abe's, Amazon etc. Just because Nikon and Canon plays the MAP game didn't mean it was a good idea for Pentax. The graph is relative to Black Friday sales Nov 23 -26 with a 4% or better purchase frequency. Oddly, the K-30 didn't break the 4% barrier over those days.
12-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #313

Adam,
I certainly support this petition and I appreciate your effort on our behalf.
Ted
12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #314
BAB
Forum Member

I'm in support of this petition. The one remaining private camera store in Portland, Maine doesn't carry Pentax gear as there's too little call for same compared to other brands. So what's the big deal about standardized pricing. Put the prices back where they were and Pentax will sell a hell of lot more of them.

BAB
12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #315
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My Pentax k-x is my first DSLR camera. I purchased it because my husband, a staunch film professional, also had Pentax and I can use his manual lenses. I've been desperately wanting to purchase additional lenses and would love to stay with Pentax, but I just can't afford them. I will likely be either a) moving to another brand all together or b) sticking with Tamron/Sigma for lenses. I'd like to give my money to Pentax, but the current pricing is just too high for me.