Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Wow. Once I have a lens in my bag, unless it just plain sucks, someone will have to inherit it from me to get it out of my hands, lol
I can see people doing this... collecting lenses... but for me... my style of doing things is different. Yes, I want to be a GREAT photographer...but I also want it to fit in to what I already love doing in other areas.

It would be cool to have a 100 lens collection but to make good use of things for me I want to hop a flight with a carry on and be on my way. I am slowly building my skill level up... I want to be where skill meets adventure.

I have a number of reasons why I took up photography... for one I have always been interested in it...I even took classes back in jr high school... but its more than that. I am really digging trying to be artistic...and once I am able to go back out and move around more it would an all around epic combination.

Small, light, easy, quick on the draw...I don't have JUST the photography aspect in mind when I am picking out these lenses... I have the other stuff in mind along with it so I can most easily do it all.

12-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The DA 55mm is actually rated with a lesser of an overall rating that the FA 50mm f1.7...and on top of that...the 55mm f1.4 is $721! Have they truly lost their minds? Yet the FA 50mm f1.7 is discontinued even though its highly rated.
The FA50/1.7 and F50/1.4 are the best of the AF 50's. I had both and sold them. But the FA43 and DA*55 perform at a completely different level. The DA*55 is the only Pentax lens around 50mm that can shoot with very high IQ at f/1.6 or even 1.4. Perhaps my K50/1.2 comes close, but it really is stronger in other areas (such as rendering beautiful backgrounds). All other Pentax ~50's need to be stopped down to at least f/2 to perform anywhere near to their potential, IQ-wise.

The only other fast Pentax lenses that come to mind which perform so well near wide-open are the FA77 Ltd, FA31 Ltd, and FA*85. It's a very short list, and actually the DA*55 is the cheapest one on it (though it probably should be, since 50ish lenses are still generally simpler than other focal lengths). So even at $600 it's not really overpriced.
12-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter

I can see people doing this... collecting lenses... but for me... my style of doing things is different. Yes, I want to be a GREAT photographer...but I also want it to fit in to what I already love doing in other areas.

It would be cool to have a 100 lens collection but to make good use of things for me I want to hop a flight with a carry on and be on my way. I am slowly building my skill level up... I want to be where skill meets adventure.

I have a number of reasons why I took up photography... for one I have always been interested in it...I even took classes back in jr high school... but its more than that. I am really digging trying to be artistic...and once I am able to go back out and move around more it would an all around epic combination.

Small, light, easy, quick on the draw...I don't have JUST the photography aspect in mind when I am picking out these lenses... I have the other stuff in mind along with it so I can most easily do it all.
With the 15 Ltd I just bought, I also have the 15/40/70Ltd combo, plus a DA35 Ltd for Macro shots, and have a seperate bag to carry a body with these 3 or 4 lenses. I've been using this Lowepro for carrying my K-01 and these Limiteds- a very compact package!
12-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I need to locate the thread with sample pics from the 21mm....
This thread gets easily buried back a few pages and is hard to find - some excellent examples!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46831-post-you...otos-here.html

Edit to add - here are some more:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/153172-pentax-d...d-samples.html

12-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The FA50/1.7 and F50/1.4 are the best of the AF 50's. I had both and sold them. But the FA43 and DA*55 perform at a completely different level. The DA*55 is the only Pentax lens around 50mm that can shoot with very high IQ at f/1.6 or even 1.4. Perhaps my K50/1.2 comes close, but it really is stronger in other areas (such as rendering beautiful backgrounds). All other Pentax ~50's need to be stopped down to at least f/2 to perform anywhere near to their potential, IQ-wise.

The only other fast Pentax lenses that come to mind which perform so well near wide-open are the FA77 Ltd, FA31 Ltd, and FA*85. It's a very short list, and actually the DA*55 is the cheapest one on it (though it probably should be, since 50ish lenses are still generally simpler than other focal lengths). So even at $600 it's not really overpriced.

So its looking like the DA 55mm is a potential expansion of my soon to be package (at some point)...at least focal length wise it bridges a hole in between the 40 and 70...The only reason the reviews it seems to have gotten knocked down to less than stellar is the AF isn't great and its over priced. Throw the price out and to me the AF is something I could live with.

The 21mm is something else entirely. IF---oh lets get real---when---I buy another lens I will give the 21mm a chance. Its small and light enough to not be a burden yet I see people are making good images with it.

To be honest though that's funny. 6 months ago when I first started with all this stuff and never fired a shot with a DSLR I was enamored with long lenses. Now I am completely on the other end of things. I have the Tamron 70-200 and a DAL 55-300.... the Tamron is a beast. Its super heavy and to be honest I use it a lot. As do I use my 17-50mm. The 10-24 sees action too.

Thanks for the links stormtech.... I was planning to look them up but you just cut the chase for me
12-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

To be honest though that's funny. 6 months ago when I first started with all this stuff and never fired a shot with a DSLR I was enamored with long lenses. Now I am completely on the other end of things. I have the Tamron 70-200 and a DAL 55-300.... the Tamron is a beast. Its super heavy and to be honest I use it a lot. As do I use my 17-50mm. The 10-24 sees action too.

Thanks for the links stormtech.... I was planning to look them up but you just cut the chase for me
You're welcome!

Your comment about being enamored with long glass strikes a chord with me. Since I do all my shooting at home, and am surrounded by wildlife here in the boonies, I've been on a mission of sorts with long glass trying to capture the critters. Mostly this has been a frustrating experience since the long glass I've had is just never long enough.

I recently purchased a used DA* 16-50 - mostly because I've always wanted to try one - and find myself using it a lot more than I thought I would. It has taught me to "see" more instead of just looking for critters. But, my scenic type of shooting is quite limited since I have the same scenes everyday limiting myself to shooting at home. But, now that I have added the DA*55, I also find I am using it a lot more than I thought. I don't do any portraits or people shots, but again the 55 has made me "see" in a different perspective.
12-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I live so far out in the boonies its crazy. I am surrounded by over 250 square miles of forest. It takes about a 20 minute drive to get to any place that sells gasoline. I am feeling your sentiment there for sure.

I am telling you though...that 15mm is a thing of beauty. WOW.
12-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I live so far out in the boonies its crazy. I am surrounded by over 250 square miles of forest. It takes about a 20 minute drive to get to any place that sells gasoline. I am feeling your sentiment there for sure.

I am telling you though...that 15mm is a thing of beauty. WOW.
Sounds familiar! I live in the middle of a 200,000 acre state forest. I can get gas 9 miles away, but any grocery shopping etc is 29 miles - love it!

12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Mine arrives Monday if UPS is on time, It's listed as in transit to delivery from Sydney to Brisbane after a quick trip from Adorama. I finally got the snafu sorted. It was the thank you price for all you guys spending big on Black Friday. Thanks guys. Even with the high postage costs we have to pay to get stuff from the US, it is still about $200 cheaper than here. We are the rip off nation.

Looking forward to some wide open shooting. Landscapes look out. My FA 100 might get jealous.

Australia taxes everything. A lot.

I love Aussie, but man its expensive down there. I lived in OZ pretty close to 3 years total.
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sounds familiar! I live in the middle of a 200,000 acre state forest. I can get gas 9 miles away, but any grocery shopping etc is 29 miles - love it!
What state are you in again????

I am in Texas...
12-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote

I have been thinking it over and adding the 21mm and the 55mm DA f1.4 to my lens kit would make it complete. I would get a second camera body and then just let it roll. 5 lenses total... I will be thinking about it and looking them over in the coming months.
12-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

What state are you in again????

I am in Texas...
Pennsylvania
12-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have been thinking it over and adding the 21mm and the 55mm DA f1.4 to my lens kit would make it complete. I would get a second camera body and then just let it roll. 5 lenses total... I will be thinking about it and looking them over in the coming months.
You mentioned you have a 17-50...I'm assuming Tamron? Personally I think it makes the 21 Limited redundant, unless you find yourself not carrying the 17-50 around because of its size.
12-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes its a Tamron. I probably can carry just that one zoom. Its nearly redundant as to focal length for almost everything. I have a tamron 10-24 and a 70-200...

So really and truly any prime I get will be redundant when it comes to focal length.

It brings up a good question about what one gains shooting primes and if anything would be gained at all by buying primes.
12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I look at it this way...at least from the tests out there.

The wide end of the 17-50 is better than the long end of the 10-24. The 15 makes the middle range of the 10-24 redundant, so how much you use the 10-24 going forward depends on how much use you get from the 10-14mm range.

The 40, is better than the 17-50 at that FL. So it's not redundant.

The 70 and Tamron 70-200 are both very good but the 70-200 is gigantic while the 70 is tiny. So it's not redundant.

If you look at the 21, the performance of the 17-50 at that FL is better, plus you get a faster aperture.

If you carry only the 15, 40 and 70, even though the 15 is rather wide, it has pretty low distortion so you can crop to a FOV like the 21 and still have good results. Or just move in closer.

So that's where I figure the 21 doesn't really give you any unique benefit beyond another small prime to slip in the bag instead of the 17-50 if you really want to have something between the 15 and 40. If you like that particular benefit, then hey it's your money.