Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #1

New Tamron Macro or used Pentax WR

Hi everybody...

Between one used (perfect condition) Pentax D-FA 100mm WR macro and a new Tamron 90mm Macro for the same price, which one would you choose and why?

Thank You

12-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax. The resale value will likely hold better. And the Pentax new is about $800 while the Tamron is $499 currently with a $50 rebate. Although per Adam the DFA 100 WR is $639 on deal if you buy now at B&H.

Note I am not making any judgement on the lens quality. The DFA 100 WR is one of my most used lenses and the IQ is stellar, but I've never tried the Tamron so I cannot honestly compare.

But if I can get an $800 lens for $449 even if I don't like it I can resell at a profit. And even at the special $639 price you still come out ahead.
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax, for the reason jatrax states, and also because of WR
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not gonna tell you which one....

A new Tamron now will become used the day after.

I recently traded a Tamron 90mm + $100 for a Pentax DFA 100mm WR, both used but in excellent condition. I don't regret one bit.

I think just the "quick shift" feature already worth $100.

12-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For macros, the quick shift can really be handy, more so than a focus limiter.
12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax. Once you've used a DFA100WR you will understand. It is like a Limited lens in construction, and IQ is excellent.
12-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't have the 100mm WR but I have the Tammy 90 2.8 and a sigma 105 EX macro.
I think the calling card for the DFA100mm WR is the build quality and features.

Pentax Advantages:
Limited like build - some people call it a limited anyway
Weather resistance
Quick shift
Holds price better
49mm Filter - Same as all the DA limited Primes

Tamron Advantages:
Price
Focus Limiter
Aperture Ring

I happened onto my tammy 90mm when I bought a whole kit off a guy... (I was chasing other lenses he had-but he wanted to sell all of it). And to be honest I like the lens a lot, since it is very sharp and light weight compared to my sigma 105 but the build quality is something that I don't like and I much prefer the sigma's colour rendering. Both are certainly not deal breakers given it's price though .

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 12-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank You.
Wich is better instead for standars photo? (eg. portrait, not macro)
12-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

without thinking Pentax D-FA 100 WR (eg. portrait, not macro) :

12-06-2012, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I hate seeing someone dissing the Tammy on image quality. That's a losing proposition. Owning a Tammy, I still may go for a 100 WR someday, just for the WR and build quality. And in your position I'd get the 100 WR. But if you do get the Tammy, you won't be disappointed in the IQ. With the cheaper build quality it just doesn't feel right if you're used to Pentax. That's hard to get over. If you go through the top rated lenses on DxO the Tammy 90 is the highest rated prime available on K mount (with the exception of manual focus Samyangs). There's a reason for that. (You can't rate the 100 WR on an FF body so it's rating really suffers, so you can't directly compare.. just saying, the Tamron 90 is no slouch.)

Last edited by normhead; 12-06-2012 at 08:35 AM.
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I hate seeing someone dissing the Tammy on image quality. That's a losing proposition. Owning a Tammy, I still may go for a 100 WR someday, just for the WR and build quality. And in your position I'd get the 100 WR. But if you do get the Tammy, you won't be disappointed in the IQ.
I've never seen anyone dissing the Tamron. I wrote Pentaxforum's comparison review of those two lenses and indeed they are hard to tell apart when looking at pictures. Both are excellent and compare well with one another.

Regarding build quality and features, the Pentax WR is clearly the best choice, as I wrote on the review. At the same price, if the used one is pristine, I wouldn't wait a second.
12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chosa Quote
Thank You.
Wich is better instead for standars photo? (eg. portrait, not macro)
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
without thinking Pentax D-FA 100 WR (eg. portrait, not macro) :
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've never seen anyone dissing the Tamron. I wrote Pentaxforum's comparison review of those two lenses and indeed they are hard to tell apart when looking at pictures. Both are excellent and compare well with one another.

Regarding build quality and features, the Pentax WR is clearly the best choice, as I wrote on the review. At the same price, if the used one is pristine, I wouldn't wait a second.
Looks like dissing to me. Very mild and un-obnoxious dissing... but even if he wanted to go with the FA 100 WR, he should have at least thought about it a little bit, don't you think?
12-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This should also be counted as "dissing":

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I recently traded a Tamron 90mm + $100 for a Pentax DFA 100mm WR, both used but in excellent condition. I don't regret one bit.

I think just the "quick shift" feature already worth $100.
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I think pretty much all 100ish macro lens tend to be very similar in optical quality, and really amazing at that. Also keep in mind, if you intend to use it as designed (macro) the autofocus probably will not matter either (which means you could even consider some older manual focus lens like the lester dine/kiron/vivitar 105 2.5/2.8 - probably better built quality than either of those). Anyways, the question is what is the built quality worth to you? You will be using manual focus a lot so how do the focus rings of each lens compare (smoothness and throw)? What is the WR worth to you? I think WR is awesome for lens like the DA 50-135, but on a macro lens? Im having trouble imagining a situation when I would go out and shoot flowers/bugs when it is actually raining or snowing...

Last edited by oxidized; 12-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.
12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Personally, I think pretty much all 100ish macro lens tend to be very similar in optical quality, and really amazing at that. Also keep in mind, if you intend to use it as designed (macro) the autofocus probably will not matter either (which means you could even consider some older manual focus lens like the lester dine/kiron/vivitar 105 2.5/2.8 - probably better built quality than either of those). Anyways, the question is what is the built quality worth to you? You will be using manual focus a lot so how do the focus rings of each lens compare (smoothness and throw)? What is the WR worth to you? I think WR is awesome for lens like the DA 50-135, but on a macro lens? Im having trouble imagining a situation when I would go out and shoot flowers/bugs when it is actually raining or snowing...
Actually, I found myself wishing I had a WR lens when doing water drop photos. For such small drops they splash a long way and get all over the lens.

WR is not just about water too. It will have a resistance to dust.