Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #16

Original Poster
You had me dithering all over again for a moment there Civiletti, but I've just had a browse through my collection for my average focal length and nope its the telephoto for me. If anything it has me a little worried I'll find myself frustrated with the 135 length at times. I'm expecting a good quality prime will keep me happy with any close shots.

As for your other suggestion Norm, I've heard a lot of people say the 18-135 is considerably superior to the kit and by the time I've paid for the lattter and the Sigma I'm looking at around 200. I'd pay the extra 100 for better image quality and similar range in one lens. Maybe... I'm still not sure! the 300 end of the Sigma might be really great to have.

12-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're looking for a good telezoom to complement the 18-55, I would like to suggest the DA or DAL 55-300. I just picked one up myself this week after I was basically peer-pressured into getting it from people in this forum (I was originally going for the 50-200), and I'm pleased as punch with that decision (and I'm grateful to the people who steered me in that direction).

The 55-300 has amazing optical quality for its price. The 55-100 range is useful because it can stay at F4, and it stays at F4.5 until 200. It's also compact, and fairly inexpensive (used DA versions go for around $275 US, DAL versions are even cheaper). Also, they pop up quite frequently on the marketplace.

At 55-100 it can be used for street photography and portraiture, and longer ranges can be used for zooming into people's apartments and seeing what they're eating for breakfast or what they're reading in their bedrooms at night.

I did just write a review on the Pentax F 100-300 (it's the latest review), but I think you should save up a bit more and get a version of the 55-300. (added this bit because you asked about people who have experience with older telezooms on the K30).

I've written about how I'm not a fan of the 18-135 in other threads, simply because I don't think it's worth its price for the optical quality it delivers, but when it comes bundled in a kit the price drops by $200 or so, so if you can get the 18-135 as part of a kit, it's worth it over any other kit lens combo out there.
12-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
If you're looking for a good telezoom to complement the 18-55, I would like to suggest the DA or DAL 55-300. I just picked one up myself this week after I was basically peer-pressured into getting it from people in this forum (I was originally going for the 50-200), and I'm pleased as punch with that decision (and I'm grateful to the people who steered me in that direction).

The 55-300 has amazing optical quality for its price. The 55-100 range is useful because it can stay at F4, and it stays at F4.5 until 200. It's also compact, and fairly inexpensive (used DA versions go for around $275 US, DAL versions are even cheaper). Also, they pop up quite frequently on the marketplace.

At 55-100 it can be used for street photography and portraiture, and longer ranges can be used for zooming into people's apartments and seeing what they're eating for breakfast or what they're reading in their bedrooms at night.

I did just write a review on the Pentax F 100-300 (it's the latest review), but I think you should save up a bit more and get a version of the 55-300. (added this bit because you asked about people who have experience with older telezooms on the K30).

I've written about how I'm not a fan of the 18-135 in other threads, simply because I don't think it's worth its price for the optical quality it delivers, but when it comes bundled in a kit the price drops by $200 or so, so if you can get the 18-135 as part of a kit, it's worth it over any other kit lens combo out there.
It's also surprisingly small and light for its zoom range.
12-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #19

Original Poster
Gah I'm still undecided. If I could get the 18-135 as a discounted kit my mind would be made up but as it is its the most expensive lens I'm considering for now.

I could get it for 270 or the inferior (but how inferior?) Tamron 18-250, the extra telephoto kinda makes up for the lack of WR, greateter weight, slower focus etc, but does it make up for worse IQ?

Or I can get some sort of 18-55 and 50-300 combo for around 150 and have a little money to get a great prime straight away. Although this is my best value option its a compromise on IQ and flexibility (do hate missing that stella shot cos I'm faffing around swapping lenses).

Or the 18-135 is available used for 80 on ebay at the moment....

At least I've narrowed it down to these options and I can safely say I couldn't be satisfied with just a 17-50 length.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help btw.

12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

I've had a glance at the DA but according to photozone its on a par with the tamron 70-300 and considerably pricier/less available (from the UK at least) so unless photozone is chatting nonsense (quite possible) you'll have to try harder to convince me its worth it!