Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #436
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's why I only have 1 actual pentax lens, the 18-135WR. I have 3 Sigmas and 3 Tamrons. I would have hated to see (or pay) the prices for Pentax equivalents, if they even existed.

12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #437
Forum Member

Pentax lens prices

I remember i think 5 years back i got the FA50mm F1.4 for $179.00 from B&H Brand new. Thought this was a start of things to come. Got the FA35mm F2.0 for $250.00 and then Got the D-FA 100mm 2.8 Macro for $399.00. Picked Up 2 of the FA Limited lens at that time also...All brand new. Those prices doubled and almost tripled since then. Don't even get me started with the used market. The VALUE as well of Quality of Pentax is what kept me around But now my pocket book as well as logic and common sense has taken over. I can not afford 1500.00 for a lens i can get in the "other" brands for half. the difference in quality is not worth twice as much X=C/R i call it. lol I have since started buying (dare i say it ... and sadly) Nikon gear... i know, Shoot me. The price increase with the lack of full frame has killed my work and the creative process. I still Have most of my Pentax gear as in a whole collection of film cameras from M42 to 3 digital bodies (ist-d, K20 and K5) and use them but will not be investing in Pentax lens or bodies in the near future less things change. I still love and USE them when its just my day out taking pictures and LOVE to inform others about Pentax gear. I just had to do what work required and its not always what one would want. I hope in the near future things will change and my Nikon gear can sit on the self... or find its way into the used market as Pentax.... is my true passion.
Please lower prices, maybe come out with full frame, Hell.... a true black and white digital body (Leica did using Kodak sensor tech from there F5 based mono- chrome system of years gone by) Now i am just dreaming

((Leica has announced the M-Monochrom, a black-and-white version of its M9 full-frame rangefinder. The M-Monochrom has no color filter array in front of the sensor, meaning it captures more of the available light but cannot perceive color. It also means there is no need for demosaicing (the process of combining color information from adjacent pixels), so higher levels of detail are retained.)) Oh not for 8000.00 lol but just got a dream and off topic here.)))
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #438

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, that's how it was for almost 10 years, so it's a sudden change of heart. They can't double the price of a lens online and expect it to sell, and because a negligible % of lens shoppers go to B&M stores, the policy doesn't make any sense at the moment.
I'll tell you how I understand it:
Basically they say that online stores will sell at MSRP, which is 2 times the old price. B&M will sell at about 0.75 of MSRP, making them somewhat cheaper than online stores. You as a price conscious customer will prefer the B&M in this case, because they are the cheaper alternative now.

The problem with this kind of policy is that overall, the prices are going up in this system. people will not buy Pentax gear at any cost. Some will buy 3rd party, some will buy used and some will even find it beneficial to switch systems altogether. There is one more problem with this policy: Potential customers - They will have a really hard time justifying entering the Pentax system if it's prices are close to more established and well known competitors.
12-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Euronitzan Quote
I'll tell you how I understand it:
Basically they say that online stores will sell at MSRP, which is 2 times the old price. B&M will sell at about 0.75 of MSRP, making them somewhat cheaper than online stores. You as a price conscious customer will prefer the B&M in this case, because they are the cheaper alternative now.

The problem with this kind of policy is that overall, the prices are going up in this system. people will not buy Pentax gear at any cost. Some will buy 3rd party, some will buy used and some will even find it beneficial to switch systems altogether. There is one more problem with this policy: Potential customers - They will have a really hard time justifying entering the Pentax system if it's prices are close to more established and well known competitors.
Add to that the fact that Pentax is just NOT in that many stores to begin with, nor has that number gone up meaningfully for most of us in the US since the Maximum Assured Pricing debut.

12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #440
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Euronitzan Quote
I have already posted my support for this thread - but this is an excellent point and I would like to comment.

18 months ago I was ready to get my first DSLR. I have a long history with Pentax film cameras and I was intrigued by the chance to use my 35mm primes on a DSLR. Eventually I realized that the K-5 was a very special camera and I jumped in (with some reservations about build quality) and I have been very, very happy with my choice.

But part of my decision process was based on the availability of reasonably priced, high quality Pentax glass and I quickly acquired a DA 18-135, a DA* 16-50, and a DA* 50-135. These are all excellent lenses and a real value at the Internet pricing. I had already envisioned getting a really long lens, a macro lens and some more primes. Then - bam - the new pricing policy hit and I have not gotten a single lens since.

So this policy aimed at supporting B&M stores has in my case stopped me from buying any more Pentax lenses. Such a shame for me and for Pentax.

I am lucky in having a local B&M outlet for Pentax products. I bought my K-5 body from them because of my quality concerns with Pentax products (now there is a strategy for supporting B&M outlets!). But my subsequent lens purchases have all been from B&H and until internet prices come back to a rational level I am done acquiring any new Pentax products.

If this had been the case 18 months ago I would have probably had a few nostalgic moments thinking about Pentax products from my past and I would have just bought a Cannon DSLR instead. Ricoh really needs to think about this impact on prospective Pentax buyers and how they are really telling us to just move on to a more stable brand.

Last edited by JimDickinson; 12-08-2012 at 05:23 AM.
12-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #441
Pentaxian

Petition Reply

I agree 100%. The pricing will be a make or break decision for me as to whether I get the DFA 100mm WR I want or not. I hope Pentax comes to its senses and backs off on the ridiculous pricing of late.
12-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #442

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And if you want, I can go on with more reasons for why the UPP is bad:
  • Competitors have similarly-priced full-frame glass
  • Sigma has cheaper lenses and also offers premium lenses
  • People will avoid new lenses in favor of cheap manual lenses
As much as I hate to do it, I'd like to ask that the replies be limited to members based in the US, or who regularly import Pentax lenses from US online retailers.
I can add another one for you:
  • Price fixing, even if it's a form of price fixing which is legal thanks to deficiencies in the law, is morally wrong and gives the company engaging in it a bad reputation

12-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #443
Forum Member

Pentax pricing - I've had it w/ this company !

This interference with pricing is the last straw - i'm moving over to Canon or Nikon. Joining the lemmings...
I am just junking the Kx piece of junk i bought 2 years ago. Too unreliable.
I am putting up for sale my 18-150 and 55-300 Pentax lenses. I'm happy with them BUT if I can't continue to buy Pentax lenses in a free market w/o behind-the-scenes price manipulation then let's cut our losses and move on. Pentax has such a tiny market share anyway. No reason to continue to be contrarian.
I can't find a B&M store locally to buy Pentax products and if Ricoh/Pentax are going to mess with pricing this way - this sends enough signal about how they value free enterprise that this is the third strike against them in my book.
12-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #444
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I totally support this petition !

I am now the proud owner of three new DA* lenses ( 55 f1.4, 16-50 f2.8 & 50-135 f2.8 ). All made possible, primarily, due to the special "Black Friday" pricing at B&H online and, secondly, due to the generosity of my fiancé (she bought me the two zooms as early Christmas presents, since at that price it was like getting two for the price of one).
In addition to that I also acquired a Black K-01 (body only), an early Christmas present to myself, at the very special price of $316.95, from Adorama online.
My point in replying to this thread is to not only support this petition, but to demonstrate to Pentax, with purchases, that a reasonable and competitive pricing policy on their part will result in better product movement.
All of these acquisitions would have taken a much longer period of time to take place, if they happened at all, at the higher price points.

PS: I know it is not related to the main point here, but also want to throw in my support for a "full frame" Pentax DSLR, sooner than later.

Last edited by chuck_c; 12-08-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: adding additional information
12-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #445
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by habsfanusa Quote
This interference with pricing is the last straw - i'm moving over to Canon or Nikon. Joining the lemmings...
I am just junking the Kx piece of junk i bought 2 years ago. Too unreliable.
I am putting up for sale my 18-150 and 55-300 Pentax lenses. I'm happy with them BUT if I can't continue to buy Pentax lenses in a free market w/o behind-the-scenes price manipulation then let's cut our losses and move on. Pentax has such a tiny market share anyway. No reason to continue to be contrarian.
I can't find a B&M store locally to buy Pentax products and if Ricoh/Pentax are going to mess with pricing this way - this sends enough signal about how they value free enterprise that this is the third strike against them in my book.
Don't junk it, send it to me!
12-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #446

As a 40 year Pentax user, I agree that their lens are very much overpriced. I am strongly considering a change to another brand.
12-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #447
Veteran Member

Count me in too.

Sigma were a hair from getting my money for a 70-200/2.8. It is only the Black Friday pricing that made me look at the DA* 50-135.

Even before the UPP fiasco, Pentax pricing has increased crazily.

The only other Pentax lens I have bought new that didn't come with a body**, the FA50/1.4, here in HK went from HK$1,500 in 2008 to HK$3,690 now:

Pentax smc-FA 50mm f/1.4 - Lens ?? - ???? - ?? - ????? Price.com.hk

250% in 4 years?!?

I'm looking at a macro lens next and, much as I'd like the 100WR, it isn't worth as much as Pentax seem to think it is over the Tamron 90. I'll pay a premium for the Pentax, but I won't be mugged.

**Other than my FA 31/1.8 that I left in the back of a taxi. But I'm pretending that never happened...
12-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #448

I have been eyeing the DA Limited primes but the high prices have been keeping me from jumping on them. So I keep a close eye on used ones instead.
12-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #449
Inactive Account

I have been hoping for this.

I bought the K5, 2.8 135 zoom, and 50mm 1.4 before the last round of price hikes. I was going to buy the 2.8 wide zoom recently, but despite it's lack luster reviews, the price was increased without fixing the problems this forum has repeatedly pointed out.

This pricing has forced me to sell my 50mm lens. The next step was to sell my k5 and 2.8 zoom. I love this kit, but the pricing is crazy. I will hold off to see to see what decision Pentax makes. I loved having something different and high quality, but raising prices without raising quality or feature makes no since in this global economy and great recession.
12-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #450

If this pricing policy was put in place so that more B&M stores would carry Pentax gear, it does not seem to be working in New England. I have a Hunts Photo and Video about a mile from my home. They are a large chain with stores in NH, Maine, Mass, RI, and Conn. Our local Hunts has one K30 on their shelf, and one Point and Shoot. That's it. Not one Pentax lens. Not one third party lens in a Pentax mount.

I would love to be able to support my local camera shop, but as long as I am a Pentax shooter, it doesn't seem I will be able to do so. I am still forced to buy on line, and, the only one benefiting from these purchases are the on line retailers. Everyone else seems to be losing.

It is very disheartening to say the least. I cannot imagine walking into Hunt's and seeing a part of the display case full of Pentax lenses. If I shot Nikon or Cannon, with the exception of some very long glass, I could buy almost any lens from either company and be out shooting with it in just a few minutes.

Tu summarize, this isn't working. I still have to buy on line, and now, I have to pay more for the privilege. If there is an upside to this, I'm surely missing it.