Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax-M 40mm 2.8 pancake lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Really tempted to buy these lens ... I've been tempted for quite a while now but I think I'm about to go for it.
And before I go for it, I need one last "decision battle" .

I've been looking a lot around for info and most of it is kind mixed; no matter how many reviews I read about them is never a clear picture of how good they are and opinions are very mixed ... some loves it, some dislike it.

So, this is a call out at those that had/has these lenses.

For those of you who still has them ... is it really worth it? Or is just a collectors item mostly!?
And for those of you who had them ... why did you got rid of them?

Some pics will be appreciate it as well.

Thanks!

12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it worth it? Well considering the next available pancake prime with aperture ring for my Super ME was the FA 43, I didn't have much of a choice =p

Got mine for about $80 bucks, really enjoy it on my Super ME. It's flat enough to make the Super ME fit in my jacket pocket. Previously my M50 1.7 was too long, making it tough to handle when going outside with my DSLR.

Image quality - center is pretty good wide open. Edge, not so great. Stop down to F5.6 for landscapes, and it's good.

F2.8 center

F2.8 corner

F5.6 center

F5.6 corner

F8 is just a bit sharper in the center and corner, so I usually walk around at F4 or F5.6 and hyperfocal and shoot.
12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

These are reposts from a trip to Stockholm last May
SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 40mm
Direct camera jpgs:
https://www.box.com/s/ec1756e7f656e3c15e71
https://www.box.com/s/cli4ecy9pw4601vji3l0
https://www.box.com/s/209edf19081385021670
12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Really tempted to buy these lens ... I've been tempted for quite a while now but I think I'm about to go for it.
And before I go for it, I need one last "decision battle" .

I've been looking a lot around for info and most of it is kind mixed; no matter how many reviews I read about them is never a clear picture of how good they are and opinions are very mixed ... some loves it, some dislike it.

So, this is a call out at those that had/has these lenses.

For those of you who still has them ... is it really worth it? Or is just a collectors item mostly!?
And for those of you who had them ... why did you got rid of them?

Some pics will be appreciate it as well.

Thanks!
After getting the DA 40 I also tested the old M 40mm and found that the IQ basically sucks. So in this case, new beats old for sure. Unfortunately I can't recommend the M pancake- it's a cool collector's item, but not something you'd want to stick on your DSLR IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2012, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Unless you find one for particularly cheap, or you particularly enjoy manual focusing, I'd probably skip it. The DA 40/2.8 XS is a modern AF lens, even tinier, and can be had cheap. Otherwise the DA 40/2.8 Limited is even better and also the cheapest Limited lens.
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the pictures guys!
It does look like images are not the best thing out there I guess ...

Adam, I have the 40mm XS and I was hopping that they are close enough ... but I guess is not the case .
Really like the idea of aperture control on the lens (able to use it on old manual film cameras).

msatlas, I'm kind of a manual focus guy .

What about its "cousins"!?
Like the CHINON 45mm lens?

Last edited by mrNewt; 12-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
12-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

To be clear, it's not a sharp lens anywhere except the center. But then again.. neither is the DA 18-135. It's a thin lens, it's got an aperture ring, and it's about $60-80 bucks. I really prefer it over my M50 1.7 for my daily use with my film camera.

For a dslr, I would definitely prefer the DA 40mm XS/LTD.

12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, these are going now on eBay for anywhere between $160 - $250 + shipping (the old M lens)
12-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Whoah, I got a bargain then... at that price, heck no!
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a good 40mm pancake with an aperture ring,
your best bet would be a Voigtlaender Ultron 40/2.
12-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you want an MF lens you might also try keeping an eye out for the Vivitar 40mm f/2.5 pancake. I had just stumbled across one on eBay recently but it sold.

Pentax PK Vivitar 40mm F2 5 40 mm F 2 5 Pancake DSLR Sony NEX Fuji Pro LN | eBay
12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you want a good 40mm pancake with an aperture ring,
your best bet would be a Voigtlaender Ultron 40/2.
At $680+ ... hell no. Might be a nice lens, but for that price I can get Pentax glass for cheaper and just as good (alas no aperture ring ).

QuoteOriginally posted by msatlas Quote
If you want an MF lens you might also try keeping an eye out for the Vivitar 40mm f/2.5 pancake. I had just stumbled across one on eBay recently but it sold.

Pentax PK Vivitar 40mm F2 5 40 mm F 2 5 Pancake DSLR Sony NEX Fuji Pro LN | eBay
Is this better than the Pentax one? Or image quality is same as Pentax (same thing, different name)!?
12-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Thanks for the pictures guys!
It does look like images are not the best thing out there I guess ...

Adam, I have the 40mm XS and I was hopping that they are close enough ... but I guess is not the case .
Really like the idea of aperture control on the lens (able to use it on old manual film cameras).

msatlas, I'm kind of a manual focus guy .

What about its "cousins"!?
Like the CHINON 45mm lens?
Can you put up some of your examples with the XS ?
12-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Can you put up some of your examples with the XS ?
I have a few pictures but I don't have a flickr account. I tried to link to the pictures on my site but for whatever reason it doesn't display here on the forums. So I just removed them.
I do have a few pics as attachments in my albums - nothing special though.
Wide open on K-5. The only adjustment done was WB balance and cropping.

12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have the M 40 2.8... It's attached to my MG (which has purple leather)... It looks good on the bookcase...

On digital it's not very good...